Thanks to all of You... (Read 830 times)

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

Ran a brutal local 15K (and met Zoom-Zoom and Backroadrunner!), The Kent City Ridge Run, known as Jill's Hills, yesterday. And, largly due to all that I have learned at RA from reading the posts. I'm 52 and decided to run my first 5K at 50. Pretty much did everything wrong in my first two years of running. I always tried to run my race pace when I trained - leading to two injuries last year (see the drop in miles in December and January), but still managed three half marathons, a bunch of 5Ks and several Indoor Triathalons nonetheless. On the longer events I basically ran/walk. So my goal this year is to run my three half marathons from start to finish. After reading the posts on RA, here are some of the lessons learned:. 1) Run slowly. This seemed counter-intuitive. And, the first time I slowed down, I ran four miles. Easily. Now my base is between 5-6 miles and climbing. 2) Don't do intervals 3-4 times a week. This takes a lot of discipline to not do more, but this is good advice and has helped a lot. Just doing one a week right now. 3) No ibuprofen before, during or after the race. Trent, I heard you Smile 4) Enjoy the ride. I'm so dang competive (and really a slow runner) that I get all knotted up over my times. My race goals now are more along the lines of finishing between normal race pace and training pace and finishing with some grace. 5) Works towards 20 mpw. I'm getting there. This March was one of my highest mileage months. So how did I do in the 15K? I finished in 1:46:49 (11:30 pace) on a truly hilly course. I only walked about 1/2 to 3/4 mile of the total. I was thrilled. My goal was finishing in two hours. And *bonus* met Zoom-Zoom and Backroadrunner and they were waiting for me at the finish (along with the friend that initially suggested running this race). They could not have been more encouraging. So, thanks to you all. Know that those of us that are less experienced are listening and learning. And, thanks Zoom-Zoom and Backroadrunner for being there until the bitter end!
    March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)

Member Since 2008

Good job on the race and welcome to our community. Smile
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Girl, it was SUCH a treat to meet you yesterday, too! I promise that the next race we do together will include a cooler with post-race bloody marys in the trunk! Big grin Isn't that a great race?! I think anyone who can survive that race and want to return is made of some tough stuff. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations!! Thanks for the report, and keep us posted! I'm a lot like you, so I like hearing how you're doing. Smile

Outside Lane

Congrats on your 15K - sounds like a tough race and you finished well ahead of your goal. Way to go! Good luck on your HM in April. Sounds like you are definitely ready for it.

See how they run...

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

Congratulations!! Thanks for the report, and keep us posted! I'm a lot like you, so I like hearing how you're doing. Smile
              Yes, I have noticed from your posts that they could have been mine. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm really excited about the recent progress.
              March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)
              redleaf

a little late but I wanted to add my kudos too! Big grin

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362