Running in Extreme Weather (Read 371 times)

dallison

registered pw

The coldest was 15 with 10 mph winds. I only lasted 3 miles.  The coldest this year has been 20 degrees, but i am layed much better than previous years. My miles have suffered greatly too. I only have 65 for the month and i have a half next Sunday.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

NHLA

near 0 to over 100.  The worst was when I had a heat stroke in TX.  I was so lucky I had a friend with me who made me stop running. It could have been much worse.

-30C, about -40 with windchill (-40 is -40, C or F) - That was last week. I think I've run in slightly colder raw temps, almost certainly worst windchill, but I can't really remember.

warmest I think would be about 40C. And oh so brutally humid.

Racing, I think it's been -26C and about 30C. Neither of which leads to much of  a race result.

Running during freezing rain is interesting. I've had a 4-5mm sheet of ice on my hat.

2 days ago I was running in mid 50 degree weather, while today went all the way down to a below zero wind-chill. There was no way I would have slipped and fall on ice 2 days ago, such as I did today.  Dead

the kenyan

Coldest: -15F (-30 windchill)

Warmest: 110F

Neither was particularly pleasant if I remember.

#artbydmcbride

Coldest: -15F (-30 windchill)

Warmest: 110F

Neither was particularly pleasant if I remember.

Holy Cow!

23 degrees for the coldest for me (life threatening!)

and 106 degrees for the hottest....you just can't take enough clothes off!

Runners run

DoppleBock

I ran a 5 mile race last year with 94F and humid ~ It had been 100F ealrier in day (7pm race) ... 10k or less I would try that again (Not like it, but not skip race)

Cold - I have run in -20F real temps (no wind) and -30+F Wind Chill ~ I hate cold, but -20F with no wind is actually not bad once you get out there.  Today it is -5F with -25 to -30F wind chill ~ I am thinking TM sounds good.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

spinach

Cold - I have run in -20F real temps (no wind) and -30+F Wind Chill ~ I hate cold, but -20F with no wind is actually not bad once you get out there.  Today it is -5F with -25 to -30F wind chill ~ I am thinking TM sounds good.

I am with you.  Yesterday it was below zero and we had 20+ mph winds.  I had planned a ten mile run but under those conditions i didn't want to head out so I ran 82 laps on a 200 meter indoor track.

Woohoo, new Coldest Run for me today: -8, feels like -18.  Although since it was sunny and there was no wind, it wasn't bad at all, except for my eyes trying to freeze shut because of ice in my eyelashes.  I've tried wearing sunglasses while I run, but they kept fogging up.

I can't wait for Spring.

~Kate

Life is short.  Running makes it seem longer.

I cannot recommend this stuff enough for that reason (as a blind-as-a-bat runner, I have to wear glasses when I run, so I have tried a lot of products).

Woohoo, new Coldest Run for me today: -8, feels like -18.  Although since it was sunny and there was no wind, it wasn't bad at all, except for my eyes trying to freeze shut because of ice in my eyelashes.  I've tried wearing sunglasses while I run, but they kept fogging up.

I can't wait for Spring.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                      Emil Zatopek

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Warmest - 96F (dry heat - felt like 96F)

Coldest - Minus 56F (was like -38F with a wind)

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

rgilbert, you are my new best friend.  Adding it to my shopping cart now. =)

I cannot recommend this stuff enough for that reason (as a blind-as-a-bat runner, I have to wear glasses when I run, so I have tried a lot of products).

~Kate

Life is short.  Running makes it seem longer.

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

Coldest I think I ever ran is was single digits, something like 5 or 6. I don't believe I have run with temps below that. Hottest is nothing compared to some of the areas south of me (I live in NH). But I'd say maybe in the 90s.

In either scenario, the run was no longer than a 5 miler.

PRs

1-Mile - 6:18 on 4-4-2015

5K - 21:48 on 10-31-2015

10K - 47:57 on 10-24-2015

HM - 1:52:36 on 3-25-2017

FULL - 4:41:12 on 1-11-2015

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Disney World 19.3 Challenge

Race the Runways 10K