Light weight marathon shoe for neutral runner? (Read 2731 times)

I am a high-arched neutral runner and have always run in pretty standard neutral trainers (Brooks Glycerin, Saucony Triumph, Mizuno Wave rider).  A few weeks a go I bought a pair of racing flats (Saucony Grid A2) for 5Ks and they are fantastic.  I really like the minimalist feel, it is like I can "feel" the road better.  The fact that they are about half the weight isn't all that bad either.

I am getting ready for my second marathon (Steamtown, Pa) 10/11/09.  I would like to try a lighterweight simpler shoe, however, I expect that I would need a little more protection for a marathon than my flats.  I was glancing around at some of them at runningwarehouse and it seemed like many of them in the category are built for people with some overpronation.

Do any of you out there have a favorite lightweight neutral marathon shoe.  Thanks for any feedback.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Personally never tried these but based on other thread I checked out these shoes -- mizuno Wave 9 and seem like a good light weight marathon shoe, as I am also a Nuetral shoe runner.  At 9.9 oz seem like good combo of light weight and support.

http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.nsf/0/B9A86D12EB8A90748525752F0052BAF8?opendocument&div=Running&cat=footwear-mens

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Lane

I am a lot like you as far as shoe preferences go, and I found that I really loved the Nike Marathoners, but they're really hard to find.  Good luck!
        Tyler S

I am a lot like you as far as shoe preferences go, and I found that I really loved the Nike Marathoners, but they're really hard to find.  Good luck!

Not that hard to find 

I have, and still think it's the best shoe I've ever owned, an old pair of Puma Complete Prevail IV's. Neutral cushioned trainer that flexes in all the right spots, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure what Puma's current replacement would be though, or even if it would be the same.

As far as your A2's, I've got the original Grid Type A, and to me they're really more of a performance trainer than a true racing flat. I use them for almost all of my racing, anything over 3K, and have had no issues with them racing at ½ marathon distance.

I just tried out the Brooks Launch in my last marathon, and they felt incredible.
              Marathon PR 3:25:23 http://26point2medals.com/metals.html

Personally never tried these but based on other thread I checked out these shoes -- mizuno Wave 9 and seem like a good light weight marathon shoe, as I am also a Nuetral shoe runner.  At 9.9 oz seem like good combo of light weight and support.

http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.nsf/0/B9A86D12EB8A90748525752F0052BAF8?opendocument&div=Running&cat=footwear-mens

Actually tried a pair of these on saturday .... Model is actually Precision 9 and they are being replaced with Precision 10.  I liked them and felt good with arch support.

Still have few hundred miles on each of my existing pairs (Miz Inspire 5 and NB 1063), but will probably pick up a pair next month in preparation for Fall distance races.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Why is it sideways?

I like the adidas tempo.

Marquess of Utopia

I like the Nike Lunar Racers.
                      The Adidas Adizero Ace looks like a nice lightweight that's got enough about it for the marathon.
                      Lane

I just got a pair of Pearl Izumi Streaks.  They're very nice.  I would recommend them as well.

Thanks for all the answers everyone.  The consensus seems to be there is no consensus. 

My local running store does not carry much in the way of lightweight performance shoes like these.  Is there anyone that lives in the York, Lancaster, Harrisburg, Allentown area (Pennsylvania) that knows of a bigger running store that has more of a selection I could try on?  Emmaus, home of runnersworld, is about 45 minutes from me so I figure there is probably one around, I just know about it.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Check RW's Dumsters.

Some place ought to be able to order for you, but that my not help if you want to try them out first.

MTA: Did you try Inside Track in Lancaster?

I expect that I would need a little more protection for a marathon than my flats. 

I tend to think the same, but...there have been those who've run the marathon barefooted.

Therefore I am going to race longer races (15k>Wink this year in my Asic Hyperspeed II's.

I plan on training in them more this late summer, and racing 15k and a half marathon to see how I feel.

If I'm okay with them, I will buy a new pair for my December marathon.

Picture & link to holabirdsports.com

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

I've run my last 2  marathons in the Asics Hyperspeeds, they have plenty of  cushion (for me.)  I also train in them some.

I plan on trying the Nike Lunar racer next.

Runners run