Lehigh Valley HM RR (Read 533 times)

Prince of Fatness

Cross posted on kickrunners.com This race was to be a redemption of sorts. Last year I ran it but went into the training with a few extra pounds, and was running everything too fast while building mileage. This resulted in a hamstring injury 3 weeks prior to the race. I tried to give it a go but the injury reappeared at mile 3 and I gimped in from there. I decided that if I wanted to improve I need to lose some weight and train smarter. I spent the remainder of last year running more miles but at a slower pace, and completed my first marathon in the fall. Spent the winter just logging the miles, averaging at least 10 more mpw than I ever had in the winter. More importantly I made sure I got out for 10-12 miles each Sunday. Bumped up the miles a bit more in Feb / Mar and added a midweek tempo run to the schedule. Kept it pretty simple. So, about 15 pounds lighter and with a higher, smarter, mileage base, my goals for Sunday were simple. 1 - 1:42:49 (PR) 2 - sub 1:40 I came up with a pace plan for the 1:40. I really thought I had a good shot at it and figured that if I blew up a bit I could still PR. The weather was not going to be an excuse … cloudy and around 50 degrees. Well it was a battle but I made it. Chip time was 1:39:51. Here are my splits. 1 - 7:32 2 - 7:45 3 - 7:33 4 - 7:38 5 - 7:35 6 - 7:42 7 - 7:30 8 - 8:03 9 - 7:21 10 - 8:11 11 - 7:10 12 - 7:55 13.1 - 7:56 (7:09) I had some problems with my pacing at the end. Last few miles I was saying “I have it”, then “I don’t have it”. I knew I had to push that last 1.1 miles, and was very pleased that I had it in me. For a minute there I though that I had lost it. The only disappointment was a case of the chills afterward. It was raw out and once I stopped running I couldn’t keep warm, so headed home right away so I could get a nice warm shower. I would have liked to stick around and watch the Kickrunners that I knew were there finish. All in all it was a great day. Thanks for reading.

Not at it at all. 

Wow~ What a difference a race with great training will make! Thanks for posting,and thanks for helping with my own training as I make the transition to becoming a real runner by attempting my first Half. Your advice has been great, and I am grateful. Nothing like a Nice Warm Shower after a cold run. Congratulations and Enjoy your accomplishment! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Another Passion

Wow! I should *gimp* so fast! Well done.

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Prince of Fatness

Cheffy and rvelich, Thanks for the kind words.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations on your race! It was great you could push your way through the last part like you did. Beat your previous PR by 3 minutes!
              Way to GO MrPHin!!!! Weather was PERFECT wasn't it!! CONGRATS on new PR!!! That race has got to be my Fav HM!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prince of Fatness

Thanks Teresa
                Way to GO MrPHin!!!! Weather was PERFECT wasn't it!! CONGRATS on new PR!!! That race has got to be my Fav HM!
                Weather sure was perfect. This is one of favorite races, too. I can't believe that this was my 5th year in a row running it. I'm to the point that I just sign up a soon as registration opens in the fall. I know I am going to end up deciding to do it, so I might as well register early and save a few bucks. Thanks.

Not at it at all. 

mldrabenstott

Congrats on your sub 1:40! I'm on the Lehigh Valley Half Marathon race committee. Thanks for your comments about the race. I see how hard the other committee members and volunteers work all year to make the race ideal for runners of all ages, shapes, sizes and speeds. Glad you had a good time -- and happy to hear that you're going to register early. We may sell out in January in 2009. Have fun building off your new PR. We'll look for you crossing the line next year -- maybe even farther below below 1:40! Michael
                    Nice run MrPh, You did all the right things and it paid off in a big way. Keep up the good work and there will be more from where this came.
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33