Hamstring injury questions? (Read 75 times)

Eddieathlete

I struggle from hamstring injuries, which means I always dread sprinting. How about you? When do hamstring injuries seem to occur, in both sprints and hurdles? At what point in a race? And how?

GinnyinPA

For me, hamstring issues are worse when I run fast, run hills, or run on cambered roads.

Get yourself to a physical therapist. Have you talked to your coach about the pain you're feeling?

Eddieathlete

I haven't officially joined track yet, I sprint in my spare time and have hamstring issues. I saw a physical therapist a while ago. Any idea when in a race hamstring injuries seem to occur?

I've found deep foam rolling to really help with hamstring issues.  You need to put considerable weight on the roller to reach the spots that need work.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

SMART Approach

You likely need strength work and are doing too much sprinting creating soreness and improper warm up. What events you going to participate in.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Hamstring injuries are more common in sprinting/interval workouts and a good warm up is essential including dynamic stretches and then static stretches after the cool down to prevent tightening.  Building a stronger core will help and a PT will be able to advise you on a specific strength training program.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Eddieathlete

You likely need strength work and are doing too much sprinting creating soreness and improper warm up. What events you going to participate in.

I'm going to participate in hurdles and sprints, probably the 100m of both. When are injuries common in them?

Christirei

what everyone is trying to say is that there is no ONE POINT in a race when you will most likely strain your hamstring, instead focus on preventing the hamstring from straining in the first place, mostly with strength training, appropriate warm ups and smart rehab

SMART Approach

I'm going to participate in hurdles and sprints, probably the 100m of both. When are injuries common in them?

I think you get the idea based on responses here. All out efforts too much too soon can cause injuries. Distance runners experience the same thing especially newer runners who go has hard as they can on all their runs without adequate recovery. There needs to be easy runs/work outs to ensure recovery. For you, you will get injured if you you keep adding hard efforts on top of each before recovering from previous efforts. On non sprint days you jog, work on strength, work on starts, flxibility/mobility work etc. (active recover). I sure hope your coach is on top of this and in charge of your training. Please listen to him/her. An injured quad lr hammy for a sprinter is a BIG DEAL and really sets you back.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Eddieathlete

I think you get the idea based on responses here. All out efforts too much too soon can cause injuries. Distance runners experience the same thing especially newer runners who go has hard as they can on all their runs without adequate recovery. There needs to be easy runs/work outs to ensure recovery. For you, you will get injured if you you keep adding hard efforts on top of each before recovering from previous efforts. On non sprint days you jog, work on strength, work on starts, flxibility/mobility work etc. (active recover). I sure hope your coach is on top of this and in charge of your training. Please listen to him/her. An injured quad lr hammy for a sprinter is a BIG DEAL and really sets you back.

Thanks. Would it be a good idea to pull up lame in a race if I feel a minor twinge in the hammy?

SMART Approach

Thanks. Would it be a good idea to pull up lame in a race if I feel a minor twinge in the hammy?

Tricky question. Feeling something may not be a big deal. You likely know when it is more than a twinge. Usually when a muscle goes it goes and you instinctually pull up. It may be too late but you can definitely do more damage if you feel something and keep pushing.

Eddieathlete

Tricky question. Feeling something may not be a big deal. You likely know when it is more than a twinge. Usually when a muscle goes it goes and you instinctually pull up. It may be too late but you can definitely do more damage if you feel something and keep pushing.

Good point. Let's say I feel my hamstring tense up rounding the bend in a 200m. What would you recommend I do?

morphex

For me there have been 2 things I could do to prevent injuries.

That is stretching regularly, and if I get an injury/pain/soreness, stretch more often in that region.

Other than that, a gradual build up seems to be important, not straining some muscles, leading to bad form, leading to major injuries.

Oh and yes, strength exercises.

I had a problem with my right foot which seems to be gone now, with help of all of the above.

On Instagram at https://instagram.com/morphexx

On Twitter at https://twitter.com/blogologue

Blogging at http://blogologue.com

Eddieathlete

Alright. Should I pull up if I feel a twinge in my hammy?

an amazing likeness

Alright. Should I pull up if I feel a twinge in my hammy?

Probably not for a twinge. Spasm is different...it is the precursor to bad stuff.  Strain (grade 2) or tear will stop you in your tracks, immediately.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.