How much does it cost you to run? (Read 1418 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Wow! Running is expensive. Good thing you're a doctor Big grin
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Interesting article...can I have your autograph, Mr. Rosenbloom!? Big grin Cycling is definitely the same way. For years we have gotten the Performance Bike and Nashbar catalogs. I've seen a gradual shift in what they carry and the prices from quite basic to pretty specialty. But most of these things are about comfort and making life easier, like the GPS units. It's much simpler/faster to have a GPS device to track routes, mileage, and pace--particularly at higher miles. Running's definitely not cheap, but a person can save money in some areas. I rarely will spend full price on the clothing end (I'll make an exception on the skirts, since sales are rare) and have found some good items at places like Sierra Trading Post and Campmor. I've not had luck with less expensive shoes, unfortunately--seems that the ones with the perfect amt. of stability are also the "stability +" or "cushioned stability" models, which are always more $$ due to the combo of stability and high cushioning. I'd love to be able to get by with $80-90 shoes, but I'd rather run comfortably and avoid injury. I've found Google Product searches to be wonderful when I am looking for a specific item...great way to find something significantly cheaper than suggested retail. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Interesting article, thanks for sharing Trent. I think the only thing you really NEED is a good pair of shoes. ... but then it's so easy to justify running clothes (who runs in cotton now?) ... and if you're going to have good shoes, then you should get good socks (at $10 a pair), and, well, those Garmins are so cool. Race entry fees? Can't really get away from them, although I stopped running $30 5Ks. Travel does add a lot, though, for the marathons and the HMs. What I figure, though: running, yes, is expensive. But it's better to have this habit than, say, a drug habit or a smoking habit. $110 for a pair of shoes is pricey, but how much does a smoker spend on ciggs for the same amount of time? $40 for a pair of shorts is a lot of cash, but it keeps me from gaining weight, spending money on doctor's visits for obesity, etc.
        2009: BQ?
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Race entry fees? Can't really get away from them, although I stopped running $30 5Ks. Travel does add a lot, though.
          Yeah, I'm kinda done with 5ks for that reason, in part. Also I suck at them and it seems a lot to spend for 30 minutes of excitement...very anticlimactic. I'm much better at the longer events with my turtle-ness. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Yeah, I'm kinda done with 5ks for that reason, in part. Also I suck at them and it seems a lot to spend for 30 minutes of excitement...very anticlimactic. I'm much better at the longer events with my turtle-ness. Big grin k
            Exactly!! I HATE running 5Ks ... I'm slow and they're painful. Give me a 10 miler, HM, or marathon over a 5K anyday!
            2009: BQ?
              Let's see.... I the past 12 months I've spent $357 on 5 pairs of shoes and got one for free. Thanks to RunningAhead that was easy to calculate. I bought 2 pairs of shorts, lets say $30 each = $60. I bought about 5 pair of socks, say $25. I bought a vest, a couple t-shirts, a $12 singlet and a few other nicknacks and may have contributed to my favorite running site a couple times. = $180. Out of character, I bought a GPS watch = $186. I spent $150 on race entry fees. So that's $958. And in those 12 months I ran 2,600 miles. Running is cheap.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Any running-related travel? The article does not mention the costs of coaching and medical care related to running. A friend of mine is trying to go sub-20 5k. He has spent 12 months in coaching ($600 total) and still needs to drop a few seconds. Most of my costs are related to travel and shoes.
                  The only running related travel I had was our weekend trip to the Mt. Washington Valley, but that was way more about a family weekend away and the whole Storyland thing than it was about running. That's generally an annual trip anyway, running or no. If it were just for running I would have gone up alone on Friday night, crashed at a friend's cabin and driven back Saturday afternoon. Tavel costs are only partly related to running anyway. Most people could find plenty of races near home if it was just about the race but they want to go visit other cities and see new places. It's general tourism with some running thrown in. Nothing wrong with that.

Runners run

Along for the Ride

What I figure, though: running, yes, is expensive. But it's better to have this habit than, say, a drug habit or a smoking habit. $110 for a pair of shoes is pricey, but how much does a smoker spend on ciggs for the same amount of time? $40 for a pair of shorts is a lot of cash, but it keeps me from gaining weight, spending money on doctor's visits for obesity, etc.
                    You hit the nail on the head! The costs you mention are hidden cost and will accumulate later in life if one doesn't run. And you don't really know how bad your health would really be later if you hadn't been active all your life. And imgine all the mental health care costs if running wasn't the outlet and therapist for most of us on here ... Wink

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I really haven't traveled for any races--yet. Everything I've done is within an hour or so of my home. If/when I run the Chicago Marathon I'd likely stay with my brother. I haven't really thought of any destination events beyond that. Though if I get into marathons I'd like to consider some travel events. I think it would be way cool to do a marathon in a foreign country as part of a vacation trip, as Mike discussed. k

~ Sarah Kay

Great article, Trent. I view running as pretty equal to other sports in terms of cost. Almost any sport I can think of requires gear of some sort. And then as you progress, you have the clothing costs and eventually entry fees and travel costs related to competition.
                        $110 for a pair of shoes is pricey, but how much does a smoker spend on ciggs for the same amount of time?
                        This is the exact logic I use with my wife when buying new shoes, gear, etc. Smoking cost me an absolute minimum of $100 per month. With the new tax it would easily be $130-$140 per month now. My running addiction has also reduced the amount of fast food that I eat - but I think any savings had there are poured into much healthier choices at the grocery store.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

va

You hit the nail on the head! The costs you mention are hidden cost and will accumulate later in life if one doesn't run. And you don't really know how bad your health would really be later if you hadn't been active all your life. And imgine all the mental health care costs if running wasn't the outlet and therapist for most of us on here ... Wink
                          I agree! How much does it cost you to sit on your a**?
                          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Nicely done Trent. Next time, try to slip Runningahead.com in there somehow. Wink The cost of running is minimal when compared to any number of less useful activities I could spend my money on, and the rewards (health, mental, etc.) outweigh the expenditure by a longshot. Plus, it helps if you can get someone else to buy your Garmin for you. Clowning around In a similar vein, I came across this article yesterday when I was searching for an appropriate picture of a Garmin 305 to be my new avatar (don't even go there, Scout). It states the following:
                            You think Golf's a Rich People Thing? I have news for you. Triathlon is the most expensive sport you can find. Maybe after Yachting. And Formula One. And... well... Golf. But it's still very expensive!
                            I can definitely see triathlon being expensive, especially if you geek out over every facet of each event the way they did in this article. Zoomie, I swear they must have interviewed Did for the bike section of this article, because it all looks like stuff I've seen him post (i.e. can't lift your current bike due to your hernia? Well, spend $12,000 on this carbon frame that weighs only 785 grams).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

It's true. I live in one of the crappiest houses in a well-heeled neighborhood. Many of my neighbors are older, richer and have more time on their hands than me. Naturally, they're all into triathlons now. Many of them own bikes that cost more than my car even though they average 20 lbs overweight and I could beat most of them on a road course riding my mountain bike, and they also own more running gear than I do despite running 1/3 as many miles. Not to mention their Y memberships so they can swim. Heart rate monitors, hydration kits, special food, indoor trainers/treadmills. Their bike shoes cost as much as 6 months worth of my running shoes. You want to spend some money for the sake of spending money? Get into triathlons.

Runners run