Recovery question Time Versus Sleep (Read 591 times)

Lets consider two workout schedules... With one you only get one full nights sleep between work outs but you get almost two full days between them (for example you work out in the morning one day then you workout the evening of the next) With the other you get less total time between two workouts but you get two full nights sleep (evening one day then morning two days later) With all other things being equal which would allow for more recovery? Another words what is the important variable, time or amount of sleep?
    TJoseph

I usually run at least five days a week, so two days recovery is the exception and not the rule for me. I do notice a difference if I get less than eight hours sleep more than a couple of days in a row. If I run in the morning and then don't run until the evening of the next day it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference to me. Everyone is different. Maybe your results will be different than mine.
        I'd think it obvious the 2 two nights sleep offers more recovery. I worked with a guy who was a body builder, he would always walk arouynd like he was in slow motion, tried to exert himself as little as possible. Had to laugyh, one day he comments "I can't unload that truck today, just got the needle last night." He was so worried about working out the wrong muscles. The less you do between workouts the better.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

mikeymike

If a train leaves Buffalo, travelling East at 67 mph and another train leaves Syracuse, travelling west at.... First of all there's a difference between runs and workouts. I run 7+ times per week but only a couple of those are workouts. Secondly, you're thinking too much. Just run.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

I agree with mikeymike. I did 6 yesterday around 5 PM and 13 this morning around 7 AM this morning. I didn't give any thought to the fact that they were 14 hours apart. They were easy runs and that's when I could get them in. Other than allowing time to recover from quality workouts there's not much to think about.

Not at it at all. 

If a train leaves Buffalo, travelling East at 67 mph and another train leaves Syracuse, travelling west at.... First of all there's a difference between runs and workouts. I run 7+ times per week but only a couple of those are workouts. Secondly, you're thinking too much. Just run.
              This just a theoretical question... I am trying to figure out how the human bod works.