Add Hoka as shoe manufacturer? (Read 1235 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Dearest Eric of the running gods.

Please could you add Hoka... not sure of the models, but I have the Hoka One One Mafuta.

eric :)

What's the proper name for the company?  Is it "Hoka" or "Hoka OneOne"?

I browsed through their site and my first impression was their shoes take the extreme opposite of barefoot running.  Their shoes have much more support and encourage heel strike.  Not that I think barefoot running is the cure all of running injuries, I don't think extra cushion is the answer either.

Not that I think barefoot running is the cure all of running injuries, I don't think extra cushion is the answer either.

Unless you're crazy enough to attempt the Leadville 100 of course.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I browsed through their site and my first impression was their shoes take the extreme opposite of barefoot running.  Their shoes have much more support and encourage heel strike.  Not that I think barefoot running is the cure all of running injuries, I don't think extra cushion is the answer either.

Hi Eric. The correct name is "Hoka OneOne". I agree with you. I train barefoot sometimes and minimalist a lot of the time. The Hokas are to try to give my legs an easier ride through Leadville. It might not work. The plan is to try to save the quads on the downhills - where I plan to make up a bit of time! "Train minimal, race maximal". I would not recommend the Hokas for a fast road race - they are not flexible or responsive.... and are a bit unsteady going around corners. Kind of like a car with pimped suspension.

When I first saw these shoes, I was skeptical as well. However, I have a brother that works at Salt Lake Running Co. and he was one of the first testers for this line of shoes and he won't run in anything else now because they allowed him to run 20-30 miles a week more than before without injury.  

They're different because of how much padding they have and it seems excessive.  However, the part most people don't realize is that the shoe has a very small Heel-to-Toe (it's about what most flats have, not sure of the exact number).  That in itself actually promotes a mid-foot strike, instead of heel-striking like you think it would.  

Anyway, that said, I've been running in them for a couple months and think they're awesome shoes.

Also, it is Hoka One One

Also, what Purdey said.