watering dog when running with her (Read 730 times)

Dutchie42

I've been running with my dog Spooky and she can come with me for all of my marathon training. So the vet says. Spooky is a bouvierXlabrador, 2,5 years old. Last Summer Spooky joined me in my training for a 30K race. My boys (15 and 17yo) came along on their bikes with big bottles of water to make sure Spooky was well hydrated and carrying my bananas, gels and water. Now that I'm hitting high mileage for my marathon training, my boys are rebelling about coming along on my long runs. We've had a pretty dry Winter, so there isn't a lot of water around at the moment. Now I distinctly remember seeing dog harnesses on the internet last year with water bottles for the dog to carry on either side. I can't find them now and have no idea what they are called. What I do find are dog packs. But I'm worried those will just make Spooky overheat in Summer. And I'm not sure if they are meant for the dog to run with. Chafing comes to mind. Maybe those are just for hiking? Any ideas where I can find those doggie harnesses with bottles?

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Something like this: is available here: http://rockymountaink9.com/dogbackpacks.html
      Dutchie42

YES!!!! Something like that. Thanks!!! Leendert, that's a Dutch name. You're Dutch or Dutch ancestry?

Dutchie

Feeling the growl again

I'd be very cautious about running too far if your summers are remotely warm. Dogs were not built for long distance running in heat. With humans, it's normally ok to run in the heat because as long as we stay hydrated we can sweat the heat off. Dogs don't sweat, so they can be fully hydrated and suffer heat stroke at much lower temperatures.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I never ran my old mutt that far, but when we did go on long runs ( 6 or 7 miles) I would wet her hair down ahead of time, and offer her water if she looked like she needed it. She would let me pour it in her mouth... What a sweetie she was...

- Anya

Humans evolved to run so that we could chase animals so they wouldn't have an opportunity to cool down - eventually, they fall over exhausted and dead from heat stroke which makes for easy huntin'... As for the dogs, I don't have one and when I did we only ran around in the back yard. Some of my training buddies run with their dogs regularly though. One has a vischla, which has gone on runs up to about 17 miles. Another buddy has a mutt that did a 10 miler with us this winter. The puppy seemed to get tired towards the end, but we gave her some water from one of our water bottles and it was like the doggy crack - the puppy had plenty of energy for the rest of the run.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Feeling the growl again

My springer spaniel can run a long ways when he wants. Last fall, after nearly a year of not running regularly with my wife at 11min pace like they used to, she took him out. He made it a mile and a half and she almost had to drag him the last half mile home. He acted like it was killing him. The next day, I went for a run on my grass loop out back and he tore alongside me at sub-7 pace for over 2 miles. Then he'd stop when we looped close to the house, watch until he was sure I wasn't going to turn around, and spring to catch up (still covering the whole distance). He did this for another 4 miles no sweat. But it was relatively cool out both days.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Imminent Catastrophe

I'd be very cautious about running too far if your summers are remotely warm. Dogs were not built for long distance running in heat. With humans, it's normally ok to run in the heat because as long as we stay hydrated we can sweat the heat off. Dogs don't sweat, so they can be fully hydrated and suffer heat stroke at much lower temperatures.
                  Second that. Here in Georgia we cut the dogs way back when it warms up, despite their protests. They will keep up with you and not show their pain until they drop, and by then it may be too late. As it starts warming up, keep a close eye on the poopers after the run. If they lie down and pant heavily, then they probably got pretty hot and you might need to cut them back. They should recover very quickly after a run.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Right now it's 4C here. Should be OK for the dogs. But they do need water, however low the temp is. Plus I run early mornings. Temps will be anywhere between 14-18C in July when we run. They both seemed to handle that just fine in the past. Spooky ran up to a couple of 30K's last Summer. She's checked every 6 months by the vet, who seems to think Spooky can run up to 36K, which would be my longest long run in April for my May marathon. Ofcourse, all with proper training.

Dutchie

YES!!!! Something like that. Thanks!!! Leendert, that's a Dutch name. You're Dutch or Dutch ancestry?
                      Yeah, I'm a 'Dutchie' (as are you?). My family immigrated to Canada when I was 16.
                      Dutchie42

Leendert: Yes I'm Dutch and still living in Holland Wink Canada must be a great place to live. Any plans for going back to Holland? Thanks for the site. Unfortunately, the site won't accept my credit card Confused Have no problems with other sites. I emailed them Monday but no response yet. If anyone knows of any other sites that sell that type of harness / pack for water bottles, please let me know.

Dutchie