The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

Cfar judging by reviews those Saucony shoes were one of the best last year. Let us know how they go for you.

Cc4life that's great that you are getting this thread underway with a race on Sunday. Good luck.

Fred I ran with my son when he was 12 to 15. That's what got me hooked. He's 24 now and still does the odd 4 miler with me.

Rp is coming to New Zealand? I'm not sure the country is ready for this 

I've managed to surpass my weekly 30km target and it's only Friday here. The Xmas gut around my waist motivated me 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

darkwave Do you use these for pool runs? I noticed you didn't specifically mention which pair you used so I guessed.

Just saw.

I pool-run barefoot.  I do deep water pool-running (usually in 12 feet of water), so my feet don't touch the ground until I exit the pool.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Rp is coming to New Zealand? I'm not sure the country is ready for this 

I'll make sure to bring some 40s.  I was partial to Mickeys so maybe, for forum reasons, I should bring those.

EDIT: In Kiwi units it doesn't sound the same. "Lets get some one point two liters." Maybe "Lets get some One Twos."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

watsonc123

RP - you'll probably need to spend some time and money, for quarantine.  It won't be cheap.   Of course everything could be different by then.

I'm sure the Next %'s are excellent.  But I don't think that they're better than everything else by "some margin".  That would make runners like Molly Siedel, Sarah Hall, Joyciline Jepkosgei, Guye Adola, Peres Jepchirchir etc. some margin better natural runners than the Nike sponsored athletes, which cannot be the case.

I'd very much recommend running in multiple shoes for the following reasons:

- Different shoes put different pressure on different parts of the body, so the variation is good.

- If the shoes get wet, then avoiding wearing them until fully dry reduces risks of fungal infection etc.

- It's good to to have different shoes for different paces, e.g. quicker running can be with lighter shoes.

My current shoes are:

Sketchers Razor Excess* - mainly for long runs and tempos

Nike Zoom Fly v2 - tempo and intervals, not much life in these left

Asics Metaracer - might race some 5k's in them, plus intervals

Saucony Endorphin Pro v1 - racing

Reebok Symmetros - easy and long runs

New Balance Zante Pursuit - mainly walk in these now, but might use for some intervals

Saucony Mad River - trail shoes

Salomon Sense Ride 4* - trail shoes, assuming they're good will be my trail race shoes

New Balance XC 788 Sarava - cross country race shoes

* Well, I've ordered them, yet to arrive

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Went out for another run tonight in the new shoes still feel good.

I did notice I was a bit sore tonight, nothing unbearable, I'm sure it is because I did 6x 15-20 second all out sprints during my run last night.

I've gotta increase my intensity a bit here and there to start getting my weight down.

cc4 good luck in the 5k!

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Picked up the Ghost 14s. Ghosts have been one of my regular training shoes for a while now. Going to give them a shot tonight while it begins to snow. Couple inches expected overnight tonight so tomorrows run could be a little interesting if all the neighbors don’t shovel.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

Picked up the Ghost 14s. Ghosts have been one of my regular training shoes for a while now. 

The Brooks Ghost were my one shoe for everything a few years a go, was particularly fond of the 10's, I used them for everyday training speed work, and MP and tempo runs.

I used the 11's for the same although I didn't like them as much as the 10s, and found a pair of 10's on sale and used for my marathon.

12's I just couldn't wear they were absolutely too tight across the top of my foot.

I found that the 13 were similar to the 11 although I don't like them as much I have been using them for the last year or so but I just don't find them as versatile.

let me know how the 14' are.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I'm taking my son for his first NYRR race in Central Park tomorrow - a 10k that covers the full upper and lower loops of the park.  The forecast is calling for 22º feels like 12º.  I hope he forgives me....

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                  10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Only been on the one run with the Ghost 14's but they ran nicely.  Not too tight.  Then again, I haven't had any trouble with the 13's or 12's.  Ultimately, they didn't feel much different so they worked fine for me.  I'm not exactly the best person to provide a shoe review.  If they don't hurt or aren't too tight, they work!

It looks like the race on Sunday will be DNS.  Going to be really cold during the race and possible freezing rain (pretty likely) with 20-30mph wind gusts.  Although I still may go to just run with some guys, it wouldn't really be a sub 18 attempt anymore.  Oh well!  I'll get a long run in and start my half marathon training block.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

Marky_Mark_17

I'm sure the Next %'s are excellent.  But I don't think that they're better than everything else by "some margin".  That would make runners like Molly Siedel, Sarah Hall, Joyciline Jepkosgei, Guye Adola, Peres Jepchirchir etc. some margin better natural runners than the Nike sponsored athletes, which cannot be the case.

Take a look at what all the fast runners who aren't quite good enough to get sponsored are wearing.  The vast majority I see are wearing Vaporflies.  And I know for a fact that many of them have tried different types of carbon fibre shoes too (so it's not solely down to Nike marketing!).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Take a look at what all the fast runners who aren't quite good enough to get sponsored are wearing.  The vast majority I see are wearing Vaporflies.  And I know for a fact that many of them have tried different types of carbon fibre shoes too (so it's not solely down to Nike marketing!).

Some of that might be that Nike was first to the market on this by a year plus.  So there's just a lot more VFs out there.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I bought Nike’s because JMac suggested them. I was not willing to do my own financially backed research.

cc4 bummer on the race.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

A cold morning for my son's first 10k in Central Park.  19º with wind making it feel colder.  The cold was something of a mental block, but he got the job done.  We ran it together in a bit over an hour.  He wasn't thrilled while running, but spoke well of the race to his mother afterwards.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Fred great stuff. That's so cold. It's 19 degrees here at 7am but that's Celsius 👌

I watched alot of shoe reviews last year and it seemed some of Nikes competitors were catching up with carbon plated shoes like Adidas etc.

NEXT % still was mostly the shoe of choice amongst alot of non sponsored shoe reviewers.

My week the biggest for about 12 weeks. I did one tiny 3km fast bit yesterday to see where I'm at and probably a tick under 20 mins if I ran a 5k right now.

Weekly for period: From: 03/01/2022 To 09/01/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                              in m
                              03/01 2hr surf then run 6.22 10.01 00:48:32 07:48 04:51 7
                              04/01 With Phill 7.46 12.01 00:58:28 07:50 04:52 11
                              05/01 Morning Run 6.22 10.01 00:50:25 08:06 05:02 6
                              07/01 Morning Run 6.29 10.12 00:51:42 08:13 05:07 6
                              08/01 First faster bit for a few months. Don't think I could hold it for 2 more kms 😔 6.23 10.02 00:48:50 07:50 04:52 14
                              09/01 Beach, swim, then barefoot 4.98 8.02 00:43:13 08:41 05:23 19

Total distance: 60.18km

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

ccoakley

Fred, glad your son had a good experience despite the cold.

Piwi, awesome that you're progressing so well.

Just got back from an amazing training run for my Feb 12 hr challenge. The goal was 4 hrs and I ended up with 4:12 running and 4:28 elapsed with 23.2 mi which works out to 5.15 mi/hr Obviously I won't be able to sustain that pace for the entire 12 hrs but I feel really good about my 50 mi goal.  If things go well race day it's definitely within reach.

I set it up so I did 6 x 20 min run with 2 min walk in between.  Then I stopped by the house refilled my water/Gatorade, used the bathroom, and made a turkey sandwich.  I had 0 desire to eat a turkey sandwich and the thought of it made me gag a little but I wanted to see what would happen.  It took me 7 min walking to eat the sandwich and then I did 4 x 15 min run with 2 min walks.  I'm shocked by how well the sandwich went down and I had no issues running with it in my stomach.  Then stopped by the house again ( I didn't need to but wanted to practice pit stops).  Refilled fluids, used bathroom, and grabbed a cupcake.  Then I did 3.5 x 12 min jog with 2 min walk.  I am thrilled with how well this run went.  I have never felt this good at the 23 mile mark of a marathon.  My main takeaways are: 

A) going inside the house is a huge time suck and I really need to fine tune the process as much as I can

B) a turkey sandwich is a great choice

C) 50 mi is a challenging but achievable goal 

I'll do a 5-6hr training run again in 3 weeks and I'm actually looking forward to it.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)