Weight gain and weight loss monitoring (Read 95 times)

Daniel

As I've been losing more weight I notice that i get really sluggish sometimes. Its this something that will happen because over time I'm losing some of that fat that my body could really on while running long distances? Do most runners keep track of their weight on a daily/ weekly basis?

Mmmmm...beer

It's more likely that it's simply because of your decreased caloric intake. It's a fine line to walk to try and lose weight and still keep your energy up to train.

Having previously been obese, I'm always aware of my weight, but try not to focus on it too much. Unless I have a specific goal. I have leaned out a bit more this year in preparation for my upcoming marathon. I'm 10lbs lighter than I was at the same race last year, and much stronger, so that's good.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

GinnyinPA

It also depends on what you are eating. Find the foods that give you energy. A high protein low carb diet, for example, may not give you enough carbohydrates to fuel your runs.

If you are training fairly seriously, you might want to cut back on your rate of weight loss. Instead of trying to lose a pound a week, go for .5. Or work on just maintenance until your goal race is over.

paul2432

I weigh myself a few times a week.  I like to weigh myself after a long run to know if I'm dehydrated.  I also weigh myself to make sure I'm not gaining weight and not realizing it.

Low body fat is not likely a factor in fatigue.

Daniel

It's more likely that it's simply because of your decreased caloric intake. It's a fine line to walk to try and lose weight and still keep your energy up to train.

Having previously been obese, I'm always aware of my weight, but try not to focus on it too much. Unless I have a specific goal. I have leaned out a bit more this year in preparation for my upcoming marathon. I'm 10lbs lighter than I was at the same race last year, and much stronger, so that's good.

I haven't tried to lose weight this week, but I'll make up for it this week trying to get ready for my half marathon on Saturday. I don't guess it had occurred to me the loss inn calories was the true culprit of my problem. I'm saving the weight loss again for after race season is over for me (after Saturday). I've now lost 50 pounds since I started running though and now down to 185. Pretty awesome feeling!

Mmmmm...beer

I haven't tried to lose weight this week, but I'll make up for it this week trying to get ready for my half marathon on Saturday. I don't guess it had occurred to me the loss inn calories was the true culprit of my problem. I'm saving the weight loss again for after race season is over for me (after Saturday). I've now lost 50 pounds since I started running though and now down to 185. Pretty awesome feeling!

Congrats, that's awesome! Keep up the good work. 

I try no to cut too much when I'm training hard, this cycle has just been a few small tweaks in nutrition and more focus on strength training, it's worked well. But def better to save the serious weight loss for the "off" season. I like to say that summer bodies are made in the winter! lol

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

NorthNorthwest

All great thoughts and advice here. I lost about 20 #s when I started getting serious about running. Looking back on that time and the year or two after, here's what I'd add:

1) When I had weight to lose, I could get away with harder training and weight loss. Especially if I was loading up on easy/recovery miles. As I got closer to what I think is a normal weight for me I much more had to choose between one or the other, as others have pointed out.

2) I felt like I put myself at greater risk of injury when I tried to do too much of both (hard training and weight loss). And doing both definitely made me sluggish. Especially once I got around my ideal weight. Looking back at my logs, my worst injuries were when I was 3-5 #s lighter than I am now. Too light, I now suspect.

3) I've now been at a healthy weight for about 5 years. My approach is that I don't worry about my weight as long as I'm doing all the things I need to be doing: smart training plan, regular strength training, listening to my body, and a nutritious diet that feeds my miles...and my occasional burger craving. I know that I could be faster in the short-term if I lost 3-5 #s, but I seriously worry about injury if I push myself outside of what feels normal (because 70 mile weeks are totally normal, right?). I've read enough accounts about disordered eating among college and elite runners to scare me straight into not obsessing about my weight anymore and focus on being strong.

Congrats on everything, and I wish you continued success!