Your Vee-bram five fingers are now officially mainstream....ish. (Read 1457 times)

an amazing likeness

Story on NPR Radio.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

RunsForCake

Well it certainly is a popular topic lately.  This was in my local running store's monthly email this week.  But from the looks of the last paragraph I think maybe they are just trying to unload some Newtons. 

Barefoot Running is HOT - but please be cautious!

For years, shoe manufacturers have been developing product that will work more naturally with our feet. Nike launched their "barefoot" running shoes (the Nike Free) over five years ago, Newton introduced their breakthrough shoes two years ago, as did Vibram Five Fingers and Ecco joined the group this spring with the Biom Project - just to name a few. At the same time, the traditional technique of "heel to toe" running has been challenged. Specific methods of improving form such as the Pose Method, Chi Running and Evolution Running have gained a significant following. The New York Times best selling book "Born To Run" has elevated the interest in questioning the way we run and what we run in.

My high school coach, Rick Kleyman, had us doing barefoot drills 25 years ago.  His goal was to strengthen our feet and improve our running form. His influence and forward thinking is why we've been early adopters of product that allows our customers to incorporate this type of running into their training programs. We encourage using barefoot running as a training tool - something you do a few times a week as part of your warm up or warm down. The products you use for this, Nike Free or Vibram Five Fingers, should be used for a portion of your training or for wearing around the house. For most of us, those shoes don't offer enough protection from the high impact forces we encounter on the firm surfaces we normally run on. More substantial shoes, when used in conjunction with proper form, should be used as your daily training shoe.

In the book Born to Run, the author points out that injury rates have increased since the 70s and 80s. He wants to link this increase in injury rate to overbuilt modern shoes. I disagree. While it is true that the group of Tarahumara Indians that he documents in the book run in nothing more than a basic sandal - they have been doing this their entire life. They are also extremely fit (running hundreds of miles at a time) and very efficient. Put them in today's top level running shoes and they get hurt. What does that prove? Only that Tarahumara Indians shouldn't wear modern running shoes.

But why are we hurt more today - is it because of the shoes? I don't think so. Injury rates are slightly higher now than they were 30 years ago - but the average runner of 30 years ago is nothing like the average runner of today. 30 years ago the average marathon time was around 3:10.  Today it is closer to 4:30. I think most people would agree that comparing 3:10 marathoners to 4:30 marathoners is not really comparing apples to apples. The beauty of the explosion of running over the last 15 years is that almost everyone realizes they can run a marathon.  In a 16 week period people are going from having never run more than a 5K to completing a marathon. Maybe that's where we're getting the increase in injury rate. To be honest, I'm surprised the injury frequency has only increased slightly over the last 30 years.

Now for the good news. The true benefit that is coming from these discussions is re-thinking the way we run - the movement toward "natural running". Traditionally, people have been taught to run "heel to toe" - landing on the heel and then pushing off with the toe. This is not the best way to run - it's not natural. Test it for yourself. Try landing on your heel while running barefoot on a hard surface - you'll only do it once (unless you enjoy pain). When you land heel first, the force of impact travels right up the bones of your leg - which is not only painful, but also slows you down. Proper form would be to land with your foot parallel to the ground (also called a "midfoot" strike) allowing your muscles and tendons to absorb the impact, store the energy and then spring back into the next stride. If you can train yourself to land that way and work on a cadence of 90 steps per foot per minute, you will be well on your way to improved running, and more importantly, reduced injuries. This works for everyone, regardless of pace. In fact the 3:10 marathoners that aren't working on their form better start looking over their shoulders for the 4:30 marathoners who are!

So, does this mean everyone should run out and change the shoes they've been using for years? No. While we've always felt it is a good idea to re-evaluate the shoes you are wearing on a regular basis, if you've been properly fit for your shoes, you're probably fine. What's more important is to focus on improving your running form. Once you've got your form dialed in, it is likely that you will need less structure to your shoe and you may be able to transition

to a different type of shoe.

If you want to incorporate barefoot running into your training to help with your form and foot strength, by all means, give it a try. But please do so cautiously.

This discussion could go on for hours, but in the interest of everyone's time, I'll stop now. In the meantime, check out Newton's website for a great tutorial on proper running technique, here's the link:

http://www.newtonrunning.com/run-better/optimal-running-form

galberras

fear the Col Sanders

Even mainstream for non-runners.

I've seen two different people (both obviously non-runners) wearing them at the gym.  It made me sad that I wasn't sporting mine.

Oh, and I cannot be bothered with the correct pronunciation of Vibram.  It just sounds off!

Just because I look dumb doesn't mean I'm not...

Best Present Ever

Even mainstream for non-runners.

I've seen two different people (both obviously non-runners) wearing them at the gym.  It made me sad that I wasn't sporting mine.

Oh, and I cannot be bothered with the correct pronunciation of Vibram.  It just sounds off!

I've seen them on non-runners at the gym, but not yet on a real live runner. And I don't understand -- I've worn hiking boots iwth Vibram soles for 25 years, and never had anyone in an outdoor store feel compelled to call them Vee-bram soles (nor have they pronounced Scarpa as if they were Italian, though it's an Italian brand as well).  Why do we have to call them Veebram FFs?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

injury rates have increased since the 70s and 80s...30 years ago the average marathon time was around 3:10.  Today it is closer to 4:30.

*gasp*

So modern running shoes are responsible for a substantial slowing in marathon times too?!??!

MrH

So modern marathon marketing and training programs are responsible for a substantial slowing in marathon times too?!??!

It's all about the money.  I've heard some marathon race directors are so greedy that they allow as many as 200 entrants and don't even pay for the course to be certified.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Cryptic

lol yeah that must be the reason...because there is no other extremely obvious reason for the slower average time per marathon.....ahhhh have to love this decade.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It's all about the money.  I've heard some marathon race directors are so greedy that they allow as many as 200 entrants and don't even pay for the course to be certified.

RDs are liars and idiots.

But the racers are even more stupider.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

lol yeah that must be the reason...because there is no other extremely obvious reason for the slower average time per marathon.....ahhhh have to love this decade.

Heh, yeah...I'm sure it has nothing to do with Title 9 and all those slow, chubby moms who take up running and are curious to test their physical limits... Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Never mind.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

RunsForCake

Heh, yeah...I'm sure it has nothing to do with Title 9 and all those slow, chubby moms who take up running and are curious to test their physical limits... Wink

So I can blame my Title 9 sports bra on my snail-like pace? 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So I can blame my Title 9 sports bra on my snail-like pace? 

I didn't get mine there, but I think they carry mine.  Maybe I can blame Champion. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

This just made me think...

"Kerry1976 - slowing down the running community since 2007."

TRUST THE PROCESS

RunsForCake

Maybe if we ditch the bras and go topless we'll run faster!