recipe for homemade sport drink?? (Read 590 times)

I thought I remembered reading something on RA about making your own sport drink using lemon, salt and sugar, but I couldn't find anything under the search function. Does anyone do this, or is it not worth it? I've been taking water with me, but sometimes when the humidity is super high it just doesn't feel adequate. I'm not entirely opposed to buying a powder, but I kind of wanted to try out a homemade concoction first.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Make lemonade. Add salt to taste. The more the better.
        I use the potassium/salt (can't think of the name right now) and the packets of unsweetened kool-aid. My personal preference is "invisible grape", which is grape flavored without the food coloring. It helps me avoid the purple mustache! Sweeten with your sweetener of choice. (I don't have exact measurements - I just kind of fiddle around with the amounts) I like the lemonade idea, though. I'm definitely going to have to make up a batch.
        ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer

running yogi

I sweeten mine with unfiltered honey and pure maple syrup to add more nutirents. I have never used potassium salt. I shud try it next time. I freeze some in ice trays. Instead of using ice, I use these to cool my drink and my drink won't water down in a long run. I have substituted (depending on season)fresh water melon, orange, grapefruit and pineapple juice for lemon with equal success. Citruses are the easiest to juice though (I don't own a fancy juice machine).

Misinformation Officer

Salt Sense is one brand of potassium-salt.
              Salt Sense is one brand of potassium-salt.
              Thanks! Yeah, that's the one that I use. Last summer I was getting terrible cramps. I think I was overloaded on plain water, so devised this home-made drink to use as an alternative to some of the water. It seemed to help and is quite tasty.
              ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                Thanks! Big grin
                Carl A

Homemade sports drink I've done the OJ version on this page a few times. It tastes great when you're thirsty, is much cheaper than Gatorade, and has none of that dreaded HFCS. Also, the Dead Runners Society is awesome.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.