Flu shots (Read 1073 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Flu shots at school aren't until Oct. 16th (free) -- I don't think I want to wait, I'm going this weekend and just pay for it.

Yeah, apparently if I go to my PCP for the regular shot ins. will cover it.  I don't think they will cover it if I get it at Walgreens.  Walgreens has the shot now...PCP isn't predicted to get it until early Oct.  By then I might as well wait and get both vaccines together.  So hopefully the Pig won't bite me before that vaccine is available.  I think for the next 3 weeks that I will just hole-up in my house and tell my DH and DS to avoid breathing on me. Tongue  Tapering for Fall marathons this year is gonna be extra miserable with the very real fear of flu everywhere.  Last time I had the flu I was borderline hallucinating on the sofa while running a 102+ temp and alternating between sweating and shivering.  A 5k walk would have been out of the question for the better part of a week.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

redleaf

Apparently we (Canadians) are all just messed up. Every province is doing something different. Here's mine; so I cannot get the seasonal flu until AFTER I get the H1N1. Apparently this is because of "preliminary research suggesting people who have had seasonal flu shots might be at greater risk of catching swine flu."

Ontario's chief medical officer of health announced a three-pronged approach to flu vaccination in the province Thursday:

• Seasonal flu vaccinations for people older than 65 and residents of long-term care homes will take place in October, given these groups are considered to be at greater risk from that flu than from swine flu.
      • A wider swine flu vaccination campaign for the rest of the population starting in November, when a vaccine becomes available against the H1N1 influenza A virus, the swine flu strain that has been spreading worldwide since April.
      • Seasonal flu vaccinations for people younger than 65 — but only after the H1N1 shots have been given.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/09/25/h1n1-seasonal-flu.html

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

xor

I wonder why a regular flu shot might put you more at risk for The Pig?  Huh.

I wonder why a regular flu shot might put you more at risk for The Pig?  Huh.

Cause it makes you hongry. For poke chops.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just got the regular shot.  Not bad.  Some years my arm feels like I've been kicked by a horse, but this one doesn't feel too sore.  Maybe tomorrow it will hurt worse, but the pharmacist dude who gave me the shot said that he had his a day or two ago and was pleasantly surprised by how easy this one has been.

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

Apparently we (Canadians) are all just messed up. Every province is doing something different. Here's mine; so I cannot get the seasonal flu until AFTER I get the H1N1. Apparently this is because of "preliminary research suggesting people who have had seasonal flu shots might be at greater risk of catching swine flu."

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/09/25/h1n1-seasonal-flu.html

Yeah I heard this on NPR this morning

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Drunk Half Lotus Pose

Conversation in my classroom first thing this morning....

Me: Hey, friend, how's it going?

Student (looking not well): I don't feel good. I had a fever but my mom gave my medicine and told me not to tell anyone. If I did, I will be grounded.

Me (looking horrified!): Get out! I mean it! Go to the nurse now! Don't touch anything. Don't breath on anyone. Go! Now!

She did not return. I guess she's grounded.

Jennifer
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here's a strange scenario...I took my kid to Walgreen's for his flu shot, since his pediatrician isn't expecting it until about the same time that they get the H1N1.

Gal at Walgreen's says "he's too young."  I'm like WTF?  Apparently Walgreen's won't give kids under 14 the flu shot.  Why is this?

So now we have to wait...when my kid is right at that age where earlier is better...friggin' kids coughing and sneezing and not washing their hands and all.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

From the Walgreens clinic (i.e., Take Care Clinic) website:

Vaccinations* Flu (Seasonal) – $24.99/dose for standard Flu Shot.*
                    2 years +
                    * Also available for patients 2 years +:
                    FluMist® Needle Free Flu Vaccine - $29.99/dose
                    Preservative Free Flu Shot - $29.99/dose

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Is his school scheduling any flu clinics?  Ours will giving seasonal and H1N1 shots at the beginning of November.  It was supposed to happen sooner, but the shipment to Maine was delayed for some reason.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

From the Walgreens clinic (i.e., Take Care Clinic) website:

Vaccinations*Flu (Seasonal) – $24.99/dose for standard Flu Shot.*
                        2 years +
                        * Also available for patients 2 years +:
                        FluMist® Needle Free Flu Vaccine - $29.99/dose
                        Preservative Free Flu Shot - $29.99/dose

Well, crap.  I wonder why our Walgreen's isn't following the 2+ age guideline that they are marketing on their site?

Teresa, I wish his school offered a clinic.  That would be really nice.  Maybe I will call our county health dept. and see what they are offering.  It's crazy that I can't get a school-aged kid vaccinated when the vaccine is available fairly widely.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Was it a formal Take Care clinic or a plain Walgreens?
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Was it a formal Take Care clinic or a plain Walgreens?

Just a regular Walgreens...I have never even seen one of the ones with the clinic (those are really new, I think).  But our health dept. is doing shots from 12-4:30 every day.  I may try to get him in on Friday.  Poor kid, though.  He's stressing about the shot and today had finally steeled himself to get jabbed, only to have to extend the apprehension further.

~ Sarah Kay

Mitch & Pete's Mom

I called my GP. No regular seasonal flu shots available. Call back next week.

Called the Ped. No regular seasonal flu shots available. Call back in 2 weeks.

I called the CVS Minute Clinic, ended up in a round of recorded messages. According to the website, the Minute Clinics will stick anybody 18 mos. or older. The regular pharmacies and grocery stores will not.

I'm going to take my kiddos to CVS tonight. I hope the website is right and I can get all of us shot together then go to the  icre cream department right afterwards.

Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.

Best Present Ever

Just a regular Walgreens...I have never even seen one of the ones with the clinic (those are really new, I think).  But our health dept. is doing shots from 12-4:30 every day.  I may try to get him in on Friday.  Poor kid, though.  He's stressing about the shot and today had finally steeled himself to get jabbed, only to have to extend the apprehension further.

Poor guy.  My littlest is completely needle-phobic (which before I had him I always secretly assumed was the parents' fault somehow).  I always have him get flumist. 

On an unrelated note, I can get H1N1 vaccination in the morning if I can get to work before 8 (which wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to RUN first!).