The Shoe Mileage Debate (Read 1424 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, but at least I'm not a bike whore! I could still buy MANY pairs of shoes to = his bike. And he's a bike jersey whore...those things are really $$, too (not to mention the tires he keeps blowing and various lubs, chains, cleaners, tools, etc.). He hasn't a leg to stand on when it comes to criticizing the $ I spend on my sport... Big grin Muwahahaha...I have such power! k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ok, so I'm jealous. My hubby doesn't spend money. I write out the bills, I do the clothes shopping, the grocery shopping, everything. He buys a bottle of whiskey on occasion. I just play the "I'm a former career woman turned housewife and running is the only thing that brings me joy, so I NEED to stay well equipped" card. Usually works when combined with tears & maybe a little sobbing thrown in for effect... Cry Manipulation, what's that you say??? Evil grin
      So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Tears are a great tool, too...not that I've ever done that (BTW, did I tell you my kid can cry on demand, too?)... Wink Dan needs a $$ hobby, stat! Just think of all the shoes you could whore, then! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

I know, we gave up roping cause we didn't have the money...then I took up running & he just stayed on the money saving plan. Damn Amish boys...
          So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Damn...that blows. You need to get him running more, too. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

Ha, but at least I'm not a bike whore! I could still buy MANY pairs of shoes to = his bike. And he's a bike jersey whore...those things are really $$, too (not to mention the tires he keeps blowing and various lubs, chains, cleaners, tools, etc.). He hasn't a leg to stand on when it comes to criticizing the $ I spend on my sport... Big grin Muwahahaha...I have such power! k
              Trent stole my Phidippides line! Heck, if he'd been retiring shoes properly, a marathon might be 50 miles now (excluding London Olympics adjustments, of course)! So, it's come to name callin'....what next? ...hasn't a leg to stand on??? OMG, I'm sooooo sorry, what was it, a deer hunting accident? Couldn't they have saved the leg? Does he get half off his shoes??? Man, temps in the teens and snow/ice really get me all weirded out! Get about 600 on my trail shoes, less than half that on my roadies...but the roadies take a lot longer to get to 250 than the trailers do to get to 600 Surprised Confused Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

gimme some sugar, baby

Depends on a number of factors: 1. What shoe you have. Nikes tend to wear out quicker than others I've found. 2. How you run. Some people run in ways that wear out the shoes quicker than others. 3. What kind of body you have. Some people can handle broken down shoes better than others. I usually run on my shoes until they start bothering my shins from being too broken down and then I switch. For me that comes between 400-550 miles. I usually run around 50-60 mpw, so it's pretty expensive, but I always watch for the 30% off deals on eastbay and buy the old versions of the asics 2xxx series which only ends up costing me $40-$50 per shoe which isn't terrible. Wow that was a long sentence. My girlfriend can somehow get away with 800-1000 miles on a pair of shoes... now that is crazy. I also had a friend who was really into the minimalist training stuff and he would put 1500 miles on a pair of flats before replacing them... that's crazy too.
                George: Runner/Law Student
                www.gimme-five.com
                  If you use ski-boot dryers to dry your shoes, would that help them last longer??? (The ones I have are heaters that are about the size of magic markers and dry the boots out in a few hours without melting them - so much better than hairdryers every afternoon!)
                  JakeKnight

My girlfriend can somehow get away with 800-1000 miles on a pair of shoes... now that is crazy. I also had a friend who was really into the minimalist training stuff and he would put 1500 miles on a pair of flats before replacing them... that's crazy too.
                    How much did they run? Did they suffer injuries? Any ill effects? Were they just freaks with resilient legs?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

mikeymike

Speaking of flats I've found racing flats basically never wear out. I used to train quite a bit in flats and I think because their is so little to them to begin with, there really isn't anything to wear out. The more cushy the shoe, the faster they break down, in my experience.

Runners run

Finished!

And I'm thinking that short stride = more steps = faster shoe wear, perhaps? I have a pathetically short stride (short legs, too), so I'm assuming I make a lot more foot plants/mile than someone with longer legs and a longer stride. I'm not particularly light on my feet, either...no delicate, feminine flower, here.
                        And here I thought I was the only one with this problem. It doesnt help I'm trying to shake about 30 lbs. (that's the stretch stretch target...and shake as in ditch it - I don't want it jiggling on *me* anymore.) LOL
                        Walk + Jog = wog.
                        I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                        I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep, I'm sitting around 140-145 and would like to be down to 120, so I hear that. It will be interesting to see if I might get more mileage out of shoes if I weight a bit less. I would think so. k

~ Sarah Kay

I'm sure your gait and several other factors play a part here. Those of us who are lucky enough to have a neutral foot probably get more miles out of a pair of shoes than someone who is a wicked pronator. And I'm sure weight makes a big difference too. And your injury history probably makes a difference. I dunno. quote> I would say you are absolutely correct. As a 'wicked pronator', I change shoes between 350-400 miles. This from an empirical study of one runner over a lot of years/miles. Beyond that distance, for me, the shoes have broken down to the point that I begin to feel the effects in my feet and knees. Psychosomatic? Maybe. But I'm not willing to risk injury to find out. And, there is some debate as to whether Phidippides really died at the end of his run. I tend to think he just hit the wall--which a lot of runners do at about mile 21--really hard.
                            My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

gimme some sugar, baby

How much did they run? Did they suffer injuries? Any ill effects? Were they just freaks with resilient legs?
                              My friend runs ~70mpw with no major injuries... he was awfully fragile until he switched to flats... now he doesn't seem to get hurt at all minus the occasional rolled ankle
                              George: Runner/Law Student
                              www.gimme-five.com
                              vicentefrijole

The distance from the Marathon Plains to the Parthenon is 21 miles. Somewhere along the way (London Olympics, to be precise), the distance got extended.
                                The way I figure it, maybe Phidippides got a little lost on the way and ran in circles for around 5.2 miles before asking for directions... I know I have... and did he wear shoes or sandles?