Brooks Axiom 2, anyone? (Read 464 times)

Beware, batbear...

I'm about to invest in a new pair of shoes and I'm wondering if anyone's had bad luck with the Brooks Axiom 2. I had a pair of Brooks Cascadias (when I was doing more trail work a few years ago) and I loved them. The Axiom is a different beast, but I loved both pair of Brooks shoes I've had so far. Feedback?

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

I ran in the Axiom's and Axiom II's and liked them both. The II was a nice improvement over the initial version, with better materials making for a slightly softer ride. I did find that the Axiom's (I and II) gave me some problems on longer runs 13+ miles, so I mostly used them for shorter stuff. I eventually transitioned to a neutral shoe, so I haven't worn the Axiom in a while. One word of caution, the Axiom II debuted back in 2006. Brooks is currently selling the Axiom III. Any Axiom II's you buy now could be some pretty old stock. That doesn't necessarily mean horrible things, but caveat emptor nonetheless.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Menace to Sobriety

I've got a pair of Ax IIs and like them. I do most of my miles in Adrenalines, but like the Axioms for racing. They're a little lighter and more flexible, but still give me enough stability. I've run up to 11 miles in them with no problems.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Beware, batbear...

I guess I should be more specific about what I'm looking for. I want a shoe that I can wear as I'm bumping up mileage from the 6-7 mile range to the 10-12 mile range...suggestions?

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

I'm not an expert in the Brooks line, especially their guidance/support series, but it looks like the Infiniti or the Adrenaline would be the next step up from the Axiom. I know the Adrenaline is a much-loved shoe, and I swear by the neutral version of this shoe (Defyance). I don't know anything about the Infiniti other than that its the next shoe up in the Brooks "guidance" series after the Axiom.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.