Harry's spring run-off 8k report (Read 501 times)

So, I showed up an hour early to warm up, be prepared. I've been running almost 20 mile weeks since about January and felt ready for the race. After having ran through snow, sleet, freezing cold temperatures, ice, etc...today's temp was 6C at race time promising to go up to 13C later on this beautiful sunny day. Warmed up to get in the groove for about 10 minutes. I was corralled for the first time (how demeaning!) and took just over 1 minute to get to the starting line. Started off nice and steady - I felt confident in my ability to at least make the distance despite the many hills in this race. I live in a hilly area so felt prepared. First 2 km were fine, then we went down one of the hills that we would eventually go back up. I was running strong down the hill, feeling good, picking up some speed, got to a flat spot, when all of a sudden I felt like someone had kicked me in my left side! Shocked Stitch! I have never had one like that before. I tried breathing into it but it kept hurting more and more and I also knew my first hill was coming up. I started walking and holding my side trying to lessen the pain. Runners around me were shouting "Deep breaths! Deep breaths!" Keep going! Man it was sore! The deep breaths eventually kicked in, but the whole episode wiped me out. I trudged up the hill still in pain, kept going, but I could never get into a groove. I kept trying to visualize the way I felt on my good runs, looking at the great scenery, thinking calming thoughts, but to no avail. In the end, I walked up the final 400m hill until the very top, where I made the effort to "run" past the finish line with a disappointing 59:05. Cry I'm going to blame it on the stitch, but I should have been able to recover from that. I'm just going to HTFU and keep going. And, since it was my first official 8k, it is a PR, although not one I'm going to share with too many people. Blush

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Don't beat yourself up.... that hill was a bitch! I ran the race too..... it was so nice to run in some decent weather. ...... sporting life 10k......... are you thinking about it? Thanks for the report! Jason
        Went out too fast........you were warned Wink. Anyway you gutted it out and crossed the line to finish, rather than just throw in the towel halfway through, which is good. You must have been motoring when you got that stitch, I haven't had one since I was a kid, because I can't run fast enough Big grin. It was a great day for a race and High Park is very scenic, unfortunately very hilly as well. Congratulations on finishing and the PR. You gained experience. Next time don't go flying down those hills.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Don't beat yourself up.... that hill was a bitch! ...... sporting life 10k......... are you thinking about it?
          Nice race Jason! Did the Kenyans cleanup........again? The sporting life 10k, May 4th will be my first race. It is the one I will be basing my marathon training times on (Scotia bank waterfront Sept 28th)

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

It's a tricky course, and you learn a lot running it. Today's lesson will help next year, I promise. It's a punishing course. I ran today too, it was my third time doing the Spring Run-Off. The first time I ran it, I went out way too fast, sped up going down Spring Road and I was reduced to a jog by the halfway mark. I remembered the humiliation and ran a great race last year, as well as this year. The key to that race is to be able to run a strong second half and keep something in reserve for the last hill. Resist the urge to follow someone running like a bat out of hell in the first mile, even if you feel like you're jogging.
              Thanks everyone! I do feel a teeny bit less humiliated now! Blush And yes, Jason, I'm signed up for the Sporting Life 10K. Any pointers?

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

The same as this one: it's a long race, there's lots of time to make up ground, so don't go out too fast. Your first couple of kilometres should feel very easy, and you shouldn't feel like you're working to stay with anyone or chasing someone to stay with them. The second half is where you do all the hard work, not the first. Go with the hills, but don't push.
                  Thanks everyone! I do feel a teeny bit less humiliated now! Blush And yes, Jason, I'm signed up for the Sporting Life 10K. Any pointers?
                  Stay behind me...........guarantee no side stitches Big grin