Half then full (Read 94 times)

Sheltonpainter

Can I run a half and then 4 weeks later run a full?

an amazing likeness

Of course. Why not?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mikeymike

That's the preferred order, yes.

Runners run

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Have you put in the miles needed to run a FM in 4 weeks?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Not uncommon. A lot of people will use the half as a training run or even a test run for the marathon.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I was literally just planning where to run my half marathon 4 weeks out from my full! It's definitely not uncommon.

50+ age-group PBs:  Half Perish 1:24:24 (June '23 Road Race) - 10km 37:52 (2022 Local Road Champs) - Track 5km 18:49 (Aug '22) - Perish Run 3:17:42

2024 Goals: Boston Perish Run Sub 3:15 - Road/Track 10km Sub 37:30 - 5km Sub 18:20

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Can I run a half and then 4 weeks later run a full?

Only you can answer that question as you’ve given zero information about your running history/mileage etc…can you even run a half?

If you’re a low mileage novice runner then a half 4 weeks out might not give you enough time to recover…eg, your LR the following week (normally longest run of the cycle) might result in injury?

From my own personal experience, the more miles run during a training cycle, the faster the recovery is from a race. I like to run a half as close to a marathon as possible as it gives me a better indication of what pace to aim for which is soo important!  I ran a half 3 weeks before my marathon PR, but I think I was averaging around 60/65mpw.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

MariaSaylor

Thanks for the suggestion.