Divided Long runs (Read 286 times)

I've been doing an 11.5 mile Sunday morning run for about ten years now.  I have tried doing my long run on Saturday and midweek, with no noticeable difference in marathon time.  The only difference I have ever found is that I'm more tired on the Sunday run if I did a long run the previous Saturday.  I think I will do most of my long runs midweek this year.  YMMV.

Heh.  Tried to fake my long run this way this week.  Didn't have time for an 18 miler so I did back to back 13 milers.

I ended up with the feeling that it didn't really accomplish what an 18 miler would have, but that it was good training anyway.

Village people

Me too,  me too!

One for me too, please.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Where can I buy couple of these switches?

I'm a board member of a small company in west Africa that exports glycogen/fat switches, by hand, with traditional village-based labor, very wholesome, very green.

We have a large lot of glycogen/fat switches, which I would like to make available to you.

I just need a trustworthy individual to help with some small international banking issues.

Please to help.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Best Present Ever

I'm a board member of a small company in west Africa that exports glycogen/fat switches, by hand, with traditional village-based labor, very wholesome, very green.

We have a large lot of glycogen/fat switches, which I would like to make available to you.

I just need a trustworthy individual to help with some small international banking issues.

Please to help.

I have a large check I can send you for the switches.  I can't cash my check in the US because of international complications, though.  Could you send me a cashier's check for $5000 out of the funds I send once you deposit my check?  Thanks SO MUCH.  This should work well for both of us.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I only split/divide my long runs when I absolutely have to (due to schedule). Otherwise, get 'er done.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I'm far from experienced when it comes to marathons and ultras, but I can tell you my thoughts based on how I run.  I do pretty high mileage weeks, higher than what you would run in training for a marathon (70-100 mile weeks), but I split my runs.  A high mileage day might be a 12 mile morning run, and a 6 mile afternoon run.  Then I would do that three or four days a week.  And the other run days would be more like 12 miles, with one or two 6 mile days as rest days.  So, lots of miles but no long runs.

All that being said, I am in NO WAY ready to run a marathon.  I trained like this a couple years ago and thought I could do one just on my own and I got about 19 miles in before my IT band seized on me.  It went downhill from there and I had to walk/run the last five miles (a limping, pathetic and painful run).

If I decide to try the marathon again, I will most definitely not split a long run like that.  There is definitely a reason why it is in the training plans.

Leah, mother of dogs

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I'm far from experienced when it comes to marathons and ultras, but I can tell you my thoughts based on how I run.  I do pretty high mileage weeks, higher than what you would run in training for a marathon (70-100 mile weeks), but I split my runs.  A high mileage day might be a 12 mile morning run, and a 6 mile afternoon run.  Then I would do that three or four days a week.  And the other run days would be more like 12 miles, with one or two 6 mile days as rest days.  So, lots of miles but no long runs.

All that being said, I am in NO WAY ready to run a marathon.  I trained like this a couple years ago and thought I could do one just on my own and I got about 19 miles in before my IT band seized on me.  It went downhill from there and I had to walk/run the last five miles (a limping, pathetic and painful run).

If I decide to try the marathon again, I will most definitely not split a long run like that.  There is definitely a reason why it is in the training plans.

300 miles a month. I  am guessing you can BQ! Did you taper?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

300 miles a month. I  am guessing you can BQ! Did you taper?

No, lol.  I am not fast.  I tapered before my 26.2 mile run (did not enter an official race) for a week, but it took me just over  four hours to finish.  I was doing great at the halfway point (1:40) but the second half was a disaster.  I didn't eat anything during it either, which was also a mistake.

Leah, mother of dogs

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

No, lol.  I am not fast.  I tapered before my 26.2 mile run (did not enter an official race) for a week, but it took me just over  four hours to finish.  I was doing great at the halfway point (1:40) but the second half was a disaster.  I didn't eat anything during it either, which was also a mistake.

"Did not enter an official race" runner speak for no taper. 1:40 at the half is a PR for me. A 1:45 1st half and 1:50 2nd half = 3:35:00. I did 1:50 / 1:47 PR 3:37:38. 1800 miles for the year. 2500+ miles i would have cake walked into Boston. I apologize for  getting so far off topic.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Sultan of slug

It seems like a single long run would be much more effective at simulating the physiological and psychological rigors of running a marathon, as others have said.

If you're splitting your runs, though, you could get some benefit by limiting your carbohydrate intake between runs. I've read about this a few times lately, in posts by Renato Canova on a certain other running forum and in this RT article. I've read many places that one of the main functions of the long run, when training for a marathon at least, is teaching your body to burn fat more efficiently and continue to run when glycogen is in short supply.

If that's indeed the case, as Canova seems to think, then you can at least simulate that aspect of the long run by denying your body a resupply of carbs between your runs.