Jscovill (Read 1842 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wow, I have been running all my life and just ran a 3:06:46 las December at my fastest marathon. Gee, this fella has only been running 1 1/2 years, ran in the past month 60% of the miles I have run all year, and popped a 2:45 marathon this past Spring. I could learn something from him!
    Fixed, again.

Supa Dupa Fly

From his log: Date: 7/25/2008 1:30 AM Surprised Type: Easy Course: Random Route Distance: 8.3 miles Duration: 1:04:00 Pace: 7:43 / mile Shoe: Mizuno Wave Rider 11 - Orange/White/Black Weight: 155 lb Weather: 70° F Notes: drunk, was going for a 3 mile ruun to get rid of the liquor. figured no way I'm getting up fo the 6 am run so keep going. heads woozy, legs are still ok. fucking unbelievable. Statistics: Calories: 973 VO2 Max: 43 LOL - now there's some dedication?
      ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--
      Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I bet he hasn't even seen this thread because he's out there running!

TRUST THE PROCESS

obsessor

From his log: Date: 7/25/2008 1:30 AM Surprised Type: Easy Course: Random Route Distance: 8.3 miles Duration: 1:04:00 Pace: 7:43 / mile Shoe: Mizuno Wave Rider 11 - Orange/White/Black Weight: 155 lb Weather: 70° F Notes: drunk, was going for a 3 mile ruun to get rid of the liquor. figured no way I'm getting up fo the 6 am run so keep going. heads woozy, legs are still ok. fucking unbelievable. Statistics: Calories: 973 VO2 Max: 43 LOL - now there's some dedication?
          Had to quote this so it got posted again. Awesome. Anyhow ... JEFF!!!!!!! I hope you gut it back down to the 90 to 110 mile range and get in some truly hard and fast intervals before your next marathon. You will do much more. Cut back before that marathon, and work on your speed. Dang - I want to do what you are doing right now.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

From looking at his log, he'll probably just go out for another quick 8 miler.
            Hey, maybe he can run back a (long) ways and run me in... Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

WOW, just WOW. I just crossed 1000 miles, and that's for SEVEN months of running consistently. Needless to say I'm impressed, not to mention humbled. Way to go Jeff!

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Fixed, again.
                Trent, JK, this has nothing to do with me, however Trent, I have not been running all my life. December marathon was not my fastest marathon, but my "first" marathon (after only 15 months of training). Plus, this guy is 10 years younger. Eat my shorts Trent! Tongue I too am learning increased mileage is just important as quality, but irritated with those thinking mega miles alone is the ticket to faster times. My 2¢, a lot of junk miles, knowingly or not. There has to be a reason Obessor said to cut back. Why did I post what I did? 1) The guy did not post here looking for a pat on the back. JK did, otherwise I might have said, "WOW. WTG dude". 2) I was unaware of when he started, but still, comparatively speaking, running that much one would think based on the advice from several overly simplified folk that more miles equals faster times, over less miles and quality. Regardless of when he started, his times should be closer to elite status since running elite mileage. (maybe they will be soon?) 3) Case in point, I only quickly compared him to JeffE, in that Jeff ran sub-6 pace for 20 miles in his 2007 CMM race. Sure Jeff has been running longer, but still....That over mileage is what impresses me. To sum it up, I don't think this guy is running to say, "Hey look at how many miles I've run, or "Hey look at how many marathons I've run in such short span of time", but running to run as fast as he can. MTA: Jeff, that is amazing! Shocked That is all I have to say on this matter. I have counted to three!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Dave

Although I already bragged him about him elsewhere, those not paying attention might want to. He's one decent run away from hitting SIX HUNDRED MILES for the month of July: http://runningahead.com/logs/b07a9e4c9ed9462e9e6e98c19e249705
                  Yes. But were they quality miles? Awesome. I can't imagine running that far in a month. My knees would fall off.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

December marathon was not my fastest marathon, but my "first" marathon
                    You have run one marathon. You pinned on a bib, paid your fee. You run a race, you get a time. That is the only bar we have to measure ability. You ran a 3:06. You have yet to run that distance faster. That is your PR.
                    obsessor

There has to be a reason Obessor said to cut back.
                      Reason: Recipe for Speed in Marathon, by DLD. 1. Build gradually to running big miles. 2. Vary terrain, distance and pace. 3. Run some hard, some very hard, and most easy. 4. Cut back miles and increase % of HARD work, for a short period of time. 5. Taper to taste, depends on person. 6. Set to cook at 26.2 miles for 150 minutes or less, or until breaked. 7. Enjoy PR or bitter taste of defeat, (the usual result). Repeat 2x a year as required. More, for more fun, but not additional repetitions require additional time. (jscoville is on step ~2.5, in my estimation. He will beat my times, I'm sure, if he doesn't break. I was trying to provide constructive encouragement.)
                        Holy crap, man its pretty intense looking at his log. There's so many bars in it... Tongue thats crazy awesome dude, keep it up! Big grin
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

600.7 Point seven. POINT SEVEN. Dude. Have a beer.
                            Trent, The way you used "fastest" implied more than one marathon. Leave me alone. I mean it you bastard! Evil grin

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

protoplasm72

Wow that graph looks like JK's beer drinking graph. How long do a pair of shoes last? 3 weeks? Crazy stuff.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

JakeKnight

Not surprising at all that Scovill hit 600. Actually, I would have fallen out of my chair if he hadn't. What a @$%Q stud.
                                Trent, The way you used "fastest" implied more than one marathon. Leave me alone. I mean it you bastard! Evil grin
                                pRed has not only redeemed himself, but actually wins the whole thread with his final posting. So here's my obvious question for you, Ricky: forgetting all the above argument ... don't you just wonder what might happen if you went out and ran 300 miles a month for the next year? I sure do. I'd love to know what would happen if somebody with your obvious talent tried it. If all the big mileage guys are wrong ... well, so what? You built yourself a big base, and had a lot of fun running. But, man, what if they're right? You're a perfect test case to find out. And personally I'd bet some large amounts of beer that the results would be sort of amazing.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------