Rockenmamaof5's NJ Ultra Festival 50 mile race report (warning LONG) (Read 899 times)

When I signed up for this race I really had no goals other than finish. I did this race (different course though) last year however I DNF’D at a little over 32 miles. I had been hit by a car in January which totally derailed my training. But I’m stubborn and had already signed up for it so I was going to do my damndest to finish it. Needless to say I had unfinished business.  Well it wasn’t long after I signed up that due to circumstances beyond the RD control they had to move the Festival to a different location. When I found that out I wasn’t all that happy about it. I was even a little worried that the Festival wasn’t going to even go on, though I should have never worried since the RD”S are very professional and top notch!before race

Flash forward to day before the race. I had several friends that were running there as well but in different events, 1 of which I met at the same event last year (Sara aka Ojo) and the other Dari (aka chilidogbeagle) who was doing her very first Ultra. They had both traveled from up north together. This was the first ultra that I actually got a hotel room for and had planned on staying until Sunday afternoon. Anyway we met up at the hotel and had a great time chatting before heading to bib pickup and dinner afterwards. Sara’s prerace dinner of choice is Pizza, something I’ve never had before a race and wasn’t so sure it was a good idea. Despite my worries I ended up eating all but one slice of a pepperoni personal pan pizza (more pizza than I’ve EVER eaten at once)  After dinner we headed back to the hotel where we went and had a drink (well Dari and I ) before heading up to our rooms to get ready and head to bed.

3:30 am. I wake up despite not planning on getting up until 5. My body was so amped up it didn’t feel the need for sleep so I just went with it instead of trying to get more rest. Around 6 I headed to the fair grounds which were about 30 minutes away. Drive went smooth. I grabbed a bagel from DD and ate about half of it before the race. A few minutes before 7 I go out and listen along with the 100 milers to the RD (Formerly known and probably still known as Hasher Rick) give out his short and simple  pre race speech, which basically consisted of how the course was marked and a few other things. I absolutely LOVE the way this guy and his wife run their races btw.

gear

7:15 and Rick yes go. I headed out and it wasn’t long before I found myself in my groove. My heart rate was a bit higher than what I would have liked but that was probably due to the fact that I wasn’t going as slow enough to have the lower heart rate. I decided then to not worry about it. I would just go by feel.  The first close to a mile is on pavement in the fair grounds. Once you get out you make a right and turn immedietly to the right and run  until you hit a fence, touch it turn around and head back.  Now this side wasn’t too bad. A few mud spots but nothing I hadn’t expected.

Once you get back to the road that you turned on, you cross it and go out until you hit the aid station and then turn around. Now this out and back held a few surprises. I knew we had one bridge crossing but I had no clue about the gap that was in the middle of the path that they put ramps up and down over it so that we were able to cross it. BTW LOVED this little “obstacle” They had photographers there to take pictures and the guy before me  jumped way up in the air air. A great shot. I told the woman that there was no way I could do what he did but I would give it my best shot. I think I did pretty good however the camera didn’t quite get it. Oh well can’t expect perfection!first

bridge

obstacle

Another nice little obstacle (besides the mud) was one of the “stream” crossings. If you weren’t careful you might find your feet nice muddy and wet. Well I managed to get my feet wet. Not hard to do when you are trying to find the right rocks to step on. Despite having soggy feet, it never really interfered with my race however I every time I hit that spot (10 times) I still did my best to not get my feet wet. Anyway to move things along I hit the aid spot filled up my water and turned back around so that I could do a replay of all the little “obstacles”  Once I got back to the road you go to the right and are immediately hit with an uphill which I walked up for all  but the last loop. Once you get up the hill it’s not long before you vere to the right and go up a grassy incline then turn left and follow along the road then making another left back into the fairgrounds. I loved the last mile BTW. Had some nice up’s and downs on nice even ground. Not long you take a right and it’s the last stretch before heading into the Richards Building, crossing the line marking your first loop. I had parked my vehicle so that I would pass it each loop. I had put up a table and had all my goodies, drinks, change of clothes, first aid etc for easy access. I grabbed a water, had some of a protein drink and headed in to close my first loop.
    Now before the race I had found 10 mile splits of 11 minute mile average pace. It was above my B goal of 9:30. It was close enough to my A goal of sub 9. 1:50 was what I was aiming for each 10 miles. Well my first 10 mile split was 1:37:27

2nd loop

Immediately after finishing my first loop I headed to the bathrooms. I have the bladder the size of a pea and knew that I would probably be stopping there after each loop (which I did except for one where I ended up finding some bushes ) Now the nice thing about all these out and backs is that you get to see all the other people from the other events. I actually got to see and say hi too Sara and Dari once every single loop (well except for my last loop) It was really nice seeing their smiling faces and seeing how well they were doing.  This loop went pretty much as well as the first loop  Time for my 2nd loop was 1:39: 49 . Still well under my goal of 1:50

3rd loop was  pretty much the same as the other 2 except that I stayed at the aid station a little longer. I also had periods of time where I had gas bubbles that were down in my pelvis area and it hurt to run so I’d have to stop and walk until the gas bubble moved. I was afraid at that point that my race was going to go downhill. I finished that loop in 1:44:23  

4th loop was probably my roughest of all of them. I found myself thinking I had gone out way too fast and that I was going to crash and burn. However I thought even if I had to walk the last loop I would still get in by my goal of 9:30.  I hadn’t used the restroom after the 3rd loops and I found myself having to find some sort of place to do my business. There were enough people out there that you were never alone, fortunately for me I have no problem, just as long as they don’t get an eyeful of everything. The warm temps were starting to get to me so I started upping my salt caps to 2 every 30 minutes or so.  I finished this loop in 1:53:04

Finally my last loop. I couldn’t believe how well my body was holding up. Other than being tired I was actually feeling pretty good. The gas bubbles I had earlier were gone. My hydration and electrolite balance was good. My Garmin died a little under 46 miles in. I didn’t like the fact that I had no back up. Not that I needed to know my pace but I really wanted to keep tabs on the time. I had to be in under 4, or at least that’s what was in my head for the past week. For some odd reason I thought the race started at 7:00 not 7:15 and my mind never registered the 15 minute difference until well after the race.  I found myself leap frogging with a few of the male’s that were running the 100 miles. I did find myself asking a few people what time it was so that I could do the math to make sure I was going to be coming in under 9 hours.  This time when I passed my car on the way in I didn’t even bother stopping. I was hauling ass (wish my Garmin was working cause I know I was going pretty fast considering I was almost at 50 miles) and as I crossed the finish matt I said tell me I’m under 9 hours to Rick. He looked at the results and replied 8:43.23, 3rd place, looks like you get to go shopping.  Well it turns out that they had LOTS of stuff to choose from for the top 3 of each event along with the top 1 of each age group I believe. I ended up going with a case of beer and a nice mug to go with it. Oh and my time for my last loop was 1:48:40
    shoe's afterwards
    This is a TOP NOTCH event and would recommend it to anyone looking to do an Ultra in this area and this time of year. I can’t wait for next year!!

If you made it this far through my novel THANK YOU!! I’m not one for words however I find myself having far too many when it comes to race reports, ESPECIALLY on one’s that I had a great time at!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

A great "story" and I love the pictures!  Congratulations Rocken!

steph  

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Incredible feat.  Too bad about the garmin.  3rd?  Wow.  Congratulations.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

On On

Great job Pam, I love seeing you every time we get together.  Your attitude is first class all the way.

You ran a great race and I look forward to hanging out with you again in the future.

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Congrats on 3rd! I enjoyed reading your race report.  I live in NJ and am doing my first 50 mile ultra at the Dirty German in a couple months.  Perhaps next year I will try this one.

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

jeffdonahue

Great report!!!!  Congratulations!!!!

I'm at work right now but am sending myself an email so I can check out the pictures when I get home tonight.  I may consider that for an Ultra next year (though dont hold me to that, I've said I was going to do one every year for the past 3 years and still havent done one).

Congrats again.

Congratulations on a great race and on placing!  Loved the report & pictures!  So happy that you, Sara, and Dari were able to meet up and share the memories!  Smile

Michelle

ultramarathon/triathlete

Nice work and great write up!  I second that HasherRick runs a great race.  I didn't make it to this one but I ran his winter marathon and had a blast.  I'll be back for more, so maybe we'll meet one day :-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team

A great "story" and I love the pictures!  Congratulations Rocken!

Thanks Tea! Now you need to write up your RR! Congrats again!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Incredible feat.  Too bad about the garmin.  3rd?  Wow.  Congratulations.

Thanks stadjak!

Great job Pam, I love seeing you every time we get together.  Your attitude is first class all the way.

You ran a great race and I look forward to hanging out with you again in the future.

Thanks Rick!

I've enjoyed every race I've done that you put on EVEN run with the devil (though I think my quads hated you for a week afterwards) Looking forward to the next race of yours that I'm able to get out too!

Congrats on 3rd! I enjoyed reading your race report.  I live in NJ and am doing my first 50 mile ultra at the Dirty German in a couple months.  Perhaps next year I will try this one.

Good luck @ the Dirty German! You  really should look into doing this next year or some of the other races that NJ trails puts on! 

Great report!!!!  Congratulations!!!!

I'm at work right now but am sending myself an email so I can check out the pictures when I get home tonight.  I may consider that for an Ultra next year (though dont hold me to that, I've said I was going to do one every year for the past 3 years and still havent done one).

Congrats again.

Thanks Jeff!

YOU really should do this next year!! It's a blast!

Congratulations on a great race and on placing!  Loved the report & pictures!  So happy that you, Sara, and Dari were able to meet up and share the memories!  Smile

THanks Michelle!  Wish you could have been there as well though you will be having your own party next weekend I believe? Hope you enjoy your pacing duties!

Nice work and great write up!  I second that HasherRick runs a great race.  I didn't make it to this one but I ran his winter marathon and had a blast.  I'll be back for more, so maybe we'll meet one day :-)

Thanks Dave!  I'm sure that we will !