Question about abdominal soreness (Read 737 times)

tchp

I have been running for four days to prepare for a 10k run that I was persuaded to enter by a friend. Prior to that it had been 23 years ago in high school since I had last ran. My first day, I did a 2 mile route, but the longest distance I was able to run rather than walk was around 1/8 mile. The second day I did the same route, and was able to run 1/4 mile without stopping to walk. On day three I did a 3 mile route and was suddenly able to run 1 ½ miles of it non-stop without much difficulty. On day 4 (yesterday) I ran 4.2 miles non-stop but actually felt like I could have kept going at the end (except my legs were hurting pretty bad). The problem I have today is that I have some kind of injury to my abdominal area that occurred during my 4.2 mile run yesterday, under the bottom of my rib cage (on both sides). It is like some tissues got really irritated or torn by the up and down movement of running (I do not have a lot of abdominal fat, but there is a little bit, and my abdomen is probably not all that well toned). I went out to run this morning and actually had to stop right away because the pain was too severe. I see lots of web references about side-stitches, side-aches, etc, when I tried to find info about it, but I am not sure those conditions apply to my case. I can run my fingers around the area below my rib cage and it is really tender. Does this condition have a name? I am wondering if it is caused by bad technique on my part, or if it is just one of those things that happens when your body is not use to running. Thanks.

Hawt and sexy

You tore something there. This happened to me in college when I did too much too fast too soon. Just slow down if you want to continue running, save the fast stuff for race day (This is assuming the race is fairly close, like in the next 4-6 weeks). Beyond slowing down there is not much you can do to let that area heal faster, it just needs to run its course. I know it sucks and the pain is in an awkward place, but you will be fine. Again, just slow down, then you will have no problem running as far as you can stand. You may surprise yourself.

I'm touching your pants.

That is a lot of consecutive days of running for coming off a 23 year break! Sounds like you definitely strained or hurt something which I would sort of expect for that sort of re-entry to running. It is important to rest and it is important to listen to all of your body, not just your cardio system. Take time to break into it slowly and be sure to get enough rest between runs. When is the 10K race?
        The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
        • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
        • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
        • Complete a 10K fun run
        tchp

I guess I am being pretty dumb here. The run is on the 7th. So, overall I had something like 9 days to go from last having run 23 years ago, to trying to run a 10k. Not very realistic, and probably a bit dangerous. I was feeling pretty optimistic when I made it to the 4 mile mark, but it comes as no surprise that I have ended up injuring myself. From the way it feels, I probably will not be able to run tomorrow either. My legs have recovered well, but whatever got stretched or torn in my abdominal area is still pretty tender.
            Trying to train for a 10K in four days with zero base, you're lucky that's all you hurt. Never let someone talk you into a race if you aren't prepared for it. My advice is to stop running now, tell your "friend" to enjoy their 10K without you and get yourself healed. If you still feel like running afterward, follow one of the beginner's running programs like the C25K over at CoolRunning. Tom
            monikam

Holly cow.. Some "friend" you have.... If he or she is a runner they should know that training for 10K with zero base and 9 days to go, you can only hurt yourself... Stop running and let your body heal... Then if you still want to run, go about it slowly... there is no rush.. Good luck!!
              Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon - Sep 28
              tchp

The run itself is an optional run/walk in Portland, OR. The friend who talked me into it is also my cousin, and I don't think she necessarily had an expectation for me to run the entire thing, so it is not like she is big meanie or anything. It was really me who started getting overly enthused about the idea of getting to the point where I could at least run the entire 10k distance without walking, albeit at a slow pace.
                  It was really me who started getting overly enthused about the idea of getting to the point where I could at least run the entire 10k distance without walking, albeit at a slow pace.
                  Getting excited about the distance is great, just make sure you take the time to do it properly so you don't end up sidelined with an injury. Ten kilometers is a long way to run without proper conditioning. Tom