Do You Have To Love Running To Run A Marathon (Read 337 times)

the Superbowl event of this sport. 

Of course, that's subjective, but no one really thought of it as that until fairly recently when running a marathon became something trendy to check off a list, even for non-runners.

Why is it sideways?

Mostly I think I want to run a marathon now because I worry at some point in my life, that opportunity will be gone physically as I age.  I don't want to look back at my life and not have accomplished the Superbowl event of this sport.  Does running a marathon validate me as a runner?  No, but I think I might regret never having done one, especially in light of having run so many half marathons.  It is more of a life accomplishment then a life dream, if that makes sense.  It is hard to explain, as running is so unique and individual to each of us.

Running a marathon is really not anything special, in itself. What makes a marathon special -- commitment, effort, joy, accomplishment, friendship -- are the same things that make anything else special.

At the risk of sounding cheesy and self-helpish, I guess I'd put it like this: Run a marathon or don't run a marathon, but perhaps your desire to run a marathon is a chance to reflect on what it is that you would get out of saying: I'm going to do X, and why you feel like you want something like that in your life.

Running a marathon is really not anything special, in itself. What makes a marathon special -- commitment, effort, joy, accomplishment, friendship -- are the same things that make anything else special.

At the risk of sounding cheesy and self-helpish, I guess I'd put it like this: Run a marathon or don't run a marathon, but perhaps your desire to run a marathon is a chance to reflect on what it is that you would get out of saying: I'm going to do X, and why you feel like you want something like that in your life.

I once thought , man, if I could concentrate at work for three hours at a clip, that would really help me at the marathon. And, if I could stay in a race for 3 hours, that would really help me at work.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

juniordo1

+1

Jeff, your reply didn't seem cheesy to me. You captured what I was thinking but struggled to say. What were you doing in my head anyway?

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

DoppleBock

Just my 2-cents

Finishing a marathon is a nice accomplishment ~ If it is something that is important to you, you should do it.  If the goal is completion, the value of completing it is really self defined "Success".  Do it because it is important to you.

I know people that have finished marathons with no training ... just piss and vinegar stubborness and willingess to suffer.

If you train to do a marathon ~ The accomplishment is in the journey of training, the race is just the victory lap.

Enjoy the journey!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Why is it sideways?

+1

Jeff, your reply didn't seem cheesy to me. You captured what I was thinking but struggled to say. What were you doing in my head anyway?

Ha -- thanks. Philosophers always worry too much about being cheesy. We'd rather be obtuse than cheesy. It's really a bad habit, a hazard of the profession.

DoppleBock

Why do you run so consistently if you do not like running?

I average about 30 miles per week each year.  I get out for a run nearly every day.
                Do I have to love running to do this?

DoppleBock

PS

I really do not like running.  I like being physical.  I like the difficulty of overcoming a physical challenge.  I like drinking beer and eating too much.  Running is a good physical release that is pretty efficient at burning calories.  I always feel good post run.  I almost always dread running before the run.

You need something that drives you to run and to train - Best if it is joy, but other things work too.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Why do you run so consistently if you do not like running?

Do I have to love running to do this?

He/she just doesn't like long runs.

PS

I really do not like running.  I like being physical.  I like the difficulty of overcoming a physical challenge.  I like drinking beer and eating too much.  Running is a good physical release that is pretty efficient at burning calories.  I always feel good post run.  I almost always dread running before the run.

You need something that drives you to run and to train - Best if it is joy, but other things work too.

Sounds to me like you actually like running (TIC)

joescott

.... Does running a marathon validate me as a runner?  No, but I think I might regret never having done one, especially in light of having run so many half marathons.

Sounds like what you really need maybe is some good-natured goading.  Here, this sort of worked for on me way back in 2000.

Alan:  Hey Joe, so you do a little running?

Joe:  Yeah, I do a little running now and then.  I've run a few half marathons, you know.

Alan:  Oh, right?

<pause>

Alan:  That's really just running the easy half, don't you think?

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Mostly I think I want to run a marathon now because I worry at some point in my life, that opportunity will be gone physically as I age.  I don't want to look back at my life and not have accomplished the Superbowl event of this sport.  Does running a marathon validate me as a runner?  No, but I think I might regret never having done one, especially in light of having run so many half marathons.  It is more of a life accomplishment then a life dream, if that makes sense.  It is hard to explain, as running is so unique and individual to each of us.

I think that is a good enough reason to run a marathon. You may discover some other benefits from training and racing a marathon. As others said, the journey is as important, if not more, as the goal. It is like people going to the college and studying something, later on they change their career. However, what they have learned and experienced in the college has contributed to their life, as Steve Jobs found his dots. :-)

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

You don't have to love running to run one marathon. I know a bunch of people who did it to "do it" and now they are done with marathons.

You DO have to love running to run multiple marathons. There's no reason to put yourself through the time and effort in training several times unless  you love it.

Julia1971

Old people run marathon all the time. So, if your goal is to complete one, you can do that at any time.

I don't live running the way some runners seem to love it. I like competing. If I weren't running, I'd be kicking arse at something else I'm sure. Wink

northernman

Fight The Future

Old people run marathon all the time. So, if your goal is to complete one, you can do that at any time.

I don't live running the way some runners seem to love it. I like competing. If I weren't running, I'd be kicking arse at something else I'm sure. Wink

I'm sure you would, too. Glad I'm not in your way, Julia!