Anyone sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night - Calling all doctors (Read 990 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Okay here is the deal. About nine months ago my wife told me my right calf looked bigger then my left one. Well it never has really hurt but when I wake up it sort of annoying. Anyway, yesterday we measured the two calf's and my right one is 16 inches and the left one is 15 inches. So an inch difference. I ran the columbus marathon 2 1/2 weeks ago and figured I just would rest it after that. So for the last two and half weeks So anyway since it is not getting any better or worse I am going to run on it again tonight. I don't think I can wait any longer. I don't want to lose my monmentum but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what might be the problem or any suggestions on what to do. I had a doctors appointment for last night but that got canceled and the next one is not until Nov 28th. So who wants to play interenet doctor. This injury is driving me nuts.
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    jdmcgregor

All business

They say the track, and many other sports in fact, run clockwise because most people are right-legged. Could this be a result of years of running and turning left? I doubt it, but i just thought i'd throw that out there. (they do change the direction of your indoor track, right? How many laps is it to a mile?)

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Go see a real doc. Get an exam AND an ultrasound to make sure you don't have a blood clot.
        ashares

your spine might be the problem. go to a chiro doc. and get it adjusted. that might straighten your hips out and make the legs the same length again.

Dog-Love

Go to an animal doctor and make sure you don't have hip dysplasia. Sorry...I'm not much of a helper.
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Imminent Catastrophe

Go to an animal doctor and make sure you don't have hip dysplasia. Sorry...I'm not much of a helper.
              Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Along for the Ride

Go see a real doc. Get an exam AND an ultrasound to make sure you don't have a blood clot.
                That was my thought. I am not a doctor, but a nurse Big grin Side note: I am not sure how this would have something to do with leg-length? And I am tainted and don't really believe in chiropractors either ... Last year I fought with temporary different leg length as a direct result of the back injury. According to the physical therapist, the psoas muscle needed stretching and the core needed strengthening. That took care of it. I do believe in physical therapists! Big grin

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If you are out of alignment, this is likely your sacroiliac joint, but this would cause a leg length problem rather than a calf length problem. One time SI joint adjustment is okay, but be wary of somebody prescribing weekly adjustments forever on...
                  RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

If it is a blood clot then what would they do to fix it?
                      2011 Goals:
                    RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I had no idea a vet could help me. I will call my vet and set up an appointment for my dog and get my calf looked at as well. Evil grin
                        2011 Goals:
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If it is a blood clot then what would they do to fix it?
                        You would likely be put on a blood thinner and your body would fix it for you. If it is a blood clot and it goes untreated, it can kill you. Fast.

Along for the Ride

If you are out of alignment, this is likely your sacroiliac joint, but this would cause a leg length problem rather than a calf length problem. One time SI joint adjustment is okay, but be wary of somebody prescribing weekly adjustments forever on...
                          * Hijacks thread* Trent, what causes a dysfunctional SI joint? Was it dysfunctional before I hurt my back? Or was it caused directly by the injury? In other words - who was there first, the egg or the hen? I never had any issues, back pain or problems. Worked as an OR nurse for 14 years. Body mechanics when lifting not so great ... Then I lifted an anesthetized,off-the-bed-sliding 250lb lady in a jerky, heroic motion and felt a weird pop. The MRI confirmed a L4/L5 annular tear and small disc herniation. My PT also noted the dysfunctional SI joint. I am assuming the psoas muscle pulled me out of alignment because my SI joint was/is instable? The psoas was either injured too or was trying to brace something in my back by shortening? She taught me a series of exercises/moves to "realign myself" if needed. Which causes a slight pop in the symphisis area and then all the aches and grinding sensations that came with the misalignment were gone. She focused heavily on strengthening and stretching.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Trent: After reading up on this I do feel like it is a blood clot. Can you buy over the counter blood thinners? If for some reason it is not a blood clot is their a bad side affect to taking one? Will I be able to run while taking the blood thinner. I am guessing this is a pill right?
                              2011 Goals:
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Bearcat - The answer is NO. This is NOT something to mess around with. A blood clot can kill you FAST. The blood thinners are as dangerous as they are important and usually require very close monitoring, and often require a hospitalization to initiate. If you think you have a blood clot, you need to get it checked out immediately. They will not put you on a long-term blood thinner unless they have demonstrated that you have a blood clot through testing. RunnerGabe - SI joints go out of alignment for loads of reasons, including running, twisting, childbirth, etc. An unaligned SI joint can be irritated and cause pain and inflammation. Realignment can help.
                              Wingz

Professional Noob

Bearcat - I've worked as a tech in an emergency room and am currently in nursing school. From everything I've read and seen, a blood clot in your leg is serioius because: -it's like a plug that's floating around in your circulatory system. -if that plug breaks loose, it has to go somewhere. -one of its favorite places to go is your lungs... they call this a pulmonary embolism. -it can also go to your heart... they call this a heart attack. -or your brain... they call this a stroke. Any of the three are really bad news. They can keep you from running. Ever again. Because you're dead. Please listen to Trent and go get this checked out NOW. It's not something you fix by yourself. -Janell

Roads were made for journeys...