Knee Pain (Read 51 times)

Lily2

I just started running about a week ago. I was walking about a mile then jogging .5 miles because I haven't been exercising very much lately. I did that for about 5 days before my knee was hurting. I wasn't able to walk more than a few steps or bend my knees very much. I have been putting ice on it and resting for the last 3 days. It doesn't hurt as bad but it's enough that I can't even walk my dog. I start working at a summer camp on Monday (it's Saturday) which involves a lot of running and being able to bend my knees a lot. What can I do to heal my knee faster?

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Don't run on it if it's bad enough you can't walk on it. Rest and icing is good. If it's still swollen after three days, you might want to actually get it checked by a doctor.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

SMART Approach

You likely overstressed it. When starting a running program like this you need to start every other day and small running spurts to let body adapt to the pounding and stresses of running. As long as no structural damage it should get better within 10 days. I would not ice it but try to move it while seated as much as possible or take many shorter walks. Movement and circulation and lymphatic activation will get the tightness and swelling out and coax along the healing response. If not making significant progress by day 7 get it checked out.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Lily2

Okay, thanks. I'm able to walk now and for the last two days I have been walking 1-2 miles a day like I usually do. I can bend my knee a lot more now but it still hurts if I bend it too much. I will try what you suggested.

OlgaBelivskaia

link spam