Any vegans out there? (Read 333 times)

I am vegan and love running.  Any other vegans out there with some good vegan running food tips?

Don't carry 10,000 songs in your hand...protect them...

The "stiff" one works best for me...

King of PhotoShop

Great question. I'm not vegan, but my cardiologist advised me he wanted my LDL to go down to under 80 from 100. I tried everything and finally went on Mark Bittman's (NY Times food guy) "VB6" diet. It stands for "Vegan before 6 pm". In other words, your breakfast and lunch are vegan, and you can have meat for dinner.  For me it's a small portion, 4 oz or so of fish or chicken.  My LDL is now 70.  Just Google "VB6" and read his essay.

Michael Pollan said an interesting thing in a recent essay and I'll paraphrase:  "Vegetarians are far healthier than omnivores, but flexitarians are just as healthy as vegetarians."  So while I'm not going totally vegan, I respect those who do.  Good luck to you in your program.

If you're a runner, you have to be careful. Once a week I make an enormous salad of garbanzo beans, edamame, black beans, jalapeno, canned corn, one cuke, some cilantro, two tomatoes, chopped red onion and a mango, with a zesty vinaigrette.  I eat a bowl of this kind of salad with every dinner meal and it's delicious. My kids ask for it all the time.  Spareribs

Thanks, good for you on getting your LDL down.  I am not vegan for any animal loving type reason.  I used to weigh 320 lbs 5-6 years ago and as part of my journey getting down to 175, I "tried" being vegan.  Before this I ate meat at each meal plus snacks.

I tried it for a week and found that I had so much more energy.  I did not ever feel sluggish, and my running and overall fitness improved.  I just decided that it worked for me and have never looked back.  I'm kind of fanatical too, so once I make my mind up to do it, I stick to it and don't cheat.

NHLA

DD is vegan. I try all her dishes and some are OK and some are awful. Vegan chilly cheese fries from Roseta's are the bomb.

Earth Balance  natural buttery spread organic whipped is a great butter substitute. I use it now instead of butter

I wonder if some of the food I think is awful might be better after all the meat is purged from the system.

The book Skinny Bitch is a good reference. She tells you what vegan foods taste good and its funny.

Read Diet for a Diseased Planet .More science than fad.

Hoban-Jay

I am vegan and love running.  Any other vegans out there with some good vegan running food tips?

I'm not, but Scott Jurek is.  He's got a fantastic book out on Ultramarathoning and eating vegan.  (That is, eating vegan foods...not eating vegans!)

Cool, I'll have to check that out

NHLA

I'm not, but Scott Jurek is.  He's got a fantastic book out on Ultramarathoning and eating vegan.  (That is, eating vegan foods...not eating vegans!)

I thought that book was depressing.  Never finished it. Tried several times. I did like the quotes at the start of each chapter and the house of gravity.

Proudfoot

I'm not, but you should check out this site:

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/

Great site.  Thanks so much

Village people

Both DH and I are vegan and runners. We eat a lot of bean dishes. I do need to find some lighter meals for the summer.

I eat a fair amount of lentils and beans, but mainly a huge variety of veggies, fruit, a lot of various grains, including quinoa, amaranth, barley, millet, freekah, faro, etc.

I also eat a lot of tofu, tempeh and make my own seitan.

One dish I like making is boiling rutabaga until soft, adding firm tofu, curry, garlic, cumin, turmeric, garam masala, smoked paprika and nutritional yeast.  It's got a good flavor.

Ah, and almonds - I eat a fair amount of those too, and I also enjoy PB2 - it's a powdered peanut butter, with 85% less fat - good stuff.

Hoban-Jay

I thought that book was depressing.  Never finished it. Tried several times. I did like the quotes at the start of each chapter and the house of gravity.

Depressing !!??  It's inspirational !!!

Mas4

I've been vegan for the last 17 years and running for almost as long. It sounds like you already have the food thing down! I eat lots of whole grains, veggies, beans, seitan and tempeh. Always a big plate of a soba noodle or whole wheat pasta dish the night before a long run or race.

Yeah, it was difficult at first understanding what to eat, but after some study and experimenting it's pretty easy to find food and know what to eat

running metalhead

almost vegan, or better said plant based.

We still eat bio eggs (we have a local store here and the hens are known) and bio cheese.

Check this out: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/protein#lys

(It's about lysine in a vegan diet)

I have also been able to see in my diet log that even on days with low amounts of protein (as low as 30g) and 100% plant -based food I still reach and surpass the RDA of any essential aminoads by far (120% to more than 200%). I may thus say that there isn't such a high need for protein as commonly accepted.

Note that "protein" is nothing more than aminoacids in a convenient package and besides these essential ones the rest can be synthesised by us.

Regarding the essentials: For an athlete the intake of enough essential amino-acids shouldn't be a problem at all as we are talking about grams and not about a percentage, so that with our higher than usual energy intake we also get more essential amino-acids as usual.

It is also good to know that "artificial" aminoacids such as these found in supplements are of bacterial and fungal origin, thus vegan safe (just  avoid the dreaded capsules made from gelatine).

If you are curious I recommend opening a diet log in any service that provides tracking of micro-nutrients. As these are commercial services I won't recommend any particular one.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                                - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                                - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                                - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                                - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                                - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)