Morning runs, do you eat first? (Read 945 times)

Jill_B

I fly.

I used to eat a bowl of oatmeal before I ran in the morning, but I sort of got away from it. Now I'm starving when I wake up and have been trying to eat first, but then I feel sick during my run. So I'm wondering if and what folks eat before they run (this is for morning runs, when I run in the evening I've obviously been eating all day and if I feel sick, well oh well).

Bring it on.

The Greatest of All Time

I do not eat before ANY morning runs these days. I used to eat a Powerbar before races on GP, but I don't know that it made any difference. I do generally have a cup of coffee though.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        Oats, did somebody say oats? Well, for my long runs, I need to eat (oats) 1-2 hours before I beggin running. As for anything under 8-10 miles, I generally eat when I am done. I find I have plenty of energy for my run and it feels better than running on a full stomache. I am starving hungry by the time I get home, but it makes the meal all the more enjoyable.

Supa Dupa Fly

I don't normally eat or drink anything before a morning run.
          ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I always do. I feel sick if I don't eat...blood sugar issues (and I'm a bitch...a hungry queasy bitch. Not a nice person). I tend to like things like whole wheat bagel or toast with PB or a fried egg. Gotta have coffee, too. 'Cause ya' gotta poop before ya' run. Blush

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

I usually eat part of a banana or PB on toast. That's it. No coffee, so no poop.
                "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
                jeffdonahue

Nope, up and out the door - no food.
                    No. Unless it is a weekend long run or a race, in which case I will usually have a banana and a glass of Gatorade or something like it. That said, before my last HM I ate oatmeal with bananas, blueberries, almonds, raisins, cinnamon, and brown sugar. And some coffee. Mostly because of the later start time (10 am), but it worked well enough.
                    Lisa3.1

Yes, fruit and juice. If I don't I feel sick.
                      Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I used to eat a bowl of oatmeal before I ran in the morning, but I sort of got away from it. Now I'm starving when I wake up and have been trying to eat first, but then I feel sick during my run. So I'm wondering if and what folks eat before they run (this is for morning runs, when I run in the evening I've obviously been eating all day and if I feel sick, well oh well).
                        The only morning runs I do are the Saturday long runs. I would wake up some 1.5 to 2 hours before the run and would eat a bowl of oatmeal and yogurt. I can't run on an empty stomach because I'll be out of gas 3 or 4 miles into a run. That said, I always eat before any run. I noticed that if I don't cook my oatmeal real well, my stomach would be unhappy with me during the run. I think the not cooked so well oatmeal is harder to digest and with the blood diverted away from the digestive tract, it does a number on me. So I boil the oatmeal for a long time and that seems to help.

A Saucy Wench

Mid week runs which are ~ 5:30 ish I get up and go. I usually try to drink a glass of water, sometimes I do an emergen-C pack in it. Not really food, but the B-vitamins seem to kick in fast. Week-end runs which are a little later I usually have a kashi bar or a piece of toast with cream cheese or something small. Races I usually eat a pretty decent size breakfast 3 hours or so before the race. oatmeal and eggs or something like that depending on what time the race is and how early I get up. I usually have to drive a ways to the races and I am one of those get there early types so if I eat when I get up it usually has plenty of time to be gone before race time.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Giant Flaming Dork

Nope. No eating until after the run. For me there are too many calories when you combine some sort of breakfast and a post run recovery meal. I have run upwards of 6.5 miles this way and have not run out of gas. However, I have plenty of stored energy around my waist. Blush Post run meal for me is one packet of oatmeal. To each their own.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Depending on when, if I'm running in the morning, I'm usually out the door within 20 mins and other than maybe 1/2 a glass of water I take in nothing else. But I also am not running long runs, my longest is only 3-4 miles so far, I'll probably need more when I extend my long runs. This weekend I have a race and it starts at 9am, I'll probably put down some coffee and maybe a bagel or something if I wake up early enough (like before 7am) I need a good 1.5 hours to digest or my stomach gets all screwed up! Dead
                              -Jen
                              2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!

Junior Amphibian

No, I never eat before my normal workouts becase I tend to get sick if my stomach is full. However, I do drink a glass or two of some drink, usually tea with sugar. I could probably tolerate a sports drink as well. Whether or not you need carbs before your run depends on your training. If you do easy and long runs (i.e. your aerobic zone), you don't really need carbs, as most of your energy will come from your fat reserves. But if you plan on doing interval and tempo runs (your anaerobic zone), then it would be wise to have a simple carb food (chocolate bar, orange or, juice etc...) about 1 hour before the run. The reason here is that anaerobic training cannot burn fat, and if there's a shortage of carbs, your body will burn its own muscle, which is usually undesirable for most people.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard