Finding a doctor (Read 822 times)

I've moved in the past 6 months or so, and I'm still looking for a doctor in the area. I've been asking advice from people and trying to find someone who's taking new patients and who is on my insurance plan. I finally got an appointment, and through the physical, I thought this doc was the one. And then, after the appointment, she had some suggestions for me. She said them sort of passively, "I"m not going to tell you to do this, but you should..." 1. Lose 10 lbs. Ok, yes, nothing new here. 2. Stop running. Wha??? Stop running? Why? (Recent knee probs aside,) I reported no injuries from running. I'm not even a high mileage runner - I'd like to get back up to 20 miles a week. Her only statement was "Running isn't good for you." I hear this isn't uncommon to hear. What have others done in this situation? I have to find a new doctor, because since I saw her, something changed and she no longer takes my insurance. But what do you say to a doctor who seems to come from nowhere and says that "running is bad."

Lazy idiot

But what do you say to a doctor who seems to come from nowhere and says that "running is bad."
      1) Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it. I'm sure you'll understand that I'll be searching for another doctor in this area. 2) Who says you have to listen to everything your doctor tells you, anyway? Wink I'd use your insurance company's website to find a new doctor in your area. Most of them have very comprehensive websites that will help you out.

Tick tock

JakeKnight

2. Stop running.
        Honest to God, if I ever hear a doctor tell me this - I plan to lay back on that stupid foam table with the crunchy rolled-out paper on it ... ... and laugh my fool head off. For like ten straight minutes. I'm going to point at the doctor approximately every two minutes, and then start laughing harder, like he's the funniest damn thing I ever saw. As my laughter finally begins to taper off a bit, I plan to get up and go examine his diploma. Very carefully. And then sigh and roll my eyes. Maybe I'll ask for a transcript. At some point, I'll be sure to ask where he keeps the leaches and the drill to put holes in patients' heads. Then I'll wipe the tears still streaming down my face, pick up my cell phone, and call my insurance company as a I leave the office - and very loudly apologize for the bill they'll soon be getting from this quack.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes. Find a new doctor. Oh, and before you do, ask your doc to show you real scientific evidence from good studies to back up her assertion.
          JakeKnight

Yes. Find a new doctor.
            After you stop laughing at him.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why would you stop laughing at your first doctor?
              Ringmaster

Well, especially when such good aerobic exercise is the best way to lose the 10 lbs she told you to go out and lose in the first place . . .

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                Mile by Mile

A Saucy Wench

Well good lord...did she tell you to take up smoking too? I hear back in the day they used to think it killed germs. And hey..helps with that 10 lb thing right? quack quack quack Actually I have had 2 health care professionals tell me to quit running. The first also told me I would never be able to drive a stick shift or sit on a couch again either. yeah. The second was a physical therapist. Clearly I listened to neither. I also never went back and actively "un-recommend" them. I like laughing. I might try that next time.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

finney

Resident pinniped

Find a doctor who also runs. It's a legitimate question to ask. Before you schedule an appointment (or even after, you can also cancel) explain to the doctor that you run, would like to continue to do so, and want a doctor that's runner-friendly, and ask if they run. Second, find a doctor who has the time to actually call you. If the receptionist says that's not possible, keep shopping. If the doctor can't be assed to call a potential patient, then certainly he or she isn't going to be there to listen to your questions or concerns either. Third, go by word of mouth from your friends or other runners. This is not foolproof, but it's a good jumping off point.
                      Honest to God, if I ever hear a doctor tell me this - I plan to lay back on that stupid foam table with the crunchy rolled-out paper on it ... ... and laugh my fool head off. For like ten straight minutes. I'm going to point at the doctor approximately every two minutes, and then start laughing harder, like he's the funniest damn thing I ever saw. As my laughter finally begins to taper off a bit, I plan to get up and go examine his diploma. Very carefully. And then sigh and roll my eyes. Maybe I'll ask for a transcript. At some point, I'll be sure to ask where he keeps the leaches and the drill to put holes in patients' heads. Then I'll wipe the tears still streaming down my face, pick up my cell phone, and call my insurance company as a I leave the office - and very loudly apologize for the bill they'll soon be getting from this quack.
                      I was feeling pretty down last night and hadn't felt even slightly happy today.....until I read JK's posting. Talk about laugh my a** off!!! My friend, anytime I'm feeling down, I want you to pay me a visit.....in between the feelgood benefits of running, and having funny guys like you around, depression is a thing of the past. Thank you Big grin
                        This has certainly been a good laugh but on a serious note I had a doctor that said the same exact thing. I decided that day that I will look for a general doctor that was a runner. I found a doctor that had 10 marathons under his belt so I figured my new doctor would not tell me to just "stop running". This has been the case and I am very happy with him. Since you are new to your area ask around. check with other runners who they go to and hopefully your insurance covers them. If you do not know other runners check with a local running club and get a recommendation from a member. If you do not know a club in your area go to http://www.rrca.org and do a search for a club. One thing you can always says about the running community is we are supportive and if there is a good doctor for runners they will refer you. Mike P.S. - Next time something like this happens I might suggest you submit a urinalysis on his diploma.

Lazy idiot

P.S. - Next time something like this happens I might suggest you submit a urinalysis on his diploma.
                          For some reason (?) this made me laugh a little. Cool

Tick tock

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you can't find a doctor who runs, find one who is very active in some other sports pursuits. My PCP is awesome. In his mid 40s and at least 3 times that I've been in the office he's been on crutches for snowboarding accidents (he's had at least one knee surgery from it). did has also been out biking and pedaled along with him for a few miles. He's not a runner, but he is active and I can't imagine him EVER telling me to stop (injuries obviously have not made him stop doing what he loves). He did warn me at one point to be careful to avoid stress fractures, since they are more common in women runners (especially those new to the sport and this was before I had been running more than maybe 9 months), which I actually appreciated. It showed that he understood running and running injuries enough to give me encouragement and advice to help keep me running safely. He's also done a lot to help treat my allergies and asthma, which have also made running more comfortable for me. I've actually contemplated keeping my doc even if we were to move a half hour away. Or at least have him recommend someone with similar background and bedside manner closer to where we'd likely move.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

areesemd

Yes. Find a new doctor. Oh, and before you do, ask your doc to show you real scientific evidence from good studies to back up her assertion.
                              My thoughts exactly. The big thing now is evidence-based medicine. Granted, there isn't an evidenced based answer for every question, but an assertion like this needs some hard proof. Did she give a specific reason, or was it the assumption that it's bad for joints? I was just at a conference where a great Sports Medicine Family Physician discussed exercise and arthritis, and he made these points: - normal joints are at increased risk of developing arthritis in absence of exercise - abnormal joints (including history of injury) are at increased risk (even with low impact activities) - longitudinal studies on runners have not shown a consistent risk of arthritis. As far as dumping the doctor, I think you have to weigh things. She may be good enough to keep for other medical issues if you like her and she seems to provide good/reasonable care. Just come here for your running advice. Gotta get back to work. Andy
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yay! Another Doc!! Big grin Andy, what do you practice? I'm a MedPeds.