How much does it cost you to run? (Read 1418 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I can definitely see triathlon being expensive, especially if you geek out over every facet of each event the way they did in this article. Zoomie, I swear they must have interviewed Did for the bike section of this article, because it all looks like stuff I've seen him post (i.e. can't lift your current bike due to your hernia? Well, spend $12,000 on this carbon frame that weighs only 785 grams).
    Yeah...I know did wants me to get into road biking with him, especially once the didlet is old enough for his own road bike (I think Trek makes some junior models of some of their standard road models). But really, did would be smart to not encourage that venture...running skirts and shoes might not be cheap, but cycling stuff is on a whole 'nother level above running gear in price. Saddles, shoes, chamois shorts, jerseys, tubes, tires, bike maintenance tools and chemicals, etc. All of those things cost more than running gear. The only advantage is that the shoes don't wear out nearly so fast--but ask did how many tires he blows in a year. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

With the new tax it would easily be $130-$140 per month now.
      You definitely weren't rolling your own, were you? Have any of you used the Couch Surfing website? It's one one to cut down on rooming costs. I've stayed with strangers before, but never used this site. modal

Vim

No, I just met up with Jeff and Did at the Bong Recreation Area. Oh, the cigs! No, I let the Marlboro man do the rolling. Besides it's unhealthy to smoke those things with no filters.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Oh, the cigs! No, I let the Marlboro man do the rolling. Besides it's unhealthy to smoke those things with no filters.
          Nah. It's the filter that'd messes your health up.

Vim

Nah. It's the filter that'd messes your health up.
            LOL - So you think I should start smoking again if I stick to the filterless kind?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Hmm, what I spend in a year: Figure $60 for tubes (10 @ $6 apiece), though that's more than I've ever used in a year. I'm trying to patch old ones now ($4 for a kit of 6 patches). $100 for new tires (I can usually get them for less that that, though) $40 for a new chain (might need two - 2k miles and they should be replaced) Maybe $250 for clothes, but that's majorly generous. Should get two years out of a pair of shorts, and jerseys last forever. Good bibshorts ain't cheap, but they're worth it. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess allowing $300 a year for non-annual part replacement would do, even for a top-end-equipped bike ridden roughly 2500 miles a year. Gear cluster is $200 or so, new chainring set is $150, but if you replace your chain regularly they'll last longer - say 8-10k miles. Things like shifters, I really don't know how long they'll last. With maintenance, a long, long time, though. A bike frame should dang near last forever, unless it's an ultralight aluminum bike with fatigue issues or if you race hard (or crash hard). I know a guy on a carbon Trek 5200 with over 30k miles on his bike. Food, figure $1 for every 30 miles. Riding under 2 hours, I don't need to eat, but longer rides I put down a Clif bar every 20 miles or so. I don't actually think it's as expensive it might seem. Certainly if you jones for a new bike every few years, that'll run up the money pretty fast, but if you get the right bike first, it should last a long, long time. did

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

So biking looks like ~$1k/year after the initial investment of the bike itself. Not as bad as I thought. BTW Did, when's the big Montana ride?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

PWL

Has been

I've always wanted to be part of a "demographically affluent and well-educated group" of people. I feel richer and smarter already! Big grin

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

db7

I asked the guy at the bike store just the other day what it would cost me to get an "average priced bike". After he finished explaining to me that an "average" bike was 1K, I decided to just keep running. I've spent about $300 on running gear in the last year and most of that will last me quite some time. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I will likely get an "average" bike this summer. I plan to start biking to work (7 miles, 1/4 gallon of gas saved each way). With current gas prices, I should have the bike paid off in no time Wink
                        triathlon is very expensive indeed. in fact i think ironman is probably the most expensive thing i ever did. just the food bills were astonishing!
                          I'd like to reverse it a bit, how much would YOU PAY in order to run? 5 months ago, I've had an operation on my ankle, which has allowed me to run again. The op wasn't necessary for me to walk, only to run. And since I went private, my medical aid only covered a portion, so I had to pay in the equivalent of about $1500. That's effectively what it cost me to able to run again, a small price to pay I think. What you would pay?

Marathon runners suffer the agony of da feet

Seriously, I don't even think about it. Sure I look for deals when I can, but the benefits of running outweigh the costs. What else are you going to do with your money? If you can't enjoy at least some of it what's the point? Andsmit - I see you're training for the Comrades. I read an article about that in Runner's World recently by Amby Barfoot (past Boston Marathon winner). That's hardcore, dude. Good luck.

shonan marathon, girl

Ocean swimming is probably the cheapest sport - all you need is a suit and a pair of goggles. The next cheapest is running - all you really need is a pair of shoes. Smart people run for their exercise. I agree that triathlons and all the equipment is expensive, but you don't need top of the line designer items. Ironman racing is the most expensive sport. All my friends doing Ironmans are down to earth people who aren't filthy rich. Buy what you can afford, not so that you can impress. This is one reason why I quit the gym. All these women parading at the gym like it's a fashion show and social function with their newest gear. I would spend $1,500 for an operation to allow me to continue running. The enjoyment of running is priceless.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And since I went private, my medical aid only covered a portion, so I had to pay in the equivalent of about $1500. That's effectively what it cost me to able to run again, a small price to pay I think. What you would pay?
                                I had breast reduction surgery 3+ years ago (went from a DDD/F to a more reasonable and proportionate D). Our co-pay was $1k. It was worth it. Without that operation there is no way in hell I would have ever contemplated running. Even non-impact activities like yoga and weight-training were difficult (and still required wearing 2 sports bras to achieve any level of control). I was really limited to what weight loss I could do with diet, alone.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay