The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Zeb/Flavio yes it was a bit cheeky of me to mention the vasectomy but it was a simple procedure for me and now I can enter the female division in races right ? 

I'd answer that but I'm not a biologist...(sorry, obscure supreme court hearing reference).

Keen - Back to your normal massive week, nice one.  What was the stupid mistake?  My week was lighter than usual, but not as light as my usual post-race week.  I feel great and ready to go!

Flavio - How was the gig?  Sometimes I find my mosh pit fitness is lacking even when running fit.

Caitlin - Good plan to try and do everything right.  A race in potentially miserable conditions could be a really good confidence boost if you execute it well, obviously with lower expectations.

We only plan out a few weeks in advance but it looks like I'll be up at 80+km/week in about 2-3 weeks.  There's a long time between now and the marathon (October 2) so I'm sure he will manage a slow increase with plenty of down weeks so I'm not cooked by race day.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Zebano - Thanks! I have a Fenix 7. For that metric to change noticeably it really only takes a single run - a couple weeks ago it went from near-zero to 25% with a single 5 mile run in ~90F temps. Then it trended down to 4% because all my runs were in much cooler temps. Over the past 7 days it has gone up to 85%, though, and I can certainly tell a big difference in how even midday doubles feel.

Piwi - Thank you very much!

Steve - The stupid mistake was looking at a metric on my watch I hardly ever use and confusing it for another one I hardly ever use. It was a good deal more humid that morning than usual (a storm literally stopped as I walked out the door), but my first 20' interval went well. The second felt much harder and halfway through I looked at my watch and saw the "instant pace" metric showing 20 sec/mi slower than the last interval and I thought it was "lap pace" (in actuality I was maybe 5 sec/mi slower over 2.5k). Feeling bad over the humidity and thinking I was going much slower than I actually was convinced me to pull the plug right then when I absolutely could have/should have fought on.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zeb - I have no idea though I'd hope for a sub 5 1500

Keen - yeah the ticket said 4pm but the show actually started 8pm. I arrived at 3pm thinking it would start at 4 then waited 5 hours heh. Not the worst wait though, the organizers played all their albums front to back on the big speakers.

You need to cut down on your metrics Mr Numbers guy 😁

Piwi - if you feel female you can enter their races.

Steve - heh I was intentionally far back. The show was spectacular, I've been to their concert in Sao Paulo back in 2011 but this was stadium big for 60K people, the experience is incredible. The industrial atmosphere, the heavy sounds, they sing in German, very aggressive songs. You just can't help but flex your muscles and headbang 😁

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

Zeb - I have no idea though I'd hope for a sub 5 1500

Seems like a good initial goal. I just noticed you do your workouts on a beach? Mile/1500 training is one time where I really feel I need the consistency and constant feedback of a track.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

zebano

Zebano - Thanks! I have a Fenix 7. For that metric to change noticeably it really only takes a single run - a couple weeks ago it went from near-zero to 25% with a single 5 mile run in ~90F temps. Then it trended down to 4% because all my runs were in much cooler temps. Over the past 7 days it has gone up to 85%, though, and I can certainly tell a big difference in how even midday doubles feel.

interesting, that jives with my experience nicely. What I'm hearing is your watch says your ready to run Badwater.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Keen - Glad to hear you felt good about your training week despite the glitch.  Sometimes I think I never really get used to the heat & humidity of a NJ summer.

Zebano - I hope you can find some music you like.  Being able to play with your kids is cool.  My son plays the viola and hopes he and I can play together in a community orchestra some day.  I had one of those 70-degree-near-100%-humidity races; it wasn't run.

Flavio - 4 hours is kind of a big time discrepancy for a concert start time.  I'm glad you enjoyed the show after all.

CCoakley - I hope the Hansons plan works for you.  I like it, but not all do.  For an August race, does that mean you're skipping most of the speed work and jumping in with the strength work?

Steve - Nice recovery week.  Enjoy the down time and anticipate the miles to come.  My ankle seems better today, though the humidity is also much lower today.  If all I have is some mild achiness when it's humid, I can live with that.

Watson - Glad to hear your wife's race was full distance.

DW - I didn't mind reading your discussion of hormones at all.  The human body is a fascinating thing; there are so many ways it can be affected for good or bad.  For me, I think it was more the weather (or change in weather) than dehydration with regard to my ankle.  I drink a lot of water not only because I'm a runner, but also because I've had kidney stones and one of the best ways to prevent stones from recurring is hydration (and I really don't need any more kidney stones).

Piwi - It's always nice when a new pair of shoes feels good.  It's like an off-cycle Christmas present.

I'm getting back to some speed work after many months of focusing on longer distances.  I met my running partner at the track this morning and we had lovely conditions.  Birds were singing, the sun was just rising in a clear sky, the temperature was barely 60º (15C) with low humidity, and there was just a light breeze.  The plan was to run 8 600m repeats with 400m recoveries.  After the first two, I was beginning to doubt the wisdom of trying to do 8.  After the first four, we changed direction to give our legs a break from always turning left.  Something in that reversal rejuvenated me and in fact my last two 600s felt better than the first two.  I got a total of 9 miles on the day in part because the shortcut I used to take has been fenced off so now I have an extra ½ mile to go in each direction to/from the track, which isn't a bad thing in the big picture.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I just noticed you do your workouts on a beach? Mile/1500 training is one time where I really feel I need the consistency and constant feedback of a track.

Maybe you're confusing me with Piwi? I do mine on street roads and sometimes by the river. There's a beach in the next town but it's too far to go for a workout.

I'd love to use a track but there is none available Sad

Fred - I just wanted to clarify that Rammstein was not responsible for that. They were always supposed to start at 8 and they started precisely on time, like the good Germans that they are.

It's the ticket sales site that put the wrong time in it, I have no clue why

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

ccoakley

Flavio, that’s a long time to wait.  Were you the only one or was there just a crowd of people for 4 hrs?  Glad you had a great time

Zebano, I think I just followed you on Strava.  Sometimes it takes some sleuthing when the forum names and Strava names differ so much.  For what it’s worth I have a Garmin forerunner 745 and my heat went from 17% yesterday to 24% today.  If it really does get to 90s this weekend I’ll probably be at 100% by next week.  Yet last summer when Garmin had me at 100% acclimated it still felt 100% miserable so I’m not really sure about this metric.

Keen, very nice you’ve already acclimated.  We had about a week of trending hot weather and then a cold front that took me back down to 0.

Piwi, nice on the new shoes

Steve, my current HM PR is actually from this race in miserable conditions so weather is not an excuse this time for not going for a new PR.

Fred, I’m starting at week 4 or 5 so it looks like there’s still some speedwork.  Nice workout this morning.

Alright I’ll attempt race weather complaining.  High of 96 for Sat’s trail 10k and 85 for Sun’s trail HM.  Sun pm a thunderstorm is supposed to roll in so I imagine Sun am will be pretty, pretty humid.  But a few years ago, there was Noah’s Ark level rain the Friday before the races and they had to reroute everything off the trails so at least it will be dry this year and we can stay on the trails.  Did I do it right?

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Marky_Mark_17

Alright I’ll attempt race weather complaining.  High of 96 for Sat’s trail 10k and 85 for Sun’s trail HM.  Sun pm a thunderstorm is supposed to roll in so I imagine Sun am will be pretty, pretty humid.  But a few years ago, there was Noah’s Ark level rain the Friday before the races and they had to reroute everything off the trails so at least it will be dry this year and we can stay on the trails.  Did I do it right?

I approve of this post!  But honestly that forecast is so rough it's almost beyond weather complaining and into the 'you just have to laugh about it' territory.

Definitely got some sort of bug.  Took Mon and Tues off, felt a bit better this morning so went for an easy run but it still felt pretty average. It's like having a cold but without any of the sinus congestion, if that makes sense.  I blame Flavio!!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

CCoakley  - which half in August?  I know that RNR VA Beach used to be then, but I thought that one went away?

CK - I'm fascinated by this heat acclimation metric, which my watch does not appear to have.

Piwi - I'm glad you're liking the Adios 6.  I didn't respond before, but yes, I was running in them for a while.  I have moved away from them just because the tongue is way too short - if I do a lace-lock, the laces bind above the edge of the tongue and cut into my skin through my sock.  I can still use the shoe with the addition of make-up sponges underneath the laces, but it was easier just to shift to the Takumi Sen 8.

And....we might end up going the vasectomy route after all.    I hadn't mentioned it before, but my first try at getting an IUD was last Friday.  Couldn't get it in, so the doctor told me to come back to a different office where they had a fancy ultrasound machine to help guide things.  The doctor also gave me some medication to prepare my cervix, and so I took that last night.  With the unfortunate side effect that I sat out this morning's workout because I felt lousy.

Unfortunately, the ultrasound technician was out sick today.  I went in anyway, and a second doctor tried to play ultrasound expert, but apparently my internal girl parts are all rotated and impossible to see unless you are an ultrasound expert (they assured me that they were there, though).

However, they were able to confirm that my girl parts are very small -- too small for the IUD I was supposed to get.

So now I have try 3 scheduled for next week, when hopefully the ultrasound tech will be back AND they'll have a smaller IUD available.  If that doesn't work. then I guess I have to discuss other options.

Funny (or not) side story about vasectomies - a friend was telling me yesterday about a couple that she knew - he had a vasectomy.  And a few months later she was pregnant.  Leading to all sorts of questions about infidelity, etc.  As it turns out, vasectomies can and do get screwed up.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

ccoakley

DW, it used to be called the Patrick Henry HM but they rebrands it the Ashland HM and it's in Ashland.  Really a very miserable race by this group's standards.  Very small, guaranteed miserable weather, and rolling hills with the steepest incline around mile 11 or 12.  It's put on by the same group that does the Richmond marathon.

https://www.sportsbackers.org/events/ashland-half-marathon/

Good luck getting the IUD figured out.  I did not know that was an advantage I had being on the larger side 

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Funny (or not) side story about vasectomies - a friend was telling me yesterday about a couple that she knew - he had a vasectomy.  And a few months later she was pregnant.  Leading to all sorts of questions about infidelity, etc.  As it turns out, vasectomies can and do get screwed up.

Vasectomies are not immediately effective; sperm can remain present for a few months after the procedure.  The failure was less likely with the procedure than with either the doctor's warning to the patient or the patient's listening to the doctor.  The best practice is to get a post-procedure semen test to verify no sperm are present, but not all doctors insist on this and even when they do, up to 30% of patients don't follow through with the test.  As with all birth control, you need to follow the directions for the best protection (so even if the procedure is botched, the test reveals the mistake and you can try again, or use other prophylaxis).

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Fred ah yes Ive done that test. Such a waste of 20 secs of my life 

DW aparently my Mums IUD came out with me....

My uroligist said if the vasecotmy failed then I would get a free 2nd one.

I hope you can get all of this sorted soon.

Takumi 8s look awesome.

Flavio Ive done a couple of beach runs lately. They can be a nice change of scenery but you are fully exposed to wind and sun and can see kms ahead which can make it intimidating.

Mark are you still testing for covid ?

My last 2 runs have been very poor with high heart rate for the pace. I think its mostly because its been very warm here and Ive been running in the middle of the day rather than my preferred early runs.

I need to start some sort of speedwork which I havent done for months but my base is pretty low.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

And in non-birth control news - I am back running.  I went to the physio yesterday, basically short easy runs are OK plus some rehab work.  I ran 2.4km (1.5 miles) which went pretty well.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

watsonc123

Plus I'm also doing the Rotorua marathon, 17 Sep.  Way too far out for a time aim.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25