Google Plus (Read 1800 times)

xor

You cannot actually delete your Facebook account.  They archive all your stuff.

Yes.  Which is kind of true about lots of ye olden internet.

I like going into archive.org ("The Internet Time Machine", "The Wayback Machine") and finding old stuff I worked on.  Or going into archives of usenet and finding stuff I posted in 1988.

I was smarter in 1988.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I was smarter in 1988.

But now you're wiser.

Ostrich runner

That list seems off to me. BoA should be way higher and Chase is pretty good. Monsanto and McDonalds aren't even on there...

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

MrH

ifwe were truly customers it would not go that way)

Facebook users are not customers. They are the product that is being sold.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

xor

Right.  That's what I meant by saying "we are not customers, we are a commodity"

Troy.

So far, meh.

A social network is kinda useless when nobody you know is using it.

Many are useless anyway.

Agreed.

Facebook is interesting only because so many people use it.

G+ looks like a good interface, but there's no content because the number of users is so limited right now.

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Can't test it if there is nothing with which to test it.

bhearn

Question is, are they throttling it to generate interest, or because there are real technical problems? It's been long enough, I suspect the latter. I wonder whether its architecture is inherently scalable enough. An alternative, I guess, is that they just want a decent test group to iron out the interface and features. But it seems to be true that everybody who's on it is complaining that it's useless without a lot more people.

Facebook is making money off people.  I don't see a problem.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Question is, are they throttling it to generate interest, or because there are real technical problems? It's been long enough, I suspect the latter. I wonder whether its architecture is inherently scalable enough. An alternative, I guess, is that they just want a decent test group to iron out the interface and features. But it seems to be true that everybody who's on it is complaining that it's useless without a lot more people.

The hubby and I were talking about it and his guess is that they roll out these tests of new offerings in small batches because they're not dedicating a lot of server space to these things until they know for sure that they will be successful.  But I personally couldn't get into Wave in large part because so few of my friends had access...and I lost interest (plus Wave was just a headache and didn't play nice with my old computer...by the time I upgraded to a newer machine no one was on Wave, anymore).  I got on Buzz early, but there were even fewer people on that.

Google needs to get away from the invite thing or change it so that more people can take advantage of beta testing earlier.  Perhaps let limited people in via an official invite from Google, but let THOSE people invite maybe 10-20 friends, each.  That would control the # of users, but still let people test it with an actual audience of friends.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

bhearn

This type of rollout worked quite well for Gmail. Thing is, Gmail is useful even if everybody else doesn't have Gmail.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This type of rollout worked quite well for Gmail. Thing is, Gmail is useful even if everybody else doesn't have Gmail.

Yep...Gmail doesn't require that all other users have Gmail for one to use it.

~ Sarah Kay

xor

How many years was gmail "beta"? 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How many years was gmail "beta"? 

It seemed like a really long time.  And I was nowhere near one of the earliest people with an invite.

~ Sarah Kay

Believe

Just because I'm bored, here's the list.  Top 19 (19?!?) most hated companies.

19.  Bank of America (haha, considering the credit card thread)

18. Dish Network

17. Cox Communications

16. PG+E

15. JPMorgan Chase (another company which recently lost my business)

14. AT+T Mobility

13. LA Department of Water and Power (ok, shit, at this point I call into question how the list was generated. Most hated by people in LA I guess)

12. Long Island Power Authority (er... or not)

11. United Health (a company which directly eff'ed me over... bastards)

10. Facebook

9. MySpace  (sold this week for $35 million)

8. American Airlines

7. United Airlines

6. US Airways

5. Charter Communications

4. Comcast

3. Time Warner Cable

2. Delta

1. Pepco  (Potomac Power)

Interesting list.  As much as I hate facebook and make fun of myspace, they really don't belong in this list.

In aggregate, people hate airlines and cable companies.  Only one insurance company, two banks, and random utility things.  Those utilities must be really REALLY bad to make a national list.  From this, I guess Direct TV > Dish.

I can attest to the fact that United Health is the absolutely worst insurance company in the world followed closely by Humana.  Dish is a joke.