Did Finish (Read 682 times)

bas

This is a follow up to a thread I started one year ago: DNF. The score is settled now. I Did Finish this time. Same race, same 30K, but this time all of them (and no Achilles tendon trouble...) Case closed. bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Sorry to hear it, Bas. Take care of yourself. And use this as motivation to come back and kick that race's @#$% next year.
      I think this makes Jake a psycho, or a psychic. I can never keep those two straight. Way to go bas, how to settle a score. I know there's much more to this story, can we trouble you for more details?

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Nice job bas! Way to show those 30k who's boss.
          So is there a follow up report? I guess, if this is it, well done on your finish. Big grin modal (who will stick with the current report but is always out for more details Smile )

Vim

Another Passion

Congrats bas! Determination at it's best! Big grin

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

bas

So is there a follow up report? I guess, if this is it, well done on your finish. Big grin modal (who will stick with the current report but is always out for more details Smile )
              OK, a follow up report... The Schoorl 30K is a beautiful race through the dunes of the Dutch coast. The weather was almost spring-like. At this event you have the choice of a 10K (also the Dutch national championships), half marathon and 30K. I chose the 30 for obvious reasons, even though my preparation had not been ideal for this distance. And I could feel that during the race! The first 20 kilometers were fantastic. I was maintaining a speed of 26 to 28 minutes for each 5K and I was counting on a finish time of around 2:50. That was not to be, though. After 22 km my legs started to hurt suddenly and badly. Ouch! 20 to 25 and 20 to 30 both took over 33 minutes, including several walking breaks. I finished for a large part because I refused to experience two DNF's in a row in this race. My finish time was 3:01:05, not as good as I had hoped, but not as bad as I was starting to fear during the last few kilometers. I'm glad I made it - but next time I run a 30K race I will make sure I am better prepared... bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, you have a PR, now...that's WAY better than a DNF, even if the race wasn't ideal for you. Nice job, Bas. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

I think this makes Jake a psycho, or a psychic.
                  Ha! And yes. To both. Well done, Bas. In my limited experience, there are few motivations better than a bad race. Settling that score is a delicious feeling, isn't it? I'll be curious to see if you go back for more next year.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

You'll ruin your knees!

The Schoorl 30K
                    Can't help it...I read this as Schoolgirl 30K...and it made me giggle... Way to go bas, congrats on getting that monkey off your back. Awesome that your AT didn't hinder your effort to knock this one down. I look forward to more success stories from you! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Congrats Bas! Way to come back and beat the race!