swimming cross-training (Read 1519 times)

Hey there - Since I can't swim in my aerobic range for beans, I'm just wondering if you're really certain that you're working on your aerobic base and not tipping over into the anaerobic range more than it may seem like.

I really just wanted to ask that as a general question - do you swimmers monitor the pulse ranges at all? Or do you mostly go by feel?

I've tried a number of times to get more seriously into swimming, I really do love it as an exercise form, but the tedious mental aspect of going back and forth, back and forth, another lap, and then another and another.... is very tough for me to keep up for very long. I can run all day and enjoy every stride, but 45 minutes in the pool is hard labor for me. And lakes kind of creep me out, there's something about that d-e-e-e-e-p water that gets me nervous.

So, hats off to all you frogmen and -women!

I have no idea.  I just swim.  I'm probably doing it all wrong...which is par for the course since doing the running thing all wrong is what landed me in the pool to start with.  Ehn.  it's not rocket surgery.  I try not to overthink it...I just keep swimming.  I'm a pool swimmer, I don't like the cold ocean.  The closest Lake is a "look but don't touch" Lake, so I run around it. 

Jennifer mm#1231

protoplasm72

Hey there - Since I can't swim in my aerobic range for beans, I'm just wondering if you're really certain that you're working on your aerobic base and not tipping over into the anaerobic range more than it may seem like.

I really just wanted to ask that as a general question - do you swimmers monitor the pulse ranges at all? Or do you mostly go by feel?

I've tried a number of times to get more seriously into swimming, I really do love it as an exercise form, but the tedious mental aspect of going back and forth, back and forth, another lap, and then another and another.... is very tough for me to keep up for very long. I can run all day and enjoy every stride, but 45 minutes in the pool is hard labor for me. And lakes kind of creep me out, there's something about that d-e-e-e-e-p water that gets me nervous.

So, hats off to all you frogmen and -women!

Don't take your running training plan and convert it to swimming cause they are not at all the same.  Swimmers don't worry if they are working to hard, only if they are working hard enough.  Between intervals they sometimes check their pulse to make sure it is high enough.  Or they rest till their pulse drops to a certain level then start the next interval.  The only reason you don't train that way in running is because your body would break down.  

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson