Who is the fastest? (Read 500 times)

I can help narrow this down for you. It's not me.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I can narrow it down twice as far; it's not me either.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Ditto.  But so cool if we have some "real" runners on here.  Feel privileged to share this awesome resource with them!!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Not dead. Yet.

eric Smile

I'm doing some RA web-scraping for fun to find the fastest runners.  How can I get a full list of users?  I was looking at the directory of names under each letter (/users/Directory/E), but in total it only returned ~500 users.  Then I noticed on each page of users it says "Recent users" and only shows the first 50 or so alphabetically for each letter.  I, for example don't show up on the 's' page because my username is 'sdizazzo' and the 's' page only shows up to 'sc' names.  Do the rest of the users show up to browse somewhere else?

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Goo (real name is a mystery to me) came over in the invasion. He is a sub-2:20 guy who ran for the Czech national team and had his chances at running in an Olympics ruined because of a boycott. This always makes me sad. Funny guy.

Goo is a great guy, gives good advise, and never belittles anyone. I believe he's moved up an age group and hopes to win it at Boston this year. He's still running low to mid-2:50s.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mikeymike

How can I get a full list of users?

Do you work for the NSA? This thread is getting a little weird, dude.

Runners run

Not dead. Yet.

Do you work for the NSA? This thread is getting a little weird, dude.

Sorry.  I obsess and data is my specialty.  Once it has begun it cannot be stopped.

The fastest marathon I could find is: pjrizzo @ 2:16:12

The second, who actually records his training and might be the one you guys were alluding to:  runwietecha

Still couldn't find any of the sub 4:00 minute milers...

...and I'm done.

bhearn

I'm doing some RA web-scraping for fun to find the fastest runners.

Are you using a particular tool for this, or something home grown?

kcam

Sorry.  I obsess and data is my specialty.  Once it has begun it cannot be stopped.

The fastest marathon I could find is: pjrizzo @ 2:16:12

The second, who actually records his training and might be the one you guys were alluding to:  runwietecha

Still couldn't find any of the sub 4:00 minute milers...

...and I'm done.

I knew about Mr. Wietecha (Go Scott!) but I didn't know that Patrick Rizzo kept his log here from Dec 2010 to Nov 2010.  Go check out some of his workouts and training during the time leading up to that 2:16 at Chicago.  Pretty cool as his entire build is there.

mikeymike

Yeah a bunch of people on here know him pretty well. I've met him once.

I know of a 2:14 guy who I'm pretty sure logs here, or at least used to. I can't remember his username though. He would also be a sub 4 minute miler but I doubt he was logging here when he ran sub-4.

Runners run

Tiefsa

I ran a query to see who logged the fastest marathon times.  After weeding out the bad data, I found a couple of folks that ran in US Olympic trials, and sub 2:20 runners.  Not so surprisingly, these folks are also at the top of the half marathon list.  There is one person that broke the hour mark but I am unable to verify his result, partly because the race is been canceled a couple of years ago and the website is no longer up.

In the 5k category, the fastest is a 14:08 but unconfirmed.  The first confirmed time is 14:10.  There are many people with a 5k time of 15 minutes or less.

There are also a couple of under 4 minute milers.  I can confirm one of them is legitimate.

I will not provide their screen names to protect their privacy.  They could pipe up if they wish.  If not, some of their logs are public or group accessible so happy hunting!

eric Smile

A sub four minute mile is impressive.  Holding a sub 60 second pace for four laps is brutal.  I could do it for about 1000 meters in college, but then I would fall apart.

Speak up you speed demons!

Maybe it is John Simons, a kid that graduated from my old high school who broke 4 last year running for Minnesota.  I was just talking to him at an alumni run.  He said it was a bit of luck.  He was running the 3000 indoors for the most part, and his coach let him step down at a bigger meet, hung with the leaders and busted out a 3:59.32.  He then made it to the NCAA finals in the mile and placed fifth running just under 4 again.

Not dead. Yet.

Are you using a particular tool for this, or something home grown?

Python and BeautifulSoup.  I wrote a little one-off script in a about an hour yesterday.  Had to remember how to use the library.

bhearn

Python and BeautifulSoup.  I wrote a little one-off script in a about an hour yesterday.  Had to remember how to use the library.

Thanks. Too bad I hate Python. But I do need to add some generic scraping capabilities to a project I'm working on. Scraping RA data would be fun. Of course, there is actually a web API here that I've already been playing with. Not sure you could easily get everyone's PRs with that, though.

Not dead. Yet.

Thanks. Too bad I hate Python. But I do need to add some generic scraping capabilities to a project I'm working on. Scraping RA data would be fun. Of course, there is actually a web API here that I've already been playing with. Not sure you could easily get everyone's PRs with that, though.

What kind of tools/languages do you use?

bhearn

This project is mostly C++, server side, which is where I'd put the scraping.

But, sorry to derail the conversation about who's fastest.