Who is the fastest? (Read 500 times)

eric :)

eric Smile

I'm doing some RA web-scraping for fun to find the fastest runners.  How can I get a full list of users?  I was looking at the directory of names under each letter (/users/Directory/E), but in total it only returned ~500 users.  Then I noticed on each page of users it says "Recent users" and only shows the first 50 or so alphabetically for each letter.  I, for example don't show up on the 's' page because my username is 'sdizazzo' and the 's' page only shows up to 'sc' names.  Do the rest of the users show up to browse somewhere else?

Site scraping is probably not a good idea unless you throttle it.  That said, I checked the server logs and the additional load is within the regular traffic noise.

There is no way to obtain the full users list.  The user directory only lists public logs (which excludes all other access modes)  and only if the user has logged in recently.  Because the log defaults to private, most of the users are not listed.

I'm not sure what can be gained by knowing who's on RA.  I suppose RA would gain more "legitimacy" if that knowledge is public, but it makes no difference to me who is using it.

Hoban-Jay

I'm doing some RA web-scraping for fun to find the fastest runners.  How can I get a full list of users?  I was looking at the directory of names under each letter (/users/Directory/E), but in total it only returned ~500 users.  Then I noticed on each page of users it says "Recent users" and only shows the first 50 or so alphabetically for each letter.  I, for example don't show up on the 's' page because my username is 'sdizazzo' and the 's' page only shows up to 'sc' names.  Do the rest of the users show up to browse somewhere else?

Well, buddy, you just convinced me to make my log private !!!

Not dead. Yet.

Well, buddy, you just convinced me to make my log private !!!

Ok, Buddy!  If that makes you feel better than go for it.  I'm not sure what you think I'm going to do with the data in bulk that's any different from when somebody directly clicks on your log.  I want to use it for the same reasons; mainly to learn.

You are in fact more anonymous when somebody looks at the data in bulk.  When I scraped the site, I didn't even look at the user names.  I only took the hash number that RA knows you as...something like this "f20671d943394b568909ed5d323d588f"  When somebody clicks on the log they have your username and all of your identifying information right there.

That said, sorry if I wierded you or anybody else out.  Just trying to have some fun with data.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

I'm not that fast, but I might have the fastest barefoot races on RA. I've got a 4:57 mile (NYC 5th Ave Mile, 2011) and a 17:38 5K (PTI 5K in Greensboro, NC, 2012). Haven't yet managed to run faster, in shoes or out.

My BFPRs at longer distances aren't as fast, but the conditions were more challenging.

Not running barefoot as much anymore, since I recently moved to the PNW where they pave all the roads in that nasty chip seal. Plus, barefoot running is sooo three years ago. Now I run in rubber boots.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Eh. I'm a 2:14 guy these days.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ok, Buddy!  If that makes you feel better than go for it.  I'm not sure what you think I'm going to do with the data in bulk that's any different from when somebody directly clicks on your log.  I want to use it for the same reasons; mainly to learn.

So how are you protecting all the copies of this data you've pulled, and all the computers on which you keep it?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

bpangie

I'm not that fast, but I might have the fastest barefoot races on RA. I've got a 4:57 mile (NYC 5th Ave Mile, 2011) and a 17:38 5K (PTI 5K in Greensboro, NC, 2012). Haven't yet managed to run faster, in shoes or out.

My BFPRs at longer distances aren't as fast, but the conditions were more challenging.

Not running barefoot as much anymore, since I recently moved to the PNW where they pave all the roads in that nasty chip seal. Plus, barefoot running is sooo three years ago. Now I run in rubber boots.

Too bad you're so far away - I'm in VT. I ran a 19:55 3.66 mile race in huaraches. I don't have the huevos to really race barefoot. I can also put up some decent times wearing rubber boots, though my feet tend to get a little sweaty... Haha.

Not dead. Yet.

So how are you protecting all the copies of this data you've pulled, and all the computers on which you keep it?

The data is public.  There is no reason to protect it.  And honestly, nobody could care less about it.  It was fun for a few minutes for a few of us here, but now the data is useless.

If you want a .csv file of what I collected, message me.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

+1

Calm, cool reply sdizazzo.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Too bad you're so far away - I'm in VT. I ran a 19:55 3.66 mile race in huaraches. I don't have the huevos to really race barefoot. I can also put up some decent times wearing rubber boots, though my feet tend to get a little sweaty... Haha.

Sheesh, nice race times. Don't think I'll be catching up any time soon!

I don't understand the whispering and reluctance to name names of fast runners. They put in a metric shit ton of hard work and miles, show discipline and consistancy, and their races reflect that. Jeff interviewed Scott Wietecha, a 2:18:52 marathoner. It is here: http://www.logicoflongdistance.com/2012/03/interview-scott-wietecha.html?m=1  Everyone who talks about him mentions what a nice guy he is. No skinny, elite, prick BS.

Ben Schneider is the one that wins Paavo every year. He was the top American at Berlin where he ran 2:26:52. Also, he can put down beer like a beast.

Goo (real name is a mystery to me) came over in the invasion. He is a sub-2:20 guy who ran for the Czech national team and had his chances at running in an Olympics ruined because of a boycott. This always makes me sad. Funny guy.

Those are just marathon times. Of course their shorter stuff is impressive as hell, too. There are a bunch of other fasties in here.  I'd love to see what the RA PR's are.

I have to say, I'm not really sure who the fastest women are. Do we have any 2:4x women around here?

The Hunger of Scott Wietecha

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

#artbydmcbride

Eh. I'm a 2:14 guy these days.

That's not that bad of a half marathon, you'll get there!

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The data is public.  There is no reason to protect it.

You have fallen into the fallacy of believing that aggregated data is no more valuable than individual data points.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

You'll ruin your knees!

I was the fastest to identify RA as the bestest running-related website on the trenternet!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

The Hunger of Scott Wietecha

I can not say thanks enough for you guys that find and post the best links.

Thanks nads!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka