How much does it cost you to run? (Read 1418 times)

Swadvad

In conclusion, one of the great things about running is its simplicity. If you really wanted to you could get away with spending little to practically nothing on the sport.
    That's why I'm no longer a member of the gym. I would pay for a year at a time to get the cost savings and use it for 3 or 4 months before trailing off. The last 6 months of my membership would be wasted while I sat on my lazy brutt. After about 3 years in a row of this, I finally realized that I was never going to be as consistent as I needed to be, therefore I was wasting money. Also, I've accepted the fact that I'm not a weight lifter, etc. God made me to be more of a runner/biker (bought an average priced bike about 6 years ago). Now I run and bike when I can between painting the house and kid activities. So far this year: $80 running shoes $20 two pair of shorts on the clearance rack $10 two shirts on the clearance rack $12 two pair of socks (only thing I paid full price for) no race fees - my wife and I are in it for the exercise i.e: "use it, or lose it" stage of life. My wife has spent about the same for her shoes, etc. this year. Much cheaper than a gym membership.
    jcasetnl

Interesting article, thanks for sharing Trent. I think the only thing you really NEED is a good pair of shoes. ... but then it's so easy to justify running clothes (who runs in cotton now?) ... and if you're going to have good shoes, then you should get good socks (at $10 a pair), and, well, those Garmins are so cool. Race entry fees? Can't really get away from them, although I stopped running $30 5Ks. Travel does add a lot, though, for the marathons and the HMs. What I figure, though: running, yes, is expensive. But it's better to have this habit than, say, a drug habit or a smoking habit. $110 for a pair of shoes is pricey, but how much does a smoker spend on ciggs for the same amount of time? $40 for a pair of shorts is a lot of cash, but it keeps me from gaining weight, spending money on doctor's visits for obesity, etc.
      Big entry fees suck. If you're motivated enough, you might try to form your own running club. That's basically how DSE and LMJS started (www.dserunners.com and www.lmjs.org). Nowadays they do weekly runs for about $5. Cheaper if you're a member. They are open courses and it's hit or miss whether there will be a bathroom nearby.

Anyone have pizza?

Living in NY is expensive period. I go through at least 2 pairs of sneaks, so figure $200. Races are expensive too. They are usually around $20 a pop, but the NYC Marathon is going to cost me over $100 this year with the bus trip and all, the Half Marathon in NYC (this coming Sunday) cost me $65 buckaroos, and the Long Island Half back in May was about 40 bucks. I also belong to LA Fitness. Great gym, but like Davdaws, I sometimes dont go in a while....And $49 a month can be better used elsewhere.
          Yes, running can be expensive - but it's getting cheaper now that I know the internet sale diva - you know who you are Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yes, running can be expensive - but it's getting cheaper now that I know the internet sale diva - you know who you are Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Tongue Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh...I think they want me to stop stealing their bandwidth, but I think first they want me to have a seizure... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

maybe that was John Roberts' problem...Never pegged him as a bandwidth thief! Tongue
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

maybe that was John Roberts' problem...Never pegged him as a bandwidth thief! Tongue
                    *chokes* Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Carl A

About $50/year I took up running partly because hang gliding seemed too expensive, at least till the chillens get older. Because I run mostly fat-ass style races and buy barely-used shoes from a local online seller that has a generous return policy, most of what I spend goes for gasoline and Gatorade. I'd probably spend more if I had it, but we're still basically a one-income family.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Cost to Run a Half Marathon My CPA is still figuring out how much it costs me to run Tongue Nippleguards are something I have yet to spend money on. Think I should just stick with dark colored shirts.

Vim

Apparently $85 to run a marathon. That is the most I've ever spent on a race. Wow. I better finish. Roll eyes

Michelle

Apparently $85 to run a marathon. That is the most I've ever spent on a race. Wow. I better finish. Roll eyes
                            I told you fee's we're going up as of midnight August 1st. Oh you'll finish, no doubt abou that!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hmmmm...$85? That seems like a lot. Good thing not all marathons are so pricey. I'll bet you get a nice cotton tee shirt to go with that, eh? Good thing some marathons try to give you some great swag for your money. Just sayin.

Why is it sideways?

That dude needs more than a nipple-guard. He needs clippers.