Flu shots (Read 1073 times)

ymmv

I don't really need to understand it, I heard about it on Fox news while listening to 1110 KFAB out of Nebraska, I'm sure they did thier research.

I would encourage everyone to do their best to truly understand what they hear on any news or entertainment broadcast.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I heard about it on Fox news while listening to 1110 KFAB out of Nebraska, I'm sure they did thier research.

I'm sure they did. Fox News usually does get facts straight.

oops.  Never mind.

chrimbler

I'm sure they did. Fox News usually does get facts straight.

oops.  Never mind.

I think someone said 'If it's on the internet it must be true'....

Run like you stole it!
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

jfa

Damn Iranians.Must have moved their country when we weren't looking.Sneaky.

I just read in the local news yesterday that they are recommending the regular flu shot NOW for at-risk groups (young, old, diabetics, asthmatics, etc.) and then the H1N1 when it becomes available next month.  Seems that this recommendation for the standard shot is coming early this year.  I can't recall ever getting the shot much before Halloween in the past.

Does anyone know if getting the shot so early will require a second shot later in the Winter?  I thought the shot was only good for a couple of months.  When I have gotten the flu in the past it's usually been around Jan. or Feb.

I work in a family practice.

You can't get the H1N1 vaccine until over 30 days after you get regular flu shot.  So if you wait too long, you're into November and December before you can get the H1N1 vaccine, which greatly increases the chances of getting it. 

If you get a regular flu shot now you should be good for the winter.  6 months, minimum, and likely longer.  There are always exceptions, but that's the general rule.

H1N1 is being distributed on a priority basis.  Pregnant women first, then health care workers, kids under 18, people in households who have infant contact, people who have underlying conditions that could be aggravated by flu, then regular healthy older folks.

There are a lot of stupid rumors out there, and the media is irresponsibly blowing H1N1 out of proportion.  Yes it can be serious, but so can the regular flu.  Yes its different, but its not any more virulent than other flu strains.

Damn Iranians.Must have moved their country when we weren't looking.Sneaky.

It's more about Egypt. Those pyramids are heavy.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

chrimbler

There are a lot of stupid rumors out there, and the media is irresponsibly blowing H1N1 out of proportion.  Yes it can be serious, but so can the regular flu.  Yes its different, but its not any more virulent than other flu strains.

Thankyou....that's the point I was trying to make at the start....I think

Run like you stole it!

i sacrificed the gift

"I don't really understand it, I heard about it on Fox News"

You just sacrificed the gift.

You really had us going there, but laid that one on a little too thick.  Trolling is all about subtlety dude.

Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
                  Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
                  Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA
                  chrimbler

I said I don't really NEED to understand it....meaning it doesn't affect me as I don't live in the US...no trolling performed dude
                    Run like you stole it!
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You can't get the H1N1 vaccine until over 30 days after you get regular flu shot.

Just today our state HD reaffirmed that you can get the two vaccines together.  The exception is if you get the nasal spray vaccine, in which case you need to wait 3 weeks.  But if you get traditional injections, you can be vaccinated against both H1N1 and standard influenza together.

You can't get the H1N1 vaccine until over 30 days after you get regular flu shot.  

I don't think that is correct.  That doesn't make sense from an immunological or epidemiological standpoint. You should be able to get both together. 

If 2 shots are required for the H1N1 vaccine (which is looking less likely), you probably would have to wait 30 days between those shots for the "booster" vaccination.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The recommendation is that ONE shot is needed for H1N1 unless you are under 9 years of age.
                            The recommendation is that ONE shot is needed for H1N1 unless you are under 9 years of age.

Is this now an official recommendation?  If so, I must have missed it. I've only seen the data just released from the H1N1 trials showing 1 dose provides effective immunity.

I know the recommendation for the seasonal vaccine is 2 doses for kids under 9 years. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr58e0821a1.htm

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This came from our state HD today.

There is nothing about this on the CDC's website at the moment:

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/acip.htm