Does this count as banditting? (Read 274 times)

Intentionally Blank

Or is it otherwise morally or ethically wrong?

short version: is it okay to register (pay) for a race and then run in it without picking up the bib and signing the paper waiver?

long version: So I signed up for one of those dastardly foam glow runs to do with my 10 yo daughter. She's looking forward to it. Me, not so much. If you don't pick up your packet the day before, you have to pay a $5 packet pick up fee on the day of the run.

I went today and stood in line for 45 minutes, and then had to leave before getting the numbers. I had to get the kids from school. I've heard tomorrow the lines are going to be equally miserable. I am contemplating showing up tomorrow and doing the thing without picking up the t-shirts and numbers. There is no chip timing.

What say you?

jpdeaux

No. No. And no. What IS wrong is being forced to wait in a line for 45 minutes to pick up a number and STILL not getting it. That's wrong.

Seanv2

I say you paid, you get to run.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

It's a glow run, IMO it's not a real race so the only thing you'd lose out by not showing your bib# is pictures. You paid, that's good enough for me!

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

preciousJohn

No number no run! don't bend the rules. There is a reason for everything!

ex. I paid last year but I didn't run! So I get to run this year free, cheer!!

While raising a kid who likes foam glow runs is an entirely different matter , for which we should judge you in another thread This ain't banditing.

Intentionally Blank

, Happyfeet. I agree. But she did do a 10k last month, so who am I to cramp her enthusiasm?

rlopez

Will she get ticked off she didn't get the shirt?

Intentionally Blank

She doesn't care about the shirt; she has too many.

But I looked again at the official rules, and it claims that you won't be allowed on the course without a bib. I guess an extra $10 and hour of standing in line is worth the slight risk of uncontrollable tears when she's not allowed to run.

I hope this counts as a plus to my mom karma.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

She doesn't care about the shirt; she has too many.

But I looked again at the official rules, and it claims that you won't be allowed on the course without a bib. I guess an extra $10 and hour of standing in line is worth the slight risk of uncontrollable tears when she's not allowed to run.

I hope this counts as a plus to my mom karma.

Yes 

steph  

Probably a good example to set anyway: follow the rules, even if you think they're stupid. Because as she becomes a teenager, you will have all kinds of rules she will think are stupid.

Dave

Intentionally Blank

Excellent point, DaveP.

I actually convinced my lovely spouse to come home early so that I could go back and stand in line again.

JimR

They're charging you extra because they've understaffed the pickup location?  I'd never run their events again.

Intentionally Blank

It was ridiculous. By the time I got to the front of the line, they weren't even confirming registration. She just looked to make sure the waivers were signed and asked me what size shirt. For fun I crossed out the part in the waiver that indemnifies them from foreseeable acts of negligence or omission. #lawyerlife

Slo

Charging you and extra $5 to pick up race day is horse $h!t in my opinion. And 45 minutes wait and still not getting your packet...wth?