Elliptical, Stairstepper on Non-running Days (Read 3701 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... Swimming also a good cardio crosstrain ... but I can't swim worth anything and start to flail around after about 100 M.

Then surely you burn more calories per minute swimming than any decent swimmer, right?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

I am recovering from injury and currently using elliptical and bicycle.  However when running I found elliptical was good as crosstrainer alternative especially on down days.  Also found that stairclimber/stairmasters improved my speed/endurance for running hills.  Not an endorsement just personal experience.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Old, Slow, Happy

I know that Jeff Galloway advises against doing the Elliptical or Stair Master on cross-training days. Does anyone agree? Disagree? (Why?)Confused

I agree that the Ellipical or Stair Master are not appropriate for cross-training.  My PT advised me that the body moves in three different ways.  Frontwards/backwards,  Side to Side, Twisting  His take on cross-training is that the movements should be in one of the other body actions (other than Front/Back) on cross-trianing days.  Both the elliptical and the stair master are front to back actions.  So is bicycling.  I do a series of core-strength excerises on cross-training days.

I am one of those rare people for whom the elliptical is harder on the knees than running.  This being said, with all the running that runners do, I vote for high-rep upper body strengthening for cross-training efforts. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I agree that the Ellipical or Stair Master are not appropriate for cross-training.  My PT advised me that the body moves in three different ways.  Frontwards/backwards,  Side to Side, Twisting  His take on cross-training is that the movements should be in one of the other body actions (other than Front/Back) on cross-trianing days.  Both the elliptical and the stair master are front to back actions.  So is bicycling.  I do a series of core-strength excerises on cross-training days.

I'm not an advocate of the FIRST program but for their XT days, they specifically say to do a non-weight bearing exercise.  Things like biking/spinning, swimming, or rowing would be good. 

I prefer to run slow(er) for my XT days, and I throw in a few strides just to mix it up.