Integration with Suunto's Movescount (Read 211 times)

vincentbouchard

Hi,

I've read elsewhere in the forum that you are currently in the process of integrating runningahead with Garmin Connect, so that Garmin users can sync their Garmin Connect account directly with Runningahead via the new Garmin API. That's awesome!

However I'm a Suunto Ambit2 user... I was wondering whether it's in the future plans to provide a similar integration with Suunto's Movescount website. I don't know how Suunto works (whether they charge something like the 5K that Garmin charges), but they currently have integration with quite a few third party apps, such as Strava, TrainingPeaks, MapMyFitness, Rubitrack, etc. It would be really awesome if Runningahead was added to this list! I've been using Runningahead as my main running log for years, and I love it!

Thanks a lot,

Vincent

flauta

Out of curiosity, how do you load your Suunto info into RunningAhead now?  I am a Garmin user and getting frustrating with the GPS glitches I am experiencing so I am considering the notion of switching.  Thanks

flauta

Out of curiosity, how do you load your Suunto info into RunningAhead now?  I am a Garmin user and getting frustrating with the GPS glitches I am experiencing so I am considering the notion of switching.  Thanks

runmichigan

I am not a Suunto owner but I had considered buying one.  From reading the FAQs and such it appears you can export your workouts from Movescount to your computer as a GPX file.  You would then upload the file to RA using the file uploader.  It is a three step process:

1.  Upload from Suunto to Movescount

2.  Download gpx file from Movescount to your computer

3.  Upload gpx file from your computer to RA

What kind of GPS glitches do you have with Garmin?  I can't recall the last time I've had a glitch?

flauta

I am not a Suunto owner but I had considered buying one.  From reading the FAQs and such it appears you can export your workouts from Movescount to your computer as a GPX file.  You would then upload the file to RA using the file uploader.  It is a three step process:

Thanks much.  Not seamless but not too difficult either.

flauta

What kind of GPS glitches do you have with Garmin?  I can't recall the last time I've had a glitch?

I think it is really a Garmin Fenix3 problem, which I have otherwise liked very much.

It started with GPS just being off - hen I ran the Boston Marathon in April, it read 26.7 miles.  My GPS often reads a bit long in a marathon but usually no more than 0.2 mile.  

Then a couple weeks ago I ran a trail 10k which had lots of switch backs and elevation changes.  When I finished it read only 5.2 miles.  I have seen in message boards that the Fenix3 tends to not be super accurate in situations like this, but this was way off.  I looked at the usual adjustments - make sure Ultratrak was off, turned GLONASS on and off but not effect.

Then earlier this week I just could not get a GPS fixing of any sort whatsoever.  So I finally called Garmin customer service.  After giving my serial number they, said there was a "manufacturing problem" which has since been addressed.  So they offered to replace it.  I appreciate it but I bought it at REI anyway which will be a quicker return.

I really do hope that it was a defective GPS which has been fixed and not just piece of cr*p because I otherwise like these watches.  However, I am really getting tired of this!

vincentbouchard

Sorry flauta I missed your reply. But what i do is exactly what was said:

1) Upload to Movescount from your watch.

2) Export your workout from movescount (I export as .fit since somehow runningahead reads it better, although for some reason it doesn't read the distance so I have to input the total distance by hand -- but everything else is in the file).

3) Import the file to runningahead.

Yes it's not very complicated. But Suunto has had integration with many other websites for a while now (for instance with Strava; as soon as my workouts are uploaded to Movescount they are automatically added to Strava). It'd be great to have something similar with Runningahead! :-)

Vincent

flauta

Thanks much, it was still helpful.  I did make the change, and went back to REI to exchange my Gsrmin Fenix 3 for a Suunto Ambit3 Peak.  So far, so good.  I really like it and am very happy with a much more predictable and accurate GPS.

Wing

Joggaholic

This is exactly what I do.  The .tcx file works well. If your run doesn't have gps info (such as if you ran on treadmill), then movecount will not let you dump out .tcx, but .fit is available.

flauta

uploading from Movescount works fine for me if I upload in .fit or .tcx format, but when I upload in .gpx format I lose split and other detail.  Has anyone else experienced that?

dumrunner

Yes, for some reason, splits are not included with the gpx file. I have been exporting a gpx file from Strava (which is synced to Movescount) and uploading that file (which doesn't include splits either, but I don't usually care about splits). When I want to record the splits in RA, I'll upload the tcx file from Movescount.

eric :)

The GPX file format does not support intervals.  It was designed to store GPS coordinates only, thus allowing you to create a map.  It is not meant for workouts, which has far more data fields than just GPS coordinates and timestamps.

eric Smile

flauta

Thanks Eric - that makes sense.

Btw, switching from Garmin Fenix3 to Suunto Ambit3 Peak has been a great move. I like it much better.

vincentbouchard

Eric, do you know why when I import a .fit file from Movescount to runningahead everything is imported except the total distance of the workout? I need to input the total distance by hand somehow. Not sure why. It is certainly part of the data in the .fit file, since the laps (i have automatic 1km laps) are there.

Thanks!

Vincent