Pets as presents (Read 650 times)

A friendly reminder from your neighborhood animal-lover-owner-of-four-cats-maryland spca-volunteer: Please remember that pets are living, breathing creatures that need a great deal of love, attention, time, and often, money. Puppies and kittens are adorable but they are 10-20 year time commitment. Vet bills and food get expensive. Puppies have to be housebroken. Kittens have to be taught not to scratch furniture. If you are considering adding a family member, please please please check your local shelter or humane society. Set on a purebred? Check out rescue groups --- there is at least one for every breed. We see a lot of pets at our shelter after the holidays because, while puppies look cute in a red bow, they don't look so cute when they are peeing on the rug. Remember that adding a dog or a cat is like adding a baby ... please take the responsibility seriously! Smile
    2009: BQ?

Dog-Love

amen...one of my Xmas presents from 18 years ago keeps me up howling and I still love him (grey striped kitty named Spud). He was such a cute kitten but I know I have spent well over $2000.00 on him (hit by car, poisoned, fell off a roof...abcess...)
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

amen...one of my Xmas presents from 18 years ago keeps me up howling and I still love him (grey striped kitty named Spud). He was such a cute kitten but I know I have spent well over $2000.00 on him (hit by car, poisoned, fell off a roof...abcess...)
        Only $2000 in 18 years? Wow. That's impressive, especially with that list of issues. I'd have guessed it was quite a bit more than that.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

The voice of mile 18

5 lives to go!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Imminent Catastrophe

You're absolutely right. Mary Ann is a screener for prospective owners from Doberman Rescue. Dobes are particularly prone to abuse because, like other breeds with a "reputation" for aggressiveness, they are often abused in an attempt to make them mean when that is not in their nature. She interviewed a man who wanted to give a Dobe to his partner as a gift, but steadfastly refused to let the partner meet the dog prior to the adoption because it was supposed to be a "surprise". Mary Ann rejected the application and I think it was the right decision. Even animals that need a home shouldn't be adopted carelessly. A pet is a serious, life-long commitment.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

t_runner

Amen to this! Good post Trishie. Sad how often this happens still though. We are in the process of adopting a dog, but no surprise or gift involved! We've been planning for a second dog since September and finally found a sweet girl who seems like she will get along well with our current dog (and she looks like a good runner also!). She's in a program where she stays with some inmates in a prison, and they work with a dog trainer, and she graduates Jan 10th (Can't wait!!) Lilly Once you begin to see how many pets are in rescue groups, shelters & human societies, it is sad and shocking that some people still run to the mall pet shop to bring home a puppy for Christmas.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Once you begin to see how many pets are in rescue groups, shelters & human societies, it is sad and shocking that some people still run to the mall pet shop to bring home a puppy for Christmas.
                As well as wandering the streets. Of the 5 cats we've had in the past 14+ years 3 were strays, one was a humane society kitten and one an offspring of a former roommate's cat. Just this Summer we took in a little gray beast who was only ~14 weeks, and riddled with fleas and worms. Now he's a spoiled brat that has probably doubled in weight (and cattitude). I can't imagine ever buying a pet. Ours seem to find us (we apparently have "sucker" stamped on our foreheads in an invisible language that only cats can see and read) and so far we've had all very sweet, friendly furbabies. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Remember, A pet is not just for Christmas. Its for Life.
                  Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.
                  Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

...and, a pet isn't a thing...it is a living, breathing being.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Remember, A pet is not just for Christmas. Its for Life.
                      or for supper... Big grin

Vim

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?