The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

JamesD

JamesD

On heat acclimation, last year I read somewhere reasonably reputable (maybe the now-defunct Podium Runner website) that it takes about 10 runs of an hour's length within a few weeks to get acclimated to hot weather.  I'm partway there, and these days I seem to handle the heat reasonably well during runs, but I feel more tired in the evening a few hours afterwards than I will once I'm fully acclimated.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Marky_Mark_17

Mark are you still testing for covid ?

Yep.  Negatives all around.  I booked an appointment with the doctor for tomorrow afternoon.

Around an hour or two after that I went from feeling like garbage to feeling pretty much normal again.  Super weird.  But I hope it stays that way.  I was all set to have another day off tomorrow but if I feel decent in the morning I'll probably try another easy run.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

zebano

Maybe you're confusing me with Piwi? I do mine on street roads and sometimes by the river. There's a beach in the next town but it's too far to go for a workout.

I'd love to use a track but there is none available Sad

Nah you were running down by the water (river) and I just assumed it was a beach. I was just impressed you were doing 400s at 1500 pace on the road.

Caitlyn - yup you followed me. Lol about 100% acclimation = 100% miserable. Yeah there's just a temp where it's simply too hot to run well.

Mark - glad you're feeling better.

DW - you have more medical setbacks than anyone I know. I'm just glad none of them are life threatening. Best of luck figuring out the IUD thing.

Piwi - but what does your watch say about your heat acclimatization?

Watson - Great news.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

And in non-birth control news - I am back running.  I went to the physio yesterday, basically short easy runs are OK plus some rehab work.  I ran 2.4km (1.5 miles) which went pretty well.

Watson that's good news. Oh and did you crack a joke ? That's my job on here 

Zeb luckily my watch is pre era of telling me stuff so thankfully I don't get silly messages from it.

Mark yeah I would rather just get it over with too. It's a credit to you that you ran such a good time on Saturday while carrying that bug.

I finally stretched my legs out this afternoon and ran a sub 20 5k portion in my run. This gives me some confidence post covid that I can still run faster if I try.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - I'm finding it more interesting than I did earlier in the week. It's based on heat (pulls temp data from your phone, though I have no idea how local those temperature reports can be) and training time/intensity (logically, longer/more intense efforts impact it more).
            What sparked some more interest is that it seems to move slower the more acclimated you get. 12.5 easy miles at 79* this morning only moved it 7 points (81-88%), but a week ago lower temps/shorter runs were making much more of an impact.

Unfortunate about the IUD install failures, but I suppose it was good that the good doctor was at least able to determine that all the parts are there. <<--- bad attempt at internet humor, I'm sure that tone comes across differently via text than it does via inner monologue.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Caitlin - Nah, there were about 20 thousand people there early.

2 races on the weekend, you’re getting greedy 😁

Mark - Yup, jinxed you good 😈 I hope the doc can figure it out or it just goes away.

Piwi - 😂 added that to the front page. Nice one with the sub 20 5k. Now quit slacking and enter the local park run

Watson - Added your race

Zeb - It’s funny I sort of have that 5 min 1500 pace locked down and can tune to it rather quickly.

Birth Control - Als I'm saying is having multiple layers of security is best 😁

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Caitlin is up next with 2 races, a 10k on sat and a hm on Sunday.

Go Caitlin!

ccoakley

Caitlin is up next with 2 races, a 10k on sat and a hm on Sunday.

Go Caitlin!

Thanks.  The city just shutdown a foot bridge that connects trails on the 2 sides of the river because concrete started falling from the car bridge that crosses over the foot bridge.  They had to reroute the course and now instead of being different courses the entire 10k course is a subset of the HM course (and probably the best part).  That and the weather forecast this weekend has me rethinking doing both.  But I'm not sure which to choose.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

zebano

Go Caitlinn, were you planning to race either of them? or just finish them ? If so I'd keep the one you plan to race, and if it's hot I'd choose the shorter one but that's just my $0.02.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

ccoakley

They are both trail races so I was not planning on 'racing' them.  I was going to try to beat my 2019 time on the 10k but now it's a different course so....  Mainly it was a safe way to learn the trails better to feel more comfortable running them on my own.  Leaning towards just the HM but we'll see.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Birth Control - Als I'm saying is having multiple layers of security is best 😁

I used to work with a woman who would help out her mother (a school teacher/counselor) with talks on birth control as part of class. Her cautionary tale was that when she and her husband got married they didn't want a baby anytime soon and so used "multiple layers" but still got pregnant within a couple months of getting married.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I used to work with a woman who would help out her mother (a school teacher/counselor) with talks on birth control as part of class. Her cautionary tale was that when she and her husband got married they didn't want a baby anytime soon and so used "multiple layers" but still got pregnant within a couple months of getting married.

What are the odds they were using the condoms to make balloon animals 😂 I mean, if they used multiple methods *accurately* and still got pregnant that's some outstanding fertility right there. Though we know what happened to Rachel and Ross so you never know (I suppose you all should be able to catch this reference)

Good Luck Caitlyn in both Races!

Mark good news you are still testing negative! On that same note my Wife tested positive yesterday (she is doing fine for far) I have remained negative and am going to stay at an Airbnb the next couple of days so I don't risk getting it.  We are supposed to be on a plane in 8 days we both need to have negative results or it could ruin our travel plans.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Mountains to Main HM

After GHS I knew I needed to continue to increase my mileage in order to improve.  The week after GHS I started hitting 40+mpw and managed to continue that for 4 straight weeks.  I felt I was heading in the right direction and then came Vacation.  The week we left I missed my normal weekend long runs and ended up with right at 30 miles for the week. the week while on vacation I finished out the week with 12 miles. 

My totals for the last 8 weeks leading up was a slight increase coming in with 273 miles vs 259 for GHS but not a significant increase.  

I felt like I was prepared to run about the same pace but I was shooting for sub 1:37 so about a min+ faster than GHS.

On Friday the night before I left work a bit early and headed the other direction from the house to pick up my race packet I made it to packet pick up with plenty of time and browsed around the bike shop, where it was for a few minutes. I saw a couple people I know for the Greenville track club and talked to them a bit before getting on the road back to the house.

I arrived back at the house about 730 and hadn’t eaten yet neither my wife or I felt like cooking so we walked across the parking lot to a deli and I got a sandwich and some fries, probably not the best choice the night before a race.

I spent the rest of the evening getting my close laid out and ready and watching TV.

About 10pm I was ready to get in bed when we started to hear a ruckus coming from what we thought was the next door Apartment. It is an Airbnb and we have had an occasional guest that has made some noise, we initially heard a toddler whining and crying and just being fussy. Then we started to hear a door slam. once, twice a few minutes later more baby crying and running around then more doors slamming shut. 

After a few minutes I went out into the hall and knocked on their door to ask them to keep it down.  As soon as I knocked on their door realized it was not them slamming the door, but it was our downstairs neighbor slamming a door inside her apartment, at this point repeatedly BAM BAM BAM.  Not knowing what was going on we ran downstairs to check on her to see if she was ok I was beating on her door asking if she was OK through her door, and I continued to hear a door slamming shut. Long story short she is ok just a nut job (she is selling and on her way out so can’t come soon enough). 

I finally get in bed at this point is is about 11:30pm and I have my alarm set for 4am.

Alarm goes off I grab a bit of a bagel and coffee so I am not hungry during the race this time Smile and then I spend about 20 minutes stretching and working out some knots a in my hamstrings and glutes.  I jump in the shower and get dressed and am ready to go by 530am.  I hit the road check my google maps and it says it will take an hour to arrive so I’ll get there about 630 for the 7am start.  That will give me about 30 minutes to warm up find a bath room and get to the starting line.

I arrive and find a good parking spot, I hurried up and jumped out and go for a quick jog to find the starting line and hopefully initiate the need to go to the bath room. 20 minutes go by and I make my way to the bathrooms, they had 3 at the park along with some portables.  I found one with the shortest line and waited. got in and finished up with a bout 5 minutes to spare and headed to the starting line, made my way towards the front and settled in.  Temps were just above 60 degrees with 95% humidity. 

Mile 1-3 

The gun goes off and I make my way to the starting line a few seconds later and hit my watch we are off.  The first 300 meters are around an old track, I settle in and start talking to this younger guy in his upper 20’s we chatted about a few different things and before we new it we had gone through the first mile which was pretty flat and then a steep down hill. I went way to fast. @ 7:18 I knew I needed to slow down and we backed off a bit mile 2 had an uphill followed by a step downhill we rolled across mile 2 at 7:28 to me I was still going must faster than I had planned so I decided to back off a bit more and it didn’t take long as we hit the 3rd steep hill in mile 3. slowly the guy I was chatting with pulled away and I didn’t speak to him until the finish line. I finished up mile 3 in 7:51 a little slower that planned and I am starting to feel the humidity in the air and I am already soaked with sweat. 

Mile 4-6 

Shortly into mile 4 my left big toe started hurting and I would deal with this until the finish. I was running by myself at this point with a couple about 20 meters in front of me 

(blue shirt guy and grey tank top girl) I would run alone and following them basically the rest of the race. I was able to get back on my planned pace for mile 4 coming in at 7:42

miles 5 and 6 quickly rolled off coming in at 7:41 and 7:26 while still following blue shirt guy and grey tank top girl.

Mile 7-9

By this time I had came through most of the drop in elevation and is basically rolling with little gains and just a bit more drops. I also caught a break from my toe hurting and was able to put in my fastest mile of the race. From there it was a steady decline in pace and in increase in the pain in my toe .mile 8, 7:21 mile 9, 7:25 still following blue shirt guy and grey tank top girl.

Mile 10-12

Shortly into mile 10 I notice my shirt had really started rubbing me the wrong way on my chest so I ended up pulling it off, trying not to lose my hat or glasses or trip and fall while doing it. I managed to not drop anything or fall down so I was just left with carrying it. 

Mile 10 came and went otherwise uneventful just trying to manage the pain in my toe coming in at 7:37 Miles 11 and 12 were more of the same although I did pass blue shirt guy but was still trailing grey tank top girl. 

Mile 13

overall I was still feeling pretty good and felt like I to pick up the pace and try and put a surge in on the last my to try and at least get a bit closer to my goal, about 400 in my left calf just locked up. (I am assuming due to a slight change in my gait due to my toe.) It forced me to stop and walk for a minute I reached down and messaged it to try and work it out and slowly started running and was able to build back up to a decent pace I had one slight relapse that caused me to slow a bit and I was passed by another guy. I was able to push forward again keeping a balance of not going to slow or to fast and locking it up again at that point I was like just don’t hurt yourself keep under control. 

I passed one person in the last 100 meters with a bit of a surge but he got me in the few meters as I was not trying to go all out to the finish.  ended up with a total time of 1:38:34 not my best finish or worst. Over all I am happy with the effort I made .

final thoughts

this was a tougher course that the one in February 

it was much warmer with higher humidity 

but all in all I am still undertrained> not enough mileage, not enough HM pace work to meet expectations 

I still have some time before December but for now I am taking a few days off. 

I head to Guam next week to see my son and then I will start evaluate what my plan is going into the summer and fall.

I also need to reevaluate my choice of shoes. My feet and toes are the one thing I can point to that are limiting my desire to run.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Corey nice report. What shoes were you wearing?

Hope covid doesn't mess with your travel plans 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "