Google Plus (Read 1800 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think Google is waiting to win a legal dispute that will allow them to suck the data out of Facebook.

xor

Grind its bones to make his bread.

(it's really our bones though)

Menace to Sobriety

Facebook is ranked the 10th most hated company in the U.S.A., right up there with cable companies and airlines. What do these hated companies share in common?

The biggest thing they share is gazillions of customers, or at least users. That's why they're rated so high, or low as the case may be. I'm sure the title loan folks, rent to own companies, ect, all have a higher percentage of unhappy customers, but because their user base is relatively small, they never make it onto the bad service radar. You simply can't have a lot of unhappy customers unless you first have a lot of customers.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Question is, are they throttling it to generate interest, or because there are real technical problems?

Popular theory is that Google is taking a conservative approach to the rollout to make sure that privacy concerns are met with the default settings and available options.  Remember Google Buzz?  It was Google's prior attempt at dipping their toe in the social networking waters, but they made some major missteps in the initial privacy settings.  And due to the wide-open rollout of Buzz, it got a tremendous amount of negative press.  That pretty much was a Buzz-kill (hehe).

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

xor

Well, that and the fact that Buzz was a strange thing that many folks couldn't make hide-nor-hair out of within x minutes/hours/days and bailed.

xor

The biggest thing they share is gazillions of customers, or at least users. That's why they're rated so high, or low as the case may be. I'm sure the title loan folks, rent to own companies, ect, all have a higher percentage of unhappy customers, but because their user base is relatively small, they never make it onto the bad service radar. You simply can't have a lot of unhappy customers unless you first have a lot of customers.

But the other stuff on the list contains some very, very regional stuff. I think the size of the overall customer/user base was secondary to the level of dissatisfaction within the base.

There's a bit of a difference between what google want out of google plus and facebook wants out of facebook.

Facebook has to sell advertising through facebook.

Google's main income come from the search side of the business - things like google plus don't need to show a profit as long as they can be used to shore up the search business. Google runs quite a few things that probably don't make a profit of themselves, but they all contribute to keeping the google search engine as the market leader.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm in!  And so far I'm really impressed.  I like that a person can specify which groups of people see which status updates, photos, links, etc. on an individual basis.  So if I have a photo or status update that I don't want my MIL to see, then I don't select her circle.  There are already a handful of people in mine and DH's friends who are in, so we're getting to see how it works, unlike Wave (and I never really played with Buzz).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm in!  And so far I'm really impressed. 

Found ya.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Found ya.

*waves*

What do you think?  My first impression is pretty positive.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is too barren so far to be able to judge.  I'd like to see more people, links to my youtube videos, my blogs and other google apps I use.  right now it kinda just links to picassa and buzz, which are fairly sparse.  And there aint nobody using it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've got at least a half-dozen friends using it, but I'll like to see it once I have 20 or more friends on.  Photos seem to be displaying well.  I haven't tried uploading video, yet.  I tried to sync some photos from my phone...that's not working so well, but probably because I really need to clean a LOT of photos off.  It's trying to wade through them all.

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Maybe google will go after twitter next and call it glitter.

That would be more fun than "google +".

Imminent Catastrophe

Still not one of the chosen ones to try it out. I'm crushed. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Maybe google will go after twitter next and call it glitter.

That would be more fun than "google +".

Too Mariah.

~ Sarah Kay