At Last - sub 50 min 10k (Read 4410 times)

Nev

Nobody seems to understand why I am so excited - I have been trying to beat 50 minutes since middle of december and I finally did it !! 49:16 on a cold windy friday night after a long hard week in the office. It doesnt matter that my friends dont understand it doesnt matter that my wife cant see why it means so much to me - I am proud of me. Last August I was 220lbs and smoking 20+ per day - today I am 186lbs and not smoking and I can run 10k in under 50 mins. Ok, bragging over, I feel better now. Thank you DJ Steve Boyett I couldnt have done that without Podrunner "fast friends" Nev

Another Passion

Brag away, Nev! That's awesome! Especially considering where you came from just a scant few months ago! I would KILL, ok, I wouldn't kill, but I'd do a lot alright, to run a sub-50 10K! In fact, that is one of my goals this year. So, well done, Nev! Congratulations on your accomplishment! Big grin p.s. - DON'T have a smoke to celebrate. Big grin

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

congratulations! i know how great it felt to finally break the 50min barrier. good for you on losing all that weight and giving up smoking too.
          Awesome Nev. It's a huge accomplishment and you SHOULD brag- don't worry we runners understand!
          Nev

Thanks for the replies ladies. It is a very modest achievement in the grand scheme of tings but I have worked hard for it so I am proud. Enjoy your running & stay safe Nev

Slow-smooth-fast

Nobody seems to understand why I am so excited - I have been trying to beat 50 minutes since middle of december and I finally did it !! 49:16 on a cold windy friday night after a long hard week in the office. It doesnt matter that my friends dont understand it doesnt matter that my wife cant see why it means so much to me - I am proud of me. Last August I was 220lbs and smoking 20+ per day - today I am 186lbs and not smoking and I can run 10k in under 50 mins. Ok, bragging over, I feel better now. Thank you DJ Steve Boyett I couldnt have done that without Podrunner "fast friends" Nev
              You brag away, I can empathise with you. I used to be 266lbs and it took me awhile to go below 50. A year later, and my new goal is sub 40, which I feel is really achievable. Well done.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Nev

Thanks Eddy I know how much you have to work for a few minutes so to be shooting for sub 40 within a year of breaking 50 mins must indicate a great deal of hard work on your part. I only started running last August and did not run outside until October so I think my focus should be on building up the mileage rather than speed for a little while longer (especially as I am an ex-smoker). I have entered the Silverstone half marathon in March and will try to finish in under 2 hours but finishing will be the main goal. After that I really need some inspiration, I would like to get my mileage up to a regular 35 miles per week but I have no aspirations towards a marathon yet !! Good luck with your sub 40 and be sure to brag your head off when you achieve it. Regards Nev
                  Nev, You seem to be right around where I am (and was), except I cannot say that I have a sub 50 10k, that is Awesome! I am striving to be able to say that in the next few months but the focus is more on the Half right now. I say go ahead and pat yourself on the back, because that will make it OK for me to do the same when my turn comes. Smile Great Job!
                  "Better to take the slow approach then the no approach."
                  My Quest to a Marathon blog.262quest.com
                    Great job Nev --- not just on the awesome time (I broke 50 min for the 10K last year, too --- it was a big barrier!) but on your transformation! Can't wait to hear your HM report in the near future Smile
                    2009: BQ?

RIP, Henry, my soul mate

Great job! I completely understand what an achievement this is. My goal for my next 10K race in April is sub-50, so I know how hard you've had to work to get there. Way to go!!!
                      Nev

Thanks to you all for your kind words, I dont think that I have achieved anything amazing yet (you only have to spen a while reading a few threads on this site and you will find some truely amazing tales of transformation and determination) but I am proud of my achievements and I have worked hard - I am a little head strong and despite all of the advice available I ran too far too soon too fast and picked up a few minor injuries along the way but I like to put that down to charecter building. Anyway thanks to all who have taken the time to post, your encouragement means a great deal. Enjoy your running Nev

Outside Lane

Congrats on your sub 50 10K - awesome! I quit smoking 4 mons ago and am training for a half-marathon....picked up about 10 lbs since kicking the butts - trying to get it back off....

See how they run...

Nice job man!

The Greatest of All Time

Well done!
                              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Way to go, Nev!! You've come to the right place to brag! I can only dream of sub-50, so I think it's awesome you did it. Keep up the great work! Teresa