Why does it matter??? (Read 1343 times)

Vally

Why people want to find other people who are in a similar phase in life to talk to who have at least one thing in common? Or if people who started running together would like to continue running together? Or if a person chooses to post a question to people in a thread that not as many people have access to? In my opionion, what matters more is that there are a lot of people, who like to run, have a place where they can talk to each other, find support and have questions answered without attitude or being made to feel bad about the way in which they are participating, or feeling like they aren't part of a community b/c there is some private joke or conversation which they weren't privy to prior to arrival. Let people participate in the ways in which they are comfortable. Don't make them feel bad for it or make them eat "Humble Pie" b/c it is not your way. Celebrate the fact that so many people appreciate and like RA. It's funny, I removed all references to Cool Running from everything I had posted here to be sensitive to RA members and also b/c I chose this place to participate in. I did not want to re-create something, but I did want to connect with my running friends. I have seen mostly warm welcomes from the RA community, but there have been instances where you also see a little bit of resentment towards new members (whether they are from C/R or not). I felt good when I saw the welcome on the home page and now I see responses to threads that make me angry. You don't have to put down people of their topics b/c they aren't what you are used to seeing. At first I felt like I needed to be sensitive, now I feel like maybe some of the more tenured RA members need to practice a little sensitivity themselves. Now, let the onslaught of fury begin. Maybe, you can get it out of your system and we can all enjoy this place even more.
    va

...I felt good when I saw the welcome on the home page and now I see responses to threads that make me angry. You don't have to put down people of their topics b/c they aren't what you are used to seeing. At first I felt like I needed to be sensitive, now I feel like maybe some of the more tenured RA members need to practice a little sensitivity themselves...
      Hi Valerie, What responses made you angry? If you are more specific, maybe we can talk about it. Hopefully there won't be any onslaught or fury. Smile
        Hi Juststarted, I just finished wiping off the last few crumbs from my humble pie. I was intially taken back by some responses to my initial post. Many RA members pointed out it was the tone. I have to agree--though twas not my intent:then --now--or in the future to present myself as a gift--a guru maybe, not a gift. After 64 yrs on the planet, it was a reminder how we each impact others. Beleive it or not, there are some folks who really like me, some who can't stand me, and a bunch that are pretty much indifferent. When I was younger I would try to win over folks who gave off negative vibes towards me--wasted a lot of energy. I now use that energy on folks who "light up" when they see me, hear me ,or read me. Eric was thoughtful enough to send me a very nice e-mail after the hammering I took with my first post. I was very moved by that. I was also very moved by the number of CR folks who posted some very warm, hearfelt words on my behalf. Some of the best gifts I got over the holidays. Lets have some fun. Remember it is only running. I am greatful that I have been allowed to log over 65,000 miles over the last 31 yrs and still have a passion for running and want others to feel similar about their runnng. Teach love. Nick
        Vally

Hi Stephen - Fellow Virginian?? Here are some of the responses..... Quote from run_like_a_girl on 12/20/2007 at 3:38 AM: Wow Nick! Some of these people tore you apart. Where? Did I miss some drama? Damn, I'm always late to the party. Kirsten Okay. Here is the deal. Nobody is tearing anybody apart. While we feel terribly sorry for y'all for getting trashed over at CR and are delighted to welcome you to our home with open arms, coming in en masse as y'all have has been quite overwhelming. We too have an online family and it has been trashed over the past week from being overrun by refuges. And then, in the midst of all that, when somebody who we don't know from Adam comes and posts something like this: Quote from Long Run Nick on 12/19/2007 at 3:50 PM: Long Run Nick: A Gift to Newbies--and even veteran runners. as if he is God's gift to running, then that is a bit over the top. Thank you for your advice, thank you for your ideas Nick, and thank you for extending our family. But you can be more subtle as you offer your advice. Welcome to your new home. Come on in. Sit down. Join us for dinner. See how we interact. Figure out what our traditions are and structures are. If you like them, great. If you don't like them then let's work together to figure out to make the place work for you. Go off and create your own groups, as you have done. Welcome to your new home. But remember, this is RA. Not CR. Nick, first of all...welcome. I have held off in posting anything before now, but yes, my feathers were ruffled...and you know what? That's totally OK! I think your perspective on running is pretty much on the mark and that many newcomers to the sport burn themselves out trying to run fast and far before their bodies have adjusted to a running lifestyle. So, just to set the record straight, there is nothing in WHAT you're saying that gives reason to be "ruffled". That said, I'll just point out that you entered these boards with a statement (see "Subject") that put those of us who don't like koolaid on our collective heels, so to speak. I think by now, many of the CR refugees have figured out this site is freakin' AWESOME! All of the "heart and soul" work Eric has put into it provides the structure, but as you guys felt about the CR site, the people provide the site's personality. One of the things I love about this site is how the people come into the forums with all sorts of different experiences and find they can openly offer them. BUT, a healthy process of challenging assumptions, calling each other on "since I do this with some success, it should work for everyone else" posts. This healthy exchange is what brings me (and others, I believe) back day after day for more than just a place to log miles. I suspect that is why you have developed such a following...but please understand that you are new here and the context of your comments may not be taken as you intended. These forums have been blissfully free of topics where individuals get flamed for putting their ideas out there. Many of us who have been around for a while are quite comfortable and maybe that is a bad thing, we're excited for the growth of this site and are very proud of the product Eric makes available free to all. Please don't hesitate to post early and often! Just know that we are quite comfortable challenging, questioning, poking fun (good natured, of course)...sometimes not always in the right places/at the right times. So, kick back and make yourself comfortable, but realize that boobs (and even some noob boobs) are all around. Oh, and feel free to make your log and profile public for those who like to stalk...that goes a long way. By the way, you acknowledged that you might have ruffled feathers, but followed that with simply pressing your point that your credentials speak for themselves. My apologies for not recognizing that, but again, your opening volley set the tone...self-appointed experts tend to draw more fire...just sayin' Sorry for rambling, but again, welcome all! Lynn B Right, and the description of the forum is "come here to get advice from experienced runners" not "bestow unasked for wisdom on a community you've barely even met." The 2nd begs for ridicule. The first is a good thing. Maybe you can answer a question for me. Why is there so much interest in "age-specific" threads? I have tried to follow a lot of the new discussion topics and see what seems like a lot of effort to try and "compartmentalize" into groups that have something in common, but then the threads have little or nothing to do with a specific age group. The discussion is generally quite broad and seems to me would have appeal to more than just, say, 30 somethings. I see the same thing in the Masters group that started up. I go there to see what's unique, and I find questions about Garmins, race plans, etc that would be of interest to a much broader population than masters runners.
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Valerie, I think we're all in an awkward adjustment phase at moment. RA regulars and former CR's are all a little overwhelmed. Give it some time. A few months from now, I imagine we'll all stop seeing each other as "RA" or "CR" people and instead just as fellow runners. There are some things about RA that may be better than how it was done on CR, and I'm sure RA could learn a thing or two from how CR was set up. I've already read a lot of interesting, valuable posts from CR's, and I look forward to more -- especially when at past the point of thinking, "this must be someone from CR." A little patience on everyone's part is encouraged.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

You'll ruin your knees!

Hello Valerie, Lynn B here [waves to Nick]. You have chosen some of my comments as examples that fueled your post. First, I am truly sorry you read my comments that way. After re-reading what I wrote, I am a little puzzled how these comments can be taken as a put down of any kind, but again, things intended are not always things taken. No onslaught of fury here. I believe we learn by hearing/or reading in this case, then asking questions to seek understanding. As we get to know each other and become more comfortable, the discussion becomes more colorful. That is what brings us back (in my opinion). Anyway, please don't think for a second you are not welcomed. I'm glad you spoke up because it helps point out the difference between how something is intended versus how it may be taken...and that can be a wide gap. Happy New Year! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I have to agree with Juststarted on this one. I joined here as part of the CR mass exodus. I commented on a few posts, since then I have been a passive reader. I feel as if the RA community does not want this to become another CR. I know of nobody who wants to do this We really do want to be RA people. I read some other posts before that CR has a history of having people that were rude and at times insulting and they hoped that they did not follow here. Every site has these types of people but I notice this more here then at CR. Hopefully these are just growing pains and part of sibling rivalry and passes. After all we are all one running family. Mike
                va

Yes, I am a proud Virginian! (I love this state!) I don’t think I have anything to add to the LRN thread that you reference. I think this topic has runs its course, and I think those involved have made peace. As to the “people caring where other people post” topic, this probably requires further discussion. RA has had a certain organization and associated customs which the RA folks are used to. The main forum has been for general discussion about running, beneficial and of interest to everyone. Attempts to form long-standing “cliquish” threads on the main forum, dedicated to a certain group of runners, seems out of place to the native RA-er. RA has groups where people can gather to share discuss common special interests (trail runners, low heart rate trainers, masters, …), and similarly, it seems inappropriate to many native RA-ers to have threads in these groups which would be of interests to all runners (i.e., those discussion should be in the main forum). I hope this explains a little bit more of the RA perspective… MTA: I agree with the others. These are just growing pains, and just a matter of us growing accustomed to each other. I think ultimately we will all be very happy together!

Half Fanatic #846

I have read most (but not all) of the RA threads/forums during the past 10 months, but I haven 't detected any obvious signs of resentment or inappropriate responses. I certainly could have missed one or two though. Conversely, I have found RA to be the most welcoming, helpful, accomodating, and friendly group - especially in comparison to other websites. I think, just as Stephen has expressed, that we are truly interested in maintaining a civil and cordial relationship with all members. Considering and recognizing the many differences that people have just makes RA even more awesome, in my opinion. It has been interesting for me to follow the recent influx from CR. I monitored many comments and responses on "both sides" from RA and CR. I tried not to "read between the lines" and was very pleased to note that, from the responses I read, there really is only one side - we are all runners. It would be difficult for me to imagine being a member of a group with my friends for some time, and then having to leave rather suddenly. I hope that you find a good home here! We would all probably agree that one of the best ways to maintain the integrity of RA is to talk about and resolve any potential issues before people become "sidetracked" to the detriment of our common goals. I think a very few comments may be "off the cuff" or unintentional, but I really can't recall one, and I'm sorry you were put off by it. And, just as important Cool, congrats on quitting smoking - I've been free for one year this month.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I'm not sure anyone answered the original question of why it matters but I think havanarnr said it very well: "I have found RA to be the most welcoming, helpful, accomodating, and friendly group - especially in comparison to other websites. I think, just as Stephen has expressed, that we are truly interested in maintaining a civil and cordial relationship with all members. Considering and recognizing the many differences that people have just makes RA even more awesome, in my opinion." It matters because the people that have developed this community (and I'm clearly not one of these people as I'm a newb here myself) developed it in such a way that made them want to come back again and again. A mass influx of people would have the potential to change something about the community and that change may not be viewed as a positive one. That's the effect that people are trying to avoid.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

...---...

I too have found the RA crowd of regulars to be very accepting. And thank you all for that! Having formerly been a part of another crowd for some time, I understand how some RA regulars may feel with the population explosion...it feels a little intrusive. So, I've tried to temper my comments, limit my writing, etc until people get used to me. Hopefully, I can earn the respect of everyone in RA becuase I really like this site and the tone of the forums. Cheers. Have a great start to 2008!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

RA has had a certain organization and associated customs which the RA folks are used to. The main forum has been for general discussion about running, beneficial and of interest to everyone. Attempts to form long-standing “cliquish” threads on the main forum, dedicated to a certain group of runners, seems out of place to the native RA-er. RA has groups where people can gather to share discuss common special interests (trail runners, low heart rate trainers, masters, …), and similarly, it seems inappropriate to many native RA-ers to have threads in these groups which would be of interests to all runners (i.e., those discussion should be in the main forum).
                          VA, thank you for saying this. I think this is a big difference. In RA you have User Groups, in KR there are "Running Groups and Clubs". At both of these site these are places where people can meet in smaller groups. In CR we did not have this. If you wanted to be a member of a group of people in the same point in life or interests you needed to create a posting for your group in the main group. This made it easy to wander from group to group while staying in the main forum. My association is like being in a large party and just moving from friend to friend. I am not arguing what is better at all, it is just different.
                          va

VA, thank you for saying this. I think this is a big difference. In RA you have User Groups, in KR there are "Running Groups and Clubs". At both of these site these are places where people can meet in smaller groups. In CR we did not have this. If you wanted to be a member of a group of people in the same point in life or interests you needed to create a posting for your group in the main group. This made it easy to wander from group to group while staying in the main forum. My association is like being in a large party and just moving from friend to friend. I am not arguing what is better at all, it is just different.
                            Thanks for pointing this out. I too, am not saying which is better, just pointing out what has been the custom here, and why it may matter to the RA folks. Some more thoughts… One of the capabilities of this site is password protected groups. So, if you have a group of friends, and you’d like to have your own private group, go ahead and make a group and enable password protection. Only those with a password can access the group and its associated forum. There is nothing wrong with doing this. If you browse through the existing groups, you will notice many are private. On the other hand, if you make a group, and it is public, then you should welcome anybody. Note that Eric has graciously provided this software for us to use. If you haven’t notice, he does not play the role of a heavy handed moderator/administrator. This place is primarily "governed" by its members. I don’t think I have ever seen any list of rules, and although it may seem hard to believe, people have always seemed to get along well. Hopefully this can continue... Smile

Member Since 2008

RA, CR, What the hell! The important thing is we all love running and being in contact with other runners, whether it is elites or newbys, old people or young people. We all have worth while things to share and we all can inspire eachother.

Prophet!

Thanks for pointing this out. I too, am not saying which is better, just pointing out what has been the custom here, and why it may matter to the RA folks.
                                Good point! When i started running i had both accounts here in RA and in Coolrunning. I decided that i liked the general structure and format here better so i stayed here. I'm hoping that most of everything that i liked about this site will stay. Not to say that I don't want it to change. Eric has made tons of improvements and changes since i began logging my run here, and some of it are based on user suggestions . I know that Eric will continue to improve this site but i hope that everything that i loved about this site, that made me choose this site in the first place, will remain.