Runners that take themselves too Seriously (Read 1533 times)

Kimmie

This is a pet peeve of mine lately. I belong to a running group and when we started out, most of us were newer runners who were working on completing their first marathons. but now it's 4 years later and people have progressively gotten faster, whereas, I'm about the same or slower. I run about 25 miles a week and occasionally do speedwork. Sometimes, I can eek out a decent race time, but most of the time, I finish around the middle of the pack and I'm OK with that. But what I don't understand is how SOME of the people in my group just don't seem to enjoy it anymore. After a race is over, sometimes I'm happy, sometimes I'm not happy, it depends. But it seems like lately, after a race, these runners are NEVER happy. They're always talking about how they could have done better. I'll give you an example: On 3/16 , I ran a 10 miler. Now, my 10 mile PR is 1:24, but that was on a greater weekly mileage that just isn't realistic for me to maintain. So, this day was raining and i just went to see what I could do- ended up finishing in 1:30. I was happy. I hadn't been training all that seriously and I was proud of myself for surviving the hills and the rain and still not doing too shabby for me. The people in my group ran in the 1:15 range and my one friend ran a 1:20, I think. I cross the finish totally happy and she says to me "You and I have to start doing more speedwork." And then she continues to talk about how the others were so much faster. Kind of killed my vibe a little bit. So, this past weekend, 3/22, I ran another 10 miler. It was so much fun and I finished about 1:31. So, still no PR, but I met some amazing people, ran a negative split, and really enjoyed the scenery. And not to be mean, but I was kind of glad that no one from my running group was there. So, what's the deal with people being negative? I mean, what's the point of running if you're only going to critique yourself constantly and want to get faster. I get the competitive drive. I am competitive too.... up to a point. As for me, I do have a secret ambition to BQ. I've given up analyzing why I'm getting slower instead of faster. I really do think it's a weekly mileage thing. And, unless I sacrifice more sleep or more time away from my family, it's probably not going to happen for me. Part of me thinks that if I BQ, then that still won't be good enough, I will just have to get faster. I mean, if we're all recreational runners, what's the point of being so hard on yourself? Ok, rant over.... I just don't want people in the group to feel sorry for me that I'm not as fast as them or as fast as I used to be. And I want them to have fun with their running. I feel like I'm the only one who ends up happy after a race. (Just so I don't sound too negative myself, I'm basically venting here. I do think the people in my group are nice and I love the benefits of running with a group. )

My legs are killing me

I hear you on this and to some extent I think we are all guilty of it (myself included). A couple of years ago I could run a minute straight and on Saturday I had a PR in a 10k but yesterday when I was running I was thinking about how fortunate all of us are to be blessed with 1) the motivation to do this 2) the health to be able to do run. I think sometimes we, as runners, don't take enough time to appreciate how far we've come or what we accomplished.
        I run with someone who is a natural runner and is much faster than me. Fortunately for me he is always the first one to notice when I've improved. If your running club is not being supportive of you and is not running for the same reasons you are maybe it is time to either find a new club or start your own.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

Sounds like it's time to start your own club. There's no sense reinventing the wheel, you can use some of the information from the Somerville Striders site at http://www.clydesdale.org/SSAC/join.html. For starters, nominate a cool President for Life. Here's Buddy ordering up a scotch and water. Then put rules in place that allow runners of all abilities to be comfortable, like these: We are an easy club to be a part of..however there are (10) caveats: 1. Getting better as a runner is up to you--NO COACH'S or wannabee COACH'S allowed:>) 2. You will get out of it as much as you put in 3.If you need to see all your results posted on this website--FORGET IT!! 4. A sense of humor is a must, if you're a little stiff--we can ease you up a bit but only a bit:>) 5. If you require structure, meetings, elections, a voice--see one of the MANY CLUBS available for this, we are pretty much off the wall, unstructured, (1) voice, a dog and a partridge in a pear tree. 6. If you like to run and then chat about President Bush, the Boston Red Sox (we believe the "Yankees Suck" on our side of town), Harry Truman or who really shot J.R.--your greatly welcomed, if you enjoy non-stop chatter about your splits then see #5:>) 7. We respect the sport, work hard at the events we host and direct but in the end we realize that this is all supposed to be fun, healthy & relaxing and if you feel different then see #5:>) 8. We support many needy organizations as well as have many needy organizations support us !! If an organization allows us the use of their property--we give back and that sometimes means reaching into one's pocket--if this is a chore for you, then see #5>) 9. No Cliques allowed...Absolutely NONE! 10. Volunteering at Club Events is the "IN Thing To Do" With Us... if all you want to do is run-well then see #5>) 10A. Don't be suddenly surprised about #10.:>) 10B. Women with "bad grammar peeves" NOT allowed or tolerated:>) I'm actually planning to join the Greater Lowell Roadrunners this spring, because that's where I run most of my races. If that wasn't the case, I'd be giving Buddy a call cuz I love their rules.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

A quick observation. Running in groups works for some and not others. If all are "aerobically equal" it probably works the best. Often when several folks of different ability and motivation run together, either some run too fast and others may run too slow--if there is such a thing. Running is pretty much an individual sport. Stay focused on what works for you. Allow others to be where they are. Makes life more interesting. Continue to have fun. Nick

The Greatest of All Time

If you're the only happy person after a race, I think that speaks loudly. I have had 'poor' races where maybe I didn't make the time I wanted to, but I don't do this for a living. I don't have endorsement deals riding on race results. On the other hand, I am very highly competitive and always have been. But as I have aged I have learned to chill the hell out and just enjoy the ride. I train like a madman to give myself purpose. I watch and count almost every calorie I eat. But at the end of the day I don't think I take running too seriously. If we are running we are all winners. Just getting your butt out the door for the slowest of short runs puts you ahead of over 90% of American adults. Don't worry about those around you. Just keep being happy after races and you will keep doing this for a long, long time in a very healthy fashion.
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              Kimmie

I think I may come across too harshly on my group and possibly just need to focus on how to get everyone to lighten up a little bit. I do like my group and they have helped with motivation and consistency. Maybe I should start another thread, titled, Why am I getting slower? Smile Thanks for letting me vent.

The Greatest of All Time

I think I may come across too harshly on my group and possibly just need to focus on how to get everyone to lighten up a little bit.
                  Suggestion...pass around magic brownies before a run. On a side note, I used to work and run with a guy that was in his mid 30's, had been a graduate student for like a decade, and normally ran 5k's in about 16. Anyway, he always raced completely stoned. I swear to God! He claimed he felt the road better when high.
                  all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                    I'd often wondered about this (not racing, but just running) but my bad days are behind me. Once I ran a4 miles after having 4 Guinness (I had interviewed a Guinness dude whose job it was to teach bars how to properly serve the stout.) Didn't do bad.

Feeling the growl again

To a point, if you are all happy/positive and not hungry at the end you're not as likely to improve as much as someone who is always hungry and analyzing what they could have done better. Being negative and ticked is one thing; talking about how to improve next time is quite another. However, that's an individual thing and I can see how it would peeve you if they start trying to rope you into their goals and ambitions. That would be quite irritating. I don't know about high in a race, never been into that, but a group of college friends and I used to show up annually at a small local 8k the morning after a beer tent. Typically we would show up, half of us needing to be poured out of the backseat and into our flats, and sweep the top 6-8 spots. We were legendary. One year a buddy was on his knees still when the gun went off and set a course record in around 26:20 while I could barely finish. The next year I was in as bad or worse shape as he had been and set a still-standing record of 26:12. Sometimes it gave us strength, but more often than not it just made for a terrible, terrible 5 miles.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

I hear exactly what you are saying...one of my original running buddies is not only never happy, she is down right miserable most of the time. I remember one race where she was predicting she would run I think it was a 2:05 best case scenario, she ran a 2:04 which was a 9 minute PR and she was seriously pissed that she didnt break 2:00. Moped about it for weeks. Eventually I had to quit running with her because it was too miserable to be around her. I understand wanting to do better all the time, but celebrate where you are! I wanted to break 4:00 last year in PDX but knew it was a very long shot. I hit 4:02:53. I was thrilled. Before I got pg I was on track to do a 4:18-4:20 so hitting 4:02 a year after my ds was born was awesome. I also know some mistakes I made that would have made 4:00 more likely so that is still there to analyze and act on, but you can still be happy while wanting to improve. I honestly struggle with people who PR and then say "I sucked" Next time someone comments on how you should be running faster say point blank that you are happy with your race and have no plans to go faster. I think some people cant understand not wanting to improve.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Kimmie

To a point, if you are all happy/positive and not hungry at the end you're not as likely to improve as much as someone who is always hungry and analyzing what they could have done better. Being negative and ticked is one thing; talking about how to improve next time is quite another.
                          this is actually what someone said to me this morning. If you're too positive, you might get complacent. Hmm..... I don't know about that. This is how I see it: I am willing to work hard while I'm out there ( if it's hills, speed or just endurance) My life/schedule allows me to comfortably run about 30-35 miles a week... any more than that and it starts getting tough. So, if running 50 miles a week would make me faster, than it's just not going to happen. So, I do the best I can and see what happens every time. It's almost like I'm in the middle.... there are those who are the "top" runners who have qualified for Boston and typically train around 60 miles a week and then there are those who run around 15 miles a week and rarely compete in races. I want to run about 30 miles per week and throw some races here and there. There just seems to be no place for the "occasional racer who just wants to have fun with it."
                          Kimmie

ok, sorry for the post above..... I guess I'm still figuring out how to quote. Ennay.... I like you! Smile
                              Kimmie There are probably as many reasons why people run as there are runners! Some people run just to maintain their weight without any interest in racing. Others like to race just for the camaraderie and do not worry about finishing times. Some are very competitive and are very concerned about how fast they race or how high they place in the field. None of them are right or wrong, only different. We choose to be the runner we are and should be happy with our decision. You seem to be very content with yours. Do not worry about others. Just enjoy the ride! My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                              Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                                Kimmie, I feel you on the original post. That's exactly why I never have, and probably never will enter a race. It's just not what running is about for me.
                                And who am I anyway?
                                Just another fat jogger, evidently.