training run type schedule? (Read 74 times)

Curious if most of you out there have a set routine for your runs?

ie.,

Easy Run

Tempo

Easy

Long

Easy

Interval, etc...?

or 2 easy between hard runs? max of 2 hard runs per week?

I'm currently running 3 or 4 days a week, mostly have been going easy-hard-easy-hard...

Thanks for any insight.

300m- 37 sec.

Christirei

IF i am in a good place and nothing hurts and life is going well, then I MIGHT follow something like this:

Easy

Fartlek

Easy mid-week long

Rest day

Tempo

Long

Rest Day

Running Problem

Problem Child

For races I pick a "canned" plan and stick with it. Hanson's had Tuesday speed and Thursday Threshold which later became Tuesday threshold and Thursday GMP (goal marathon pace plus 10 seconds). If I'm not training it's ALL easy running with a number of total miles and probably something in the 10-14 mile range over the weekend. Not much, if any, speed work. All easy, casual paced running based off feel and the weather.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Brad Hudson's book Run Faster has example run-type schedules for a variety of different numbers of runs per week/mpw.  In general you don't want to do two hard days in a row.

I currently do more or less: easy+hill sprints, intervals or tempo, trail run, xt, easy with strides, long, xt (where xt=mountain biking) but will shift things around as needed to accommodate other things in my life.

I used to be able to do both intervals and tempo in a week, but now at age 55 I can't recover enough to do both.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

No set routine but I try to work with a 10-14 day cycle rather than a 7 day weekly cycle. This give me more recovery between quality runs which I find I need as I've gotten older.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

No set routine but I try to work with a 10-14 day cycle rather than a 7 day weekly cycle. This give me more recovery between quality runs which I find I need as I've gotten older.

I think I may be naturally finding myself in this kind of schedule.

I'm going from couch to back to running, it's been slow going, but I've been more consistent lately but running all summer.

Use to be fairly quick, but aches and pains, and recovering seems to be slower than I'd wish for.

I too think a tempo and a interval session for me is too much at this point, plus a long run, so it seems I'm finding myself doing easy runs and going from a long run and then either a tempo or an interval for my other hard run.

37yo btw.

Thanks for the responses, keep 'em coming.

300m- 37 sec.

GinnyinPA

If I'm doing a race, I train using a canned plan. Otherwise I usually just wing it. If I'm home, I run 5 days a week, 30-40 mpw, with most runs between 5-8 miles and a longer one once a week. If I'm on the TM I'll do some speedwork, but usually I just run easy on the street or do an easy trail run. If travelling, I just run whenever I get a chance, but usually less often than when I'm home. I'm currently trying to rebuild my base after 3 months on the road so lots of slow easy miles.

I have no schedule of run types.

Should I?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

300 in 37 is fast

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I run everyday. Monday and Friday are my "rest days" so short and very easy effort. If I'm doing hills/tempo work, that's Wednesdays. I like Thursdays for a mid-distance run (still easy pace). Sunday for long run.  Mostly easy, sometimes hard.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

DukeDB

I think the routine goes hand in hand with a goal.  This year, I'm trying to get back to Boston, am working with a coach, exploring my limits.  Which, right now, seems to be 55 miles a week based on three quality runs (track, tempo, long) and two easy but somewhat lengthy 8-10 milers.  Last year, after five disappointing marathons in a row, I took the year off from that distance and ran easy all the time with no plan until the end of the year, when I built a little base.  Depending on how this fall's racing goes, I might be inclined to try all-easy, fallow years more often.  I'm enjoying the purposefulness of my runs now, but I enjoyed the ease of my runs (and the extra free time, absence of fatigue) then.

BarneyBunch

I run everyday. Monday and Friday are my "rest days" so short and very easy effort. If I'm doing hills/tempo work, that's Wednesdays. I like Thursdays for a mid-distance run (still easy pace). Sunday for long run.  Mostly easy, sometimes hard.

My schedule is somewhat similar. Monday and Friday are my easy run days. Mondays are rough heading back to work after the weekend and looking forward to an easier Friday seems to motivate me throughout the week. Wednesdays are for my long runs. I have a bad habit of not running during the weekend, unless there is a specific race coming up soon.

I think I know what would be "best" for me to decrease race times at my age, but I kind of like to run 6-7 days a week, not 3. I like running, not racing, or the rest and cross training required to race faster as an oldster.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I think the routine goes hand in hand with a goal.  This year, I'm trying to get back to Boston, am working with a coach, exploring my limits.  Which, right now, seems to be 55 miles a week based on three quality runs (track, tempo, long) and two easy but somewhat lengthy 8-10 milers.  Last year, after five disappointing marathons in a row, I took the year off from that distance and ran easy all the time with no plan until the end of the year, when I built a little base.  Depending on how this fall's racing goes, I might be inclined to try all-easy, fallow years more often.  I'm enjoying the purposefulness of my runs now, but I enjoyed the ease of my runs (and the extra free time, absence of fatigue) then.

If the cumulative time on your feet significantly increases, then I think you will improve your marathon time.  No guarantees, but just my opinion.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Back to the OP.....

Easy Run

Tempo

Easy

Long

Easy

Interval, etc...?

Yep, if you can handle this routine, then I think ti's fine.  But as I indicated above, more miles and time on your feet will give you greater rewards than the "types" of runs.  It's pretty much why all the fancy race estimator calculators use weekly miles as the primary variable in predicting your marathon time.  They don't ask or care about tempos, intervals, how many long runs and what distances, etc.

Good luck!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours