4 legged training partners (Read 712 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

ABCGreys, bless you for rescuing those Greyhounds, that is so great! I have two Dobermans, both rescue dogs. Dobes are also frequent victims of abuse by people who want a "mean" dog, then when they get one and find out that the dog is not vicious, they abuse the dog, trying to make it mean. It's very sad. Anyway my Dobes are good running partners (and shorthairs, which is important in a warm climate). Unfortunately one is getting old and is limited to short runs, and the other is on the DL due to a lame leg. Man, she REALLY hates it when we go running without her.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

We have a German Short-haired Pointer. Don't know if they are similar to the Retrievers but ours sheds like crazy! LOL! Way more than our lab. I figured she wouldn't and that's one of the reasons we got her. Wrong! Little, short white hairs everywhere! She's great to run with though. The vet said she's okay to run the whole marathon distance with me. He said I'm gonna reach my limit *way* before she does. She's bred to run though the fields all day. She's been a really good dog so far. Not really hyper, very smart and great with the kids. Teresa
        CAN NOT WAIT for my Golden Retriever to get old enough to run with!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Jeffrey

We love GSHPs! They have beautiful coloring variations. From what we've experienced they have more similarities in temperament to a Vizsla [a fellow dog-bird/pointer] than a Retriever. Both the V and GSHP love to run ... and run ... and run. Smile You have to know what you are getting into with these guys, right - tons of exercise! Our V always simmers down after her daily run. Just like her owner! Smile On a related note, she sheds like crazy around this time of year too.
          We have a German Short-haired Pointer. Don't know if they are similar to the Retrievers but ours sheds like crazy! LOL! Way more than our lab. I figured she wouldn't and that's one of the reasons we got her. Wrong! Little, short white hairs everywhere! She's great to run with though. The vet said she's okay to run the whole marathon distance with me. He said I'm gonna reach my limit *way* before she does. She's bred to run though the fields all day. She's been a really good dog so far. Not really hyper, very smart and great with the kids. Teresa
            I'm hoping that my 12 week old puppy, Sonny, will make a good running partner. He's a Golden Retriever/German Shorthair Pointer mix. Right now I run with him in short bursts (usually on grass at a park). He's definitely quicker than I am on the take off. I eventually catch up with him though.
              Mrs. H is almost ready to give the green light on a dog. probably going to be a shelter dog but am looking for recommendations on breeds - gotta be good w/ kids, not shed a ton, and likes to run but won't go insane if it doesn't get to exercise every 20 minutes.
              I run with my 7 year old black lab - he goes nuts (i.e., barks his head off for 10-15 minutes) if he sees me in running clothes and he doesn't get to go. I'll let him go as far as 5 miles, but if it's over 70 degrees or really high humidity, he has to stay home. Running has really helped him behave better all around. Labs are great running partners and most are great with kids - my cousins love to play with mine and somehow he knows that he's bigger than they are and takes it easy with them. In my experience, labs shed quite a bit. I used to run with my border collie mix (talk about high energy!), but she's 10.5 years old now and just can't go far enough. She used to run up to 12 miles with me, but now she sticks to walks under 2 miles. I don't trust her with children, but maybe if she had been around kids more as a puppy she would be better. It's not like she's vicious or anything, but she nipped at one of my cousins when my cousin was sitting on my lap. When we're out walking, I make her sit while kids pet her and we haven't had any problems. She doesn't shed much at all, and she is the smartest dog in the world Big grin
                I'm jealous of all you dog owners. Maybe tomorrow I'll leash up our pet turtle and take him on my run. *lol* Poor Bob (his name), I think he'd be a little upset with me after that bumpy ride. I'm totally kidding!! I'd sooner take our pet lizard out, at least he won't make sparks as I run. Big grin (*lol* --- just kidding, no animals will be harmed for the sake of my running!)

Michelle

Wingz

Professional Noob

Anyone know how Boxers are for running partners?

Roads were made for journeys...

Anyone know how Boxers are for running partners?
                    There are a lot of Boxers in my neighborhood but I never see anyone running with them. There's even an albino one, he's a little creepy actually. Now that I'm thinking about it, I never see anyone running with a dog around here.

Michelle

Mutt is the way to go
                      Amen! I love shelter pets!! I may leash up the cats .... Evil grin
                      2009: BQ?
                      joker515

any idea if an English springer spanial (the family just got one its almost 5 months old)
                        the runners will take over the world, we are well trained and have a very high level of endurance as well as strength
                          I love running with my Siberians. Big grin However, they can only run between late October and the end of Feb. It's just too hot for them the rest of the year. Surprised
                            Hi Great news that you're getting a dog. I've got 2 terriers, one Lakeland and one Wire Haired Fox. I dont do road running with them as they find it amusing to swap sides when running and almost trip me up but I do take them fell running, well when I say them my Lakie is getting a bit older now so I tend to take the foxie, he loves it. We dont have kids but all of my friends have now and for dogs that arent used to children they are fabulous, my cousin came round with her 1 year old last week and she grabbed the beard of the foxie and although he yelped he didnt snak at her and even continued letting her stroke him. They have great characters, dont lose much hair and are only small. They will walk or run where ever they get taken but arent fussed if they dont get out for a walk every day neither. keep us posted.

Wally & Leela

I'd suggest a Weimaraner. They have LOTS of energy & love being by their masters side @ all times. I can't wait until mine gets old enough to take out running. She is 7 months old and I have taken her on slow 1 mile runs & she just loves it. Also, it wears them out so they tend to relax and behave better.

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop. --Confucius

x-country_grl

OMG, training w/ ur dogs is wicked. i train w/ my dog. She's a German Shepard half Chow. She's 8 yr/o!!!