Neck problem while running (Read 144 times)

lilbitch91

Hello I've lost about 15-20kg since december by walking, eating well, drinking well etc. Recently I tried to start running. My current weight is 82kg on 176 cm. When I start running, every step, especially running down a hill, I get some kind of "dodgy" feeling in my neck and head. It's like my whole vision is dodging up and down because the pressure on the neck when I set my feet to the ground. When running upwards a hill, I don't feel this. But running on flat, and down hill this happens. After running I get a stiff neck, but that goes away rather fast. My neck does not hurt when I run. Just this dodgy feeling. I wonder if this is dangerous for my neck, vision etc. I haven't run in ages so I don't know if this is normal. What can I do about it? I try to run on soft ground, maybe I need new shoes. Read more: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=7264184#ixzz47mBxq5WI

Joann Y

I'm not sure about your neck but I wonder, do you wear glasses when you run?

Listen bitch,  the dodgy feeling you get, is it ALL the time while running, only the first few minnits, does it eventually go away while running down hill? Did you, or do you have a nerve issue in your neck? Did you just start running, Lots of damn questions, are you single? Like my girl Joann Y axed, Do you wear glasses while running? If so, get a lanyard thingy and make sure it's tight so your eyewear doesn't bounce on the bridge of your nose. If you just started running, the stiff neck and shoulders will go away EVENTUALLY. Shoes might be the answer, I doubt it though.

is this "dodgy" or "bouncy" feeling happen at other times or just while running?    if you feel this at other times you may want to go see a neurologist.   seriously.    it may not be a serious issue but better to be safe & have it checked out.

Devid_74

A link to a specific provider is highly unlikely to be the same area where the OP resides. And...link spam and all...

Those guys look like used car salesmen in that ad. Be careful at the chiropractor, I know a chick that had spinal fusion because of her friend, a chiropractor. Perhaps she was lil' heavy handed, or my friend is a delicate flower, who knows, either way her back is throttled and can barely move.

Avoid running downhills.

The Running Stan

I wonder if you are tensing up your upper body as you run.

Every part of your body should relax as you run.  Don't hunch your back & shoulders and don't allow them to ride up.  Allow your arms to hang and freely swing with elbows bent at 90 degrees.  Your head should be up and looking forward about 50-100 yards ahead of you. Close your fingers but keep an open fist.  (Imagine running and carrying a raw egg in each hand without breaking them.)

The Running Stan

Ooops.  This was from a month ago.  I hope they got it all figured out.

BimBamBooh

I am very sure that you have very bad running technique