The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - losing the heat acclimation is slightly sad given how hard it feels like you have to work to earn it.  Nice week anyways.

Hashiritai - I was considering coming down to Welly for the half but my parents are moving that weekend.  It's one of those courses that would be quick on a good day (but in Welly, that's quite a big if!).  That and Buller Gorge are the only two big / famous HMs in the country I haven't run.  Maybe next year.  But I am hoping to come down for National 10k Road Champs in early Sept.  I came 3rd in the Masters in 2019, but then 2020 was a write-off for me and 2021 got canned due to lockdowns so I really haven't raced a quick 10k road course in over 2 years.

Caitlin - sorry you had a rough week, I know the feeling!  We get a bit of humid suckage here but not the extreme heatwaves that some of you have to deal with.

Flavio - I did push-ups like that for a while with my daughter on my back.  She's almost 30kg now though so not sure that's a good idea any more lol.

Steve - I had to google Maruia Springs.  Looks nice.

Zebano - taper time, hooray! Don't go mad like I do lol.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Caitlin I tend to lose motivation in summer too. I have to run early or it's not happening.

Steve how was the beauty spa at Maruia 

Mark no my daughter hasn't had covid. Her and my oldest son have escaped it so far. Even his girlfriend had it.

Speaking of famous halfs, what about Huntly ? Is that still going ?

Zeb great week. I did some 200s today too. The last one was at about world record marathon pace....

Fred I hope your sister recovers soon. My wife had it mildly and wasn't vaccinated and my 90 year old parents had it with no issues so don't stress too much.

Keen great week. Good old OKC weather !

I had to follow the Memphis grizzlies this year due to Adams been traded there so my OKC knowledge is fading 

Flavio I might have pipped you on the 200s today  if we start a rivalry it might push us harder 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Mark no my daughter hasn't had covid. Her and my oldest son have escaped it so far. Even his girlfriend had it.

Speaking of famous halfs, what about Huntly ? Is that still going ?

Good point, had forgotten Huntly.  Not what it used to be tbh.  Also it's the same weekend as Cambridge Half (I have an entry that rolled over from last year) so not this year unfortunately.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Caitlin - ugh, that’s frying brains temperature, I can tell you from first hand experience it’s not fun at all.

I even got a bit dizzy after my half the other day.

Re: mileage, I have no idea what kind of mileage I’ll get. I’ll just get through the workouts as best as possible and see where I land.

Zeb - 

I liked your Tuesday workout. Kill the legs with the 200s, then run 4xK to kill the aerobic capacity, then make you run on dead legs on the 200s again.

Yet somehow you managed to run the last ones faster.

Re: the coach, no, He’s only only strength coach. We keep constantly in touch and I let him know of upcoming races, taper weeks etc.

He sends me a routine twice a week via WhatsApp.

Also hey no need to be jealous if you don’t have a gorgeous lady helping you out.

James - CIA officer confirmed 😎

Keen - So far only the weight plates have volunteered 😂 .

Remember when we'd summon Darkwave from the shadows of that thread that gives participation trophies to over 50s with these kinds of images and comments?

Piwi - LOL I have no chance, I only have strength enough for about 5 200s then it deteriorates quickly. I might have to try a few times to break my 1500m PR, right now I probably can't break 5:10 and I need a 4:53

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Flavio, Mark - I'll volunteer for you, when you're ready to add 90+ kilos to your push-ups.

Piwi - Thanks, my sister is feeling better, having gone 48 hours without a fever now.  I think we in the NY City area are a little scarred because we were the epicenter for the US 2 years ago when so many people were dying that hospitals had to rent freezer trucks, so it's a little harder for us not to be worried.  My parents tested negative, so that's good.

Keen - Nice to hear you had a good week.  I'd take cooler weather over maintaining heat acclimatization, though I don't know your circumstances.

I met my RP on a nice, cool morning for some track work.  6 x 800m with 400m recoveries.  I was working hard from the very start, harder than usual for the target pace.  I'm going to take the easy excuse and blame yesterday's booster shot (between my sister's illness and my wife being a high-risk person, I opted not to wait any longer).  8½ miles run for the day.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

zebano

Flavio  it's clear that you're not very good at marketing because pushups with a cute girl on your back would ensure that you more than 4 youtube subscribers. Your workouts are trending faster, nice work.

Mark  I'm super excited to have gotten through a long training block with essentially 1 illness and (fingers crossed, knock on wood, payoff the voodoo priest etc.) no injuries! I'm super excited to race. I had to have a chat with coach as he wanted me to train through this and rip a mile in a couple weeks and I had to say, nope I've been working towards this for 4 months and it's time to taper and roll.

Piwi - WR marathon pace is crazy fast. Just shows how impressive the elites are. What is that, 34/200?

Fred shot is a good excuse, hope you feel better.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I had to do the dreaded treadmill test (ergometric test) earlier today as part of the bureaucracy to be a member athlete of the Portuguese athletics federation, which is in turn a requirement to sign up for the 1500m race in mid June (All track races in Portugal require you to be a member)

It killed my hips and legs Sad The treadmill was at 18 degrees by the end. I was huffing and puffing but my well trained heart was not reaching whatever number the doctor wanted (perhaps 90% of Max HR). At some point I had to ask to end the test as it's not fun to run with a mask on on 18 degrees of inclination 😁

I should get the results in about 3 or 4 days and then I'll finally be able to sign up for the race. This better be worth it.

JamesD

JamesD

James - CIA officer confirmed 😎

No, but close.  I worked for U.S. embassies, moving every two or three years with occasional assignments in Washington.  Mostly economic reporting & business promotion.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

zebano

I had to do the dreaded treadmill test (ergometric test) earlier today as part of the bureaucracy to be a member athlete of the Portuguese athletics federation, which is in turn a requirement to sign up for the 1500m race in mid June (All track races in Portugal require you to be a member)

It killed my hips and legs Sad The treadmill was at 18 degrees by the end. I was huffing and puffing but my well trained heart was not reaching whatever number the doctor wanted (perhaps 90% of Max HR). At some point I had to ask to end the test as it's not fun to run with a mask on on 18 degrees of inclination 😁

I should get the results in about 3 or 4 days and then I'll finally be able to sign up for the race. This better be worth it.

Did they have you do a max HR test first? That's really strange.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

moving every two or three years

Smart, before the police caught up to you 😂

JK, that is an interesting list of countries and I'm sure you have a wealth of stories to tell

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Did they have you do a max HR test first? That's really strange.

No, they do that 220 - age thing LOL

I guess they run it until you ask to end, and I wanted it to end as quickly as possible so long as I got their stamp 😎

zebano

No, they do that 220 - age thing LOL

I guess they run it until you ask to end, and I wanted it to end as quickly as possible so long as I got their stamp 😎

eww. I'm losing respect for the doctor

ccoakley

James, I see you got a good cover story. 

Zebano, sounds like you’re ready!!!

Fred, glad your sister is doing alright.  I’m sure today’s workout was a one off and you’ll be fine soon.

Keen, is it weird I wondered where you were the day you overslept and weren’t in my 7am Strava check?  Solid week and I’m sorry you’re losing your acclimation.

Piwi, unfortunately I’m stuck with 9am runs until the end of Jun when school’s over.

Flavio, that sounds dreadful.  Will you get any useful data from it?

I have a question about the recovery portion of an interval workout.  I did the 5 x 1k w/ 600m Hanson workout today and at the slower 10k pace I was able to slowly jog for the recovery whereas before when I was using a faster 10k pace I usually needed to walk the first part of the recovery.  Do you guys ever walk for recovery, if so what kinds of workouts?  Or is only needing a slow job something to strive for?  Or does recovery pace not matter at all as long as you hit your target pace for the intervals?

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I have a question about the recovery portion of an interval workout.  I did the 5 x 1k w/ 600m Hanson workout today and at the slower 10k pace I was able to slowly jog for the recovery whereas before when I was using a faster 10k pace I usually needed to walk the first part of the recovery.  Do you guys ever walk for recovery, if so what kinds of workouts?  Or is only needing a slow job something to strive for?  Or does recovery pace not matter at all as long as you hit your target pace for the intervals?

I try not to walk the recoveries.  I think the Hansons guideline is something like run the recoveries 50% slower than the repeats, so for me a roughly 4:00 800m would be followed by a 3:00 400m recovery.  I will admit that early in the workout my recoveries are faster and by the end they're noticeably slower, but I try to keep moving faster than a walk.

Taking too long during the recovery somewhat defeats one purpose of the workout, which is to adapt to running on tired legs.  Rest too much and you lose some of the fatigue that's intended to build up over the course of the entire workout.

That's my understanding, anyway.  Other plans/workouts set other targets.  YMMV.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Caitlin - No, not much, I had already done the same test 6 months ago.

So, both JackD and Luke Humphrey prefer you do active recovery, that is, jogging.

That seems to be the preferred option for aerobic workouts like the one you did. If you have to walk theoretically it means you did the repetition too fast.

I've seen a passive recovery (i.e. stand in place or walk) being used but for anaerobic training for races 1500 and under, cause otherwise your heart rate remains too high and you end up only testing your aerobic system.